Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Poll

Question: Please choose one

Options:

I practice the religion I was raised into

I practice the religion that I chose

I left the religion that I was raised in because it didn't mke sense to me

I'm not a religious person

I don't believe in God

I'm looking for a religion that makes sense to me

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 57

View Results

Or has your religion been indoctrinated into you?

If you're not religious, when did you make the concious choice not to be?

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Replies (31-40):
Iconoclast
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I believe in God my parents did also.  My parents never attended church but allowed me to choose whatever belief I felt to be right for me.  They taught me that God is all love, all knowing, all powerful and this belief I carry with me till this day.  I attended a "church school" during my college years and realized that all religions purposely ignore the core of God's teachings in exchange for their pride/power/control/money to be built up by demonizing others.  This is something I do not agree with and choose to walk my own funky path to God and not man's.

"Religion is nothing more than a political party organized around some guy's moral views."

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I was raised Jewish & am still Jewish but practice it differently now. I also participate in some Pagan practices.
ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Quoting MommyBee12808:

I was raised Catholic but now I'm an atheist.
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I practice the religion I grew up in and chose to remain. My parents gave us the option to explore other religions and whether or not we wanted our bat/bar mitzvah. I'd have to say though I'm not consciously religious but consciously faithful.
PurdueMom
by Sherri on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I was raised in the Friends (Quaker) Church.    When I was 16, the minister of our church left and my mom did not like the new minister.  So we stopped attending.  I went to a variety of churches with my friends, but their churches were definitely not in line with what I believed.  Raised on the simplicity of the Quaker faith, it was hard for me to accept the rituals and doctrines of other faiths.  So I stopped attending church all together, but still considered myself a Christian.  

My path towards atheism was not straight nor narrow.  I guess you can say as I was growing as a person, emotion-wise and education-wise, my religious faith was shrinking until it finally disappeared.

That there is no god or supernatural force driving us or the Universe is what makes most sense to me.  So, I call myself an atheist (with a small "a") and follow the Golden Rule.

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I was raised Mormon, but when I turned 18 basically, I left the church.  I not a religious person, what I believe comes from within me.  :)  Over my lifetime, whenever I met someone that was religious, they always just tried to get me into their church.  Not to be friends, but to convert to their religion.  I just don't feel comfortable around people that are religious.  I'm sure they're are a lot of people that are sincerely nice people.  I just don't trust them nor do I feel comfortable being around them. 

shannonnigans
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Don't believe in God, but I can't say I am conscious of that most if the time. If you don't believe in something, you tend to not give it much thought.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I really think a lot about religion and belief.  I was raised a Lutheran (of the ELCA brand) and I still believe that it fits me the best, but I seem to strain against the constriction of a pre-formatted religion.  I am a seeker, I guess.  I consider religion very personal and subjective, and complicated.

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 3:32 PM
I was raised Lutheran, always had questions that adults had a hard time answering or they would answer with something about God knowin what he is doing. The older I get the more questions and less answers I get, so I have slowly becoming more and more sceptic about the presence of one all knowing God. I guess it's concious because I think about this a lot, and know why I'm a sceptic, if that makes any sense. I didn't just wake up one day without a religion.
lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I wasn't raised with religion in my household. I knew my one aunt was a nun and enjoyed visiting her convent. It was always great fun to play the piano in the sitting room, raid the candy jars in the cabinet, and run around the school yard.

I became Catholic back in 1998 or 1999.

Around 2005, I stopped going to church completely.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured