Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The Countries Where They Kill You for Being an Atheist

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:33 PM
  • 59 Replies

December 11, 2012 By

In response to yesterday’s publication of a “Global Report on Discrimination Against Humanists, Atheists and the Non-religious,” the Washington Post‘s Max Fisher posted this map highlighting the seven countries in which you can be executed for being an atheist (Afghanistan, Iran, Maldives, Mauritania, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sudan). Also on the map are countries where atheists can be imprisoned for their beliefs or have certain rights taken away (click to enlarge):

The countries in red are, at least in theory, committed to killing people for blasphemy or “thought crimes.” In all seven countries, Islam is the state religion. Six of the countries are run by a dictator, while Pakistan is (kind of) a democracy.

And in all seven countries, there are undoubtedly a large number of atheists pretending to be religious — or discussing their atheism only in the most discreet of ways — so they can live without fear of being captured and executed.

About Hemant Mehta

Hemant Mehta is the chair of Foundation Beyond Belief and a high school math teacher in the suburbs of Chicago. He began writing the Friendly Atheist blog in 2006. His latest book is called The Young Atheist's Survival Guide.

by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
parentalrights1
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this
So are you implying that atheists aren't really discriminated against or persecuted or are you trying to demonize Muslims?

Serious question
12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Quoting parentalrights1:

So are you implying that atheists aren't really discriminated against or persecuted or are you trying to demonize Muslims?

Serious question

The Article is from the Friendly Atheist, so do you think he is trying to demonize Muslims? 

buttersworth
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:15 PM

oh well join the club.  it's the club of 'isms'.

really all the governments want you to bow down to them; above the little governments is the UN that wants you to bow down to it; behind that, the world bankers, who have behind them, satan.

so of course atheists are undesirables to them also. the devil wants you to worship him, and you can't if you don't believe he exists.

by the way, I'm a Christian.

Della529
by Matlock on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting parentalrights1:

Serious question

The Article is from the Friendly Atheist, so do you think he is trying to demonize Muslims? 

Doesn't explain why you would use it.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:20 PM

peeking 

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this

10 to 1 she's making a point about how it's only Islamic countries that will execute atheists...

Quoting Della529:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting parentalrights1:

Serious question

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Quoting Della529:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting parentalrights1:

Serious question

LOL the other thread on the Christian challenge is from the same Atheist.  So why do you seem to have a problem with this post?  I have seen The Friendly Atheist used in many posts on this site with no problem.  What is different about this one that people should object or discount it? 

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I'm not making a point the article is from frequently sited Friendly Atheist 

Quoting jessilin0113:

10 to 1 she's making a point about how it's only Islamic countries that will execute atheists...

Quoting Della529:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting parentalrights1:

Serious question

Generica
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Interesting, I had no idea.

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:28 PM
3 moms liked this

I know who he is.  I get the distinct impression that you are using an atheist (which you don't care for) to make a point about Muslims (which you don't care for).

I'll apologize in advance for that being a shitty thing to say.  

Quoting 12hellokitty:

I'm not making a point the article is from frequently sited Friendly Atheist 

Quoting jessilin0113:

Quoting Della529:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting parentalrights1:

Serious question

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)