Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Clarification for Non-Christians

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:56 AM
  • 64 Replies
2 moms liked this

Religion gets debated frequently on here, but sometimes it seems despite our different beliefs, there is also some misunderstanding. Just to clarify....

One definition of the word "religion" from the Merriam-Webster Dictrionary is "way of life"

"Christians" means Christ follower

Christianity is a broad group made up of many different large denominations

Roman Catholics, Russian and Greek Orthodox, Episcopalians, Methodists, Congregationalists, Lutherans, Baptists, Presbyterians are some of the major Christian denominations.

These all attempt to follow Christ and profess belief in HIm, but have theological differences.

the word Catholic can and often is interchangeable with the word Christian. However, Roman Catholic is a particular denomination.

the pope is the head of the Roman Catholic church. He is not the head of the others. the other christian denominations have their own hierarchical structure. for example, Lutherans have a bishop as the head of their church and he is independent from anything having to do with the Roman Catholic church.

the word 'church' can be used several ways. it can define the church body, or, congregation. it can also be used to identify an institution; or, both the congregation and it's organization.  Roman catholics frequently refer to "The Church" as meaning their church, not any other denomination.

The Bible is a compilation of books, written by many authors, from different places, over a long period of time. It has two sections; the Old Testament which predates and prophesizes Christ, and the New Testament, which is about Christ and written after His birth.

The original Christian church was the Roman Catholic church founded by Paul, an ex-tax collector. who had a conversion experience and thereafter professed to believe in Christ.  The Roman Catholic church split into Roman Catholic and Russian and Greek Orthodoxes. In the 1500s a Roman Catholic monk named Martin Luther wanted to reform the church, but for his efforts was excommunicated. He had supporters who followed his teachings and inadvertently, unintentionally created the Lutheran church.

The Lutheran church is a reform church because it set out to reform, not make a new church.

All other Christian denominations are Protestant churches. These churches protested the rule of the Pope and started new Christian churches, thus being called Protestants.

Some Christians believe that the bread and wine of communion are literally transformed into Christ's body and blood, respectively, upon consumption. Others believe the bread and wine are meant to be body and blood, metaphorically.  All in all, partaking communion is generally considered by all Christians to be an act of forgiving participants of their sins.

Jesus gave us the Lord's prayer. It's in the Bible. No church made that up.

Churches have their own doctrines, mission statements, prayers and edicts that can be man-made and/or inspired by Biblical teachings.

"Transgressions' means sins.

A sin is something that separates one from God.

Christians' main resource for authority is the Bible. Some Christians take the Bible literally, some do not, and some see it as a combination depending on what they're reading.

Not all Christians think homosexuality is a sin, although many do.

Roman Catholics call their local ministers "preists". The reformers and protestants use 'reverend', 'pastor', or 'minister'.

Roman Catholics call their worship service a "mass'. Reformers and protestants call it a "service'.

Sacraments in all Christian churches generally include baptism, first communion, and confirmation if they have a confirmation. A confirmation is when a teenager (usual age) confirms the belief of their own baptism from when they were an infant. Baptists I believe, do not baptise infants therefore they probably don't have a confirmation; they baptise adults but i don't know the age.

All the major Christian churches believe that Mary conceived Jesus by the power of the Holy Spirit while she was a virgin.

All the major Christian churches accept that Christ was crucified under the Roman emperor, Pontius Pilot, in order that our sins would be forgiven.

All Christian churches hold regular worship services on Sundays, usually mid-morning. Some churches, most notably the Roman Catholic church, also hold services (mass) on early Saturday evenings. Reformers and protestants generally have a Sunday School on Sunday morning, with the exception of the Roman Catholics who have 'CCD" which is religious instruction usually on a school night, after school.

One consistent iconography for all Christians is, of course, the Cross.

please let me know if i've made any mistakes in my information.

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not christian, none of this is news to me.

buttersworth
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Yeah it's pretty simple stuff and i don't want to offend people who know it. Despite that it seems very basic, having debates with others made me think that maybe some people don't really know any of this. Some people appear not to.

Quoting autodidact:

I'm not christian, none of this is news to me.

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:10 AM
8 moms liked this

What clarification are you giving here, exactly? Most non-Christians I know (myself included) know ALL of this. Many of us were Christians at one point in our lives. 

buttersworth
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:11 AM

ok so you know it. the way a lot of people talk on here, i think they haven't a clue. maybe i'm wrong. i give it two more responses like your's and i'll delete the post.

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

What clarification are you giving here, exactly? Most non-Christians I know (myself included) know ALL of this. Many of us were Christians at one point in our lives. 

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:12 AM
5 moms liked this

also, I've heard much more of the quibbling over whether mormons or catholics are christian coming from christians than non. 

AlekD
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:15 AM
2 moms liked this
The only thing I have to add is that Catholics actually have Mass every day, but only Sunday Mass is obligatory. Also, the Saturday evening (vigil) Mass counts as Sunday Mass (it has the same readings and everything as the sunday morning Mass) because it goes off the old Jewish custom of the days beginning at sundown. I also would have made a distinction between liturgical and non-liturgical denominations.
CocolateLady
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Agree. 

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Yep. JWs too. 

Quoting autodidact:

also, I've heard much more of the quibbling over whether mormons or catholics are christian coming from christians than non. 

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:24 AM
3 moms liked this
Quoting buttersworth:

The original Christian church was the Roman Catholic church founded by Paul, an ex-tax collector. who had a conversion experience and thereafter professed to believe in Christ.

please let me know if i've made any mistakes in my information.

Paul may have visited many of the early churches:

but he didn't found them, and the church based in Rome has no claim to be more original than the churches founded by other apostles, such as the churches in Jerusalem, Antioch and Alexandria.   There are, for instance, still coptic Christians in Egypt that trace their church history back to the founding of their church in 42 ad by Saint Mark the Evangelist (mentioned as John Mark in the Bible).

RhiannonMare
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:27 AM

I'm not a Christian and I already knew all of this. What exactly is your point with this post?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)