Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

At what point would you (did you) get food stamps (gov't help)

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: At what point would you sign up for help? (food stamps)

Options:

As soon as I meet the requirements

After I've saved, couponed, cooked from scratch and still couldn't feed my family

If I've tried, and even went to food banks and still wasn't able to feed my family

we'd be eating bread and butter before we'd ask for help

other

never

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 105

View Results

A thought popped in my mind last night after thinking about Obamacare etc.  At what point would you sign up for gov't assistance for things like food/daycare/ health care?  Would you sign up the first minutes you are eligible in regards to income, or would you only do it if you truely needed help?

We've never been on assistance, I was brought up in a time where it was a shameful thing. we've never needed to be on assistance.  There have been times where money was tight, but we tightened our belts then. 

CafeMom Tickers

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Replies (11-20):
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this
I would have to exhaust every means possible.
I do not apply for grants at my dd's grade school either. We can afford it and I won't take it.
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:05 AM

If we were going hungry, we would use it.  Seems pretty obvious.

All the kids at my school get free breakfast and my daughter takes a muffin or fruit every day.

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I'm considering applying soon actually.  I don't want to, but hubby's in grad school and not working, and we've already taken out too much $$ in student loans.  We don't want to max out on loans in the next 2 years or when he graduates we'll owe so much we won't really be in a better financial situation than we are now.  My salary is enough to scrape by on if we feed ourselves crap, but a healthy diet is far too important for me and I'm willing to put my pride aside and ask for assistance in order to keep my family healthy.  I'm trying a few things first though, compromising on less organic products, making more things myself (bread, granola, lunchmeat, household cleaners, etc), coupons.  If we still can't seem to do it, I'll apply for food stamps, although honestly I'm not sure we'll qualify. 

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I draw a line at free school lunch.  We are not that needy.  I can afford $2.30 every now and then for my kids' lunch, but I mostly pack her lunch anyway because I don't want her eating the crap they serve at school.  We'd have to be REALLY poor for me to accept that. 

Quoting JCB911:

And what about free school lunch for your kids?  would you accept that? 

I read an article years ago about the number of families on the free lunch program at school and no wonder when the income requirements were low (as in you're family could make 40K and you'd still quailfy)

I remember a radio talk show host discussed it and had a caller who had 5 kids, made less that what was required and mentioned they had no problem feeding their kids and packing lunches for them.  They didn't need free when they could provide it themselves.  And if a family with 5 kids making, not much, could do it then why is 40k the line - it should be lower. and by having it so high it's just helping parents to be unresponsible. 

lga1965
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't even know what Food Stamps look like. And, unlike some nosy people, I don't spy on the people in line when I am checking out at the Grocery store .

@@

MrsBridges19
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:10 AM

We didn't ask for help until we literally had NOTHING in our bank accounts and no food in the house.  We hadn't eaten for about a week before we asked.  And what was sad was that we lived RIGHT next to my In-laws.  They knew we had no food.  But no one offered to help us out.  We couldn't even get help from our "family" to feed ourselves.  Not proud of it, but we needed the help.

romanceparty4u
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I have never in my life met the requirements for any type of assistance. That said, unless you have MILLIONS in the bank when you go into a nursing home, depending on how long you live there, you will probably wind up on the state medicaid program. When all your assets are sold off and your millions are depleted, that's what they do to get compensated for the care you receive.

MOST payment plans of long term care residents are public aid

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:24 AM
2 moms liked this

There was a 4 month period where I received FS and my two children received medical care.  This was a good 18 years ago.

I had been laid off from my job, going through a divorce with a 3 year old and a baby.  I looked for work, daily.   It came to the point where I needed a bit of assistance for myself and my children.  I had worked for over 10 years by that point.  I was no where near a dead beat looking for a hand out.

During this time, I applied for and wanted to work  with the agency to seek employment, even additional training.  What ever I could do.  I was met with.....'you do not qualify for any of our programs, at this time, due to having a child under the age of 2'.  Once she hit that magical age of 2 I would have then been able to utilize many of the so called resources available to those who sought PA.  Until then, stay home with your child, where you belong.  That double standard was irritating, at best.  You are scum for seeking assistance yet we are not able to help you help yourself because we feel you need to be home wtih your child.  

I had no shame in realizing I needed a bit of help for my children.  It was every one else who judged and assumed and made fools of themselves.  

This was when you had the paper FS.  Every time I would go to the store there was some one there with a comment or a look.  If I did not have the girls with me I was asked why I would need FS without children.  If the girls where with me, it was 'those poor kids, mom can't support them'. 

If it came to it, all other resources where relinquished, I would seek temporary aid again.  Screw what others think.  This is my life.....one in which I will do what is necessary.

That shame thing is ridiculous and out of hand.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:28 AM

When my father was a missionary in a jail ministry, his salary was set and paid by the ministry and a couple of local, very upscale churches.  It was too low to feed a family of five on, so we wore mostly donated clothes,  ate donated bread, and drove a donated car.  

My parents signed us up for the reduced price school lunch program for a couple of years.  I used the tickets three times and felt so humiliated that I stopped.  I didn't eat lunch, except for when I could afford it (was working music jobs at the time), and then I paid full price.  

My father worked hard full-time at the ministry, which included a halfway house, probably 70+ hours a week.  My mom worked at it part time.  My sibs and I worked at it on the weekends, grading Bible study tests, stuffing envelopes, etc.  I think it would be fair to call us working poor at that point.      

So my family at one time was on a minor form of public assistance, and I used it in a small way.  As an adult I have never been on any form of PA, although I did borrow and pay back in full federal loans for some of my college costs.  

Lizardannie1966
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

You do what you have to and you do so because you need the help and your pride doesn't matter nearly as much as your ability to feed your family.

At least that's the way it should be yet there are the stereotypes of the "typical people" that so many in society seem to feel the average FS recipient is.

It doesn't help when there are so many who DO receive FS and epitomize that stereotype.

Hard to maintain your dignity when there are so many who look down their noses at everyone who is receiving public assistance without really considering the individual stories of how some came to find themselves on PA to begin with.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)