Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

At what point would you (did you) get food stamps (gov't help)

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: At what point would you sign up for help? (food stamps)

Options:

As soon as I meet the requirements

After I've saved, couponed, cooked from scratch and still couldn't feed my family

If I've tried, and even went to food banks and still wasn't able to feed my family

we'd be eating bread and butter before we'd ask for help

other

never

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 105

View Results

A thought popped in my mind last night after thinking about Obamacare etc.  At what point would you sign up for gov't assistance for things like food/daycare/ health care?  Would you sign up the first minutes you are eligible in regards to income, or would you only do it if you truely needed help?

We've never been on assistance, I was brought up in a time where it was a shameful thing. we've never needed to be on assistance.  There have been times where money was tight, but we tightened our belts then. 

CafeMom Tickers

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Replies (91-99):
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:58 PM
I am entering a very competitive PhD program. They take 10 students out of 70 plus applicants and I am doing it full-time. Same thing for my masters I am just completing. It can be done.

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Because school takes up literally all of his time.  We barely see him b/c he's studying so much.  He's in a very elite program in the medical field and has to be full-time.  It's alot of work.  There's no way he'd be passing if he even had a part-time job. 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

This is not meant to be snarky.. Why isn't your husband working while in school?

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

I'm considering applying soon actually.  I don't want to, but hubby's in grad school and not working, and we've already taken out too much $$ in student loans.  We don't want to max out on loans in the next 2 years or when he graduates we'll owe so much we won't really be in a better financial situation than we are now.  My salary is enough to scrape by on if we feed ourselves crap, but a healthy diet is far too important for me and I'm willing to put my pride aside and ask for assistance in order to keep my family healthy.  I'm trying a few things first though, compromising on less organic products, making more things myself (bread, granola, lunchmeat, household cleaners, etc), coupons.  If we still can't seem to do it, I'll apply for food stamps, although honestly I'm not sure we'll qualify. 

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:13 PM
But my child wouldn't starve. I have friends and family that would help me. The question wasn't about people in general, it was at what point would you, (me), accept food stamps. *I* wouldn't personally have to.

Quoting Sisteract:

You would rather your child starve?

Pride over a hungry child?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I would never be on public assistance. Ever. I'd be too ashamed of myself. But, that's just me. 

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:19 PM

As a side question, would you be surprised to hear that others would have to in order to feed their child(ren)? Do you think less of folks who do not have the social/safety net that you do?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

But my child wouldn't starve. I have friends and family that would help me. The question wasn't about people in general, it was at what point would you, (me), accept food stamps. *I* wouldn't personally have to.

Quoting Sisteract:

You would rather your child starve?

Pride over a hungry child?

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I would never be on public assistance. Ever. I'd be too ashamed of myself. But, that's just me. 

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Good for you.  I realize it can be done by the right kind of self-driven, overachieving type of person.  My husband is not that person.  This is very hard for him and he's kinda lucky to be there in the first place.  He's incredibly smart, it's just hard for him.  He's not lazy, though.  He'd accept the challenge of working and going to school if he honestly thought he could keep his grades up.  We really can't risk him failing out.  He needs 100% of his free time divided between family and school (and trust me, family gets a very small percentage of that!) for another year or so and we'll never need assistance again.  In fact I'm sure we'll repay our debt in no time since we'll actually be making enough money to owe in taxes.  This is what's best for us right now. 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

I am entering a very competitive PhD program. They take 10 students out of 70 plus applicants and I am doing it full-time. Same thing for my masters I am just completing. It can be done.

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Because school takes up literally all of his time.  We barely see him b/c he's studying so much.  He's in a very elite program in the medical field and has to be full-time.  It's alot of work.  There's no way he'd be passing if he even had a part-time job. 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

This is not meant to be snarky.. Why isn't your husband working while in school?

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

I'm considering applying soon actually.  I don't want to, but hubby's in grad school and not working, and we've already taken out too much $$ in student loans.  We don't want to max out on loans in the next 2 years or when he graduates we'll owe so much we won't really be in a better financial situation than we are now.  My salary is enough to scrape by on if we feed ourselves crap, but a healthy diet is far too important for me and I'm willing to put my pride aside and ask for assistance in order to keep my family healthy.  I'm trying a few things first though, compromising on less organic products, making more things myself (bread, granola, lunchmeat, household cleaners, etc), coupons.  If we still can't seem to do it, I'll apply for food stamps, although honestly I'm not sure we'll qualify. 

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:24 PM
I get that. What is he going for?

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Good for you.  I realize it can be done by the right kind of self-driven, overachieving type of person.  My husband is not that person.  This is very hard for him and he's kinda lucky to be there in the first place.  He's incredibly smart, it's just hard for him.  He's not lazy, though.  He'd accept the challenge of working and going to school if he honestly thought he could keep his grades up.  We really can't risk him failing out.  He needs 100% of his free time divided between family and school (and trust me, family gets a very small percentage of that!) for another year or so and we'll never need assistance again.  In fact I'm sure we'll repay our debt in no time since we'll actually be making enough money to owe in taxes.  This is what's best for us right now. 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Occupational Therapy.  And his undergrad wasn't in anything even remotely related to the medical field (not even science-related!), so he's been playing a little catch-up. 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Great field- tried to get my kids interested, without success :(

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Occupational Therapy.  And his undergrad wasn't in anything even remotely related to the medical field (not even science-related!), so he's been playing a little catch-up. 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:27 PM

It is a great field, and my husband's going to be REALLY good at it.  He had a friend start the program a couple of years before him and the more the friend talked about it, the more hubby realized he was perfect for it.  He just has to muscle through all this scholarly BS first.  It's not exactly his style lol...

Quoting Sisteract:

Great field- tried to get my kids interested, without success :(

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

flika
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 4:45 PM
When my ex husband left me homeless with my children, I had no choice but to ask for assistance.

I was a SAHM for 17 years and only had my AA. I'm working on my BA. I found a job after 2 years but it doesn't pay enough. I can't afford daycare and I can't find government help for it as it says in the question here. My youngest 2 have medicaid and food. They don't give money for good for my oldest son or me.
I'm looking for a 2nd job with no luck. What I make doesn't even cover my rent.

My ex didn't pay cs and it's in courts and in CSA.

We live in a large city where everything is too expensive. My dd helps me with my little one while I work and go to school bc I can't pay daycare. It's ridiculously expensive!

I don't have family and a few friends from work that give me a hand from time to time but it gets embarrassing when they help too much and I don't have a way to pay them back.

I don't have a cell phone, TV, we don't eat out or go to movies. I have to save every penny I have for rent bills gas.

So, I had to ask for help right away and I have never before been in a situation like this. It's difficult and tough on everyone.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN