Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

At what point would you (did you) get food stamps (gov't help)

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: At what point would you sign up for help? (food stamps)

Options:

As soon as I meet the requirements

After I've saved, couponed, cooked from scratch and still couldn't feed my family

If I've tried, and even went to food banks and still wasn't able to feed my family

we'd be eating bread and butter before we'd ask for help

other

never

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 105

View Results

A thought popped in my mind last night after thinking about Obamacare etc.  At what point would you sign up for gov't assistance for things like food/daycare/ health care?  Would you sign up the first minutes you are eligible in regards to income, or would you only do it if you truely needed help?

We've never been on assistance, I was brought up in a time where it was a shameful thing. we've never needed to be on assistance.  There have been times where money was tight, but we tightened our belts then. 

CafeMom Tickers

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Replies (21-30):
blues_pagan
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:32 AM

We waited until the absolute last minute to apply for any type of assistance.  It finally hit me when I was looking at our budget and realized that I only had $25 left over and that needed to go for gas and groceries.  Not only that but winter was also fast approaching and we had no propane in our tank.

Thankfully now we can get off of PA but I have to say that I am thankful for it.  The foodstamps, WIC and heat assistance was such a relief.  We were only on it for a total of about 6 months.

Generica
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I was on welfare for about a year or so when my son was born...there have been times since where I think I would have met the requirements but didn't take advantage of it.

I would do it if I needed to now though. There are some awesome food reclamation programs out here which help us and I have been trying to cook from scratch more lately.

Pinto beans are cheap friggin protein and my kids love them.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:34 AM
2 moms liked this

My Mom raised 3 of us after my dad left.  She did it without ever having a job until he left..and she did it without child support.  This was in the 70's when inflation was high and the economy was just as crappy as it is now.

I cannot imagine any circumstances in which I would ever apply for assistance.  The taxpayer is not responsible for my family, I am.

fatcat0908
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:35 AM
If I was sacrificing paying my basic utilities to purchase food for my children and I qualified I'd apply. I'd rather swallow my pride in order to feed and shelter my children rather than have them in the dark with no electricity eating nutritionally void foods like Raman Noodles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Generica
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Quoting fatcat0908:

If I was sacrificing paying my basic utilities to purchase food for my children and I qualified I'd apply. I'd rather swallow my pride in order to feed and shelter my children rather than have them in the dark with no electricity eating nutritionally void foods like Raman Noodles.

Yeah ramen noodles are bad. I have to say we have fallen back on them here and there...

fatcat0908
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:39 AM
We lived off them in college and when DH was in grad school but I only feed them to my children when they are sick. Oddly there is something comforting and soothing about all that sodium when your sick with a cold or the flu...lol

Quoting Generica:

Quoting fatcat0908:

Yeah ramen noodles are bad. I have to say we have fallen back on them here and there...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Generica
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Quoting fatcat0908:

We lived off them in college and when DH was in grad school but I only feed them to my children when they are sick. Oddly there is something comforting and soothing about all that sodium when your sick with a cold or the flu...lol

Quoting Generica:

Quoting fatcat0908:

HA! I totally know what you mean! Isn't that weird? I got into making homemade chicken noodle soup when we get sick, it does the trick, but they still like the ramen haha

ElitestJen
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't.  I would sell my soul to feed my children, but I will not beg.  I'm confident in my ability to problem solve and creatively think without ever needing to expect others to finance my choices.

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I never thought I'd need food stamps. Ever. I was a stay at home mom and my DH made great money. He survived many lay offs in his company.... until he didn't. We had two homes, two kids, good savings, and no income. 

We immediately put our large house up for short sale (we bought it for $360,000 and it sold for $175,000) and moved into the smaller, in need of much repair, house. I completely stopped buying anything new. I shopped for clothes on the 50% off thrift store days. I started cleaning with vinegar and water. I did EVERYTHING within my power to stretch our savings. I also got a part time job while my husband (thankfully) got a new full time job. 

Unfortunately, my DH is in real estate. He was selling new homes and his new job was in resale. Which means he had to build clientele and wouldn't get a paycheck for months after he did get his first client. After having no income for 2 months, we then spent 6 months living off my part time teaching salary. ($600ish a month) Our house payment alone was $ 1,000 a month. 

As I saw our savings get eaten up, I bit the bullet and went on gov't assistance. I think it saved our lives. With the gov't assistance our savings stretched to keep us afloat. It also provided us with healthcare while I was going through a medical crisis. (lump in breast, symptoms of many bad illnesses)

Until someone goes through financial crisis they just can't imagine the stress, fear, and hardship that it is. It also makes a parent go through guilt like you can't believe. I couldn't afford to get birthday presents for my kid's friends. When invited to do fun things I denied my children. My kids were wearing clothes that sometimes made me cringe. I was eating off of someone else's money. It is painful being unable to provide for your family.

If people qualify, then they need it. Period. The month came when we made $60 too much for assistance. Those were bleak days. It has now been 4 yrs since my DH lost his job. We are both working full time now and we still don't have the money for health insurance and regular cleaning supplies, we line dry after our dryer broke, we still shop at 50% off thrift store days. We are living from one financial crisis to another (need a new roof, need new tires, need to pay out of pocket for child illness....). I'm hopeful we will someday recover from the lost job, but I don't know when. Once you reach broke things get ignored which eventually catch up to you and you pay several times over for ignoring it. Like roof repair.

I

Generica
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting desertlvn:

I never thought I'd need food stamps. Ever. I was a stay at home mom and my DH made great money. He survived many lay offs in his company.... until he didn't. We had two homes, two kids, good savings, and no income. 

We immediately put our large house up for short sale (we bought it for $360,000 and it sold for $175,000) and moved into the smaller, in need of much repair, house. I completely stopped buying anything new. I shopped for clothes on the 50% off thrift store days. I started cleaning with vinegar and water. I did EVERYTHING within my power to stretch our savings. I also got a part time job while my husband (thankfully) got a new full time job. 

Unfortunately, my DH is in real estate. He was selling new homes and his new job was in resale. Which means he had to build clientele and wouldn't get a paycheck for months after he did get his first client. After having no income for 2 months, we then spent 6 months living off my part time teaching salary. ($600ish a month) Our house payment alone was $ 1,000 a month. 

As I saw our savings get eaten up, I bit the bullet and went on gov't assistance. I think it saved our lives. With the gov't assistance our savings stretched to keep us afloat. It also provided us with healthcare while I was going through a medical crisis. (lump in breast, symptoms of many bad illnesses)

Until someone goes through financial crisis they just can't imagine the stress, fear, and hardship that it is. It also makes a parent go through guilt like you can't believe. I couldn't afford to get birthday presents for my kid's friends. When invited to do fun things I denied my children. My kids were wearing clothes that sometimes made me cringe. I was eating off of someone else's money. It is painful being unable to provide for your family.

If people qualify, then they need it. Period. The month came when we made $60 too much for assistance. Those were bleak days. It has now been 4 yrs since my DH lost his job. We are both working full time now and we still don't have the money for health insurance and regular cleaning supplies, we line dry after our dryer broke, we still shop at 50% off thrift store days. We are living from one financial crisis to another (need a new roof, need new tires, need to pay out of pocket for child illness....). I'm hopeful we will someday recover from the lost job, but I don't know when. Once you reach broke things get ignored which eventually catch up to you and you pay several times over for ignoring it. Like roof repair.

I

I've been there. I live in the desert and my ac died in the summer. I had no savings to replace or fix it. This is where my finances snowballed and I ended up foreclosing on my house and now I am in bankruptcy.

Your story sounds similar to mine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)