Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

At what point would you (did you) get food stamps (gov't help)

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:20 AM
  • 99 Replies

Poll

Question: At what point would you sign up for help? (food stamps)

Options:

As soon as I meet the requirements

After I've saved, couponed, cooked from scratch and still couldn't feed my family

If I've tried, and even went to food banks and still wasn't able to feed my family

we'd be eating bread and butter before we'd ask for help

other

never

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 105

View Results

A thought popped in my mind last night after thinking about Obamacare etc.  At what point would you sign up for gov't assistance for things like food/daycare/ health care?  Would you sign up the first minutes you are eligible in regards to income, or would you only do it if you truely needed help?

We've never been on assistance, I was brought up in a time where it was a shameful thing. we've never needed to be on assistance.  There have been times where money was tight, but we tightened our belts then. 

CafeMom Tickers

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:23 AM
2 moms liked this

I'd wait until I really felt I needed the help, and I'd stop as soon as I felt I didn't. I've never understood the attitude of if something is there, grab it whether you need it or not.

kaylasmom22
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:23 AM
I did when I really need it.
Susan0805
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:26 AM
4 moms liked this
I would not sign up unless I was desperate and had no other way to feed my kids. If I was unable to get a second job, ran out of things to sell etc. it's not suppose to be a crutch it's suppose to be a lifeline for those who desperately need it, in my opinion.
JCB911
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:30 AM

And what about free school lunch for your kids?  would you accept that? 

I read an article years ago about the number of families on the free lunch program at school and no wonder when the income requirements were low (as in you're family could make 40K and you'd still quailfy)

I remember a radio talk show host discussed it and had a caller who had 5 kids, made less that what was required and mentioned they had no problem feeding their kids and packing lunches for them.  They didn't need free when they could provide it themselves.  And if a family with 5 kids making, not much, could do it then why is 40k the line - it should be lower. and by having it so high it's just helping parents to be unresponsible. 

CafeMom Tickers

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this
This. My mom was on food stamps and had us on medical assistance when I was a kid. She had no car and there were no buses where we lived, so she couldn't work. Every once I awhile a friend of hers would sign us up to receive toys from a church charity, and my grandma helped as much as she could. Finally one day my mom had enough saved to get her license and a car, and she promptly got a job and a pell grant to go back to school. When she got a job we lost all our medical assistance and she took us off food stamps. She hated being on assistance. Because we still didn't make much money(even after she got a business degree), I was not able to go to see a dentist or go to a doctor unless it was important... But we had food to eat and a roof over our head.

Quoting kaylasmom22:

kaylasmom22
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:51 AM
My dd gets free lunch but I'm unemployed and dh doesn't make enough. We live in nyc where everything (even a cup of coffee its expensive) when I was working I was making $1400 a month and that was too much for fs. They have the whole poverty guidelines screw up.

Quoting JCB911:

And what about free school lunch for your kids?  would you accept that? 

I read an article years ago about the number of families on the free lunch program at school and no wonder when the income requirements were low (as in you're family could make 40K and you'd still quailfy)

I remember a radio talk show host discussed it and had a caller who had 5 kids, made less that what was required and mentioned they had no problem feeding their kids and packing lunches for them.  They didn't need free when they could provide it themselves.  And if a family with 5 kids making, not much, could do it then why is 40k the line - it should be lower. and by having it so high it's just helping parents to be unresponsible. 

kaylasmom22
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:56 AM
That's how I feel at times,I hate being on it but my daughter needs come first. But now a days unless you live in a small town,make over $50k and have your own house. It's hard especially if you live in a big city

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

This. My mom was on food stamps and had us on medical assistance when I was a kid. She had no car and there were no buses where we lived, so she couldn't work. Every once I awhile a friend of hers would sign us up to receive toys from a church charity, and my grandma helped as much as she could. Finally one day my mom had enough saved to get her license and a car, and she promptly got a job and a pell grant to go back to school. When she got a job we lost all our medical assistance and she took us off food stamps. She hated being on assistance. Because we still didn't make much money(even after she got a business degree), I was not able to go to see a dentist or go to a doctor unless it was important... But we had food to eat and a roof over our head.

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Fairywings1223
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:57 AM
At my kids school all kids get free lunch no matter the income. I'm not sure if any other counties in GA have it
The_Doodle
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:01 AM

If we really needed it, we applied. 

btamilee
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:03 AM
2 moms liked this

If my children were suffering, and there were no viable options...then I would possibly apply.  I was raised by amazing role models, my dad taught me that you do whatever is necessary to provide and take care of your own.  He worked as an iron worker, and I remember one winter, he was between jobs, and he walked five miles (in the cold Maine winter) everyday to a local farm, and shoveled shit to make sure that there was money to put food on the table. If I remember correctly...that was the same winter that he got my Mom a pound of real butter as her Christmas present, and she was thrilled with it!   He made many difficult sacrifices to provide for us.  But...at no time did he apply for welfare. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN