Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

At what point would you (did you) get food stamps (gov't help)

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: At what point would you sign up for help? (food stamps)

Options:

As soon as I meet the requirements

After I've saved, couponed, cooked from scratch and still couldn't feed my family

If I've tried, and even went to food banks and still wasn't able to feed my family

we'd be eating bread and butter before we'd ask for help

other

never

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 105

View Results

A thought popped in my mind last night after thinking about Obamacare etc.  At what point would you sign up for gov't assistance for things like food/daycare/ health care?  Would you sign up the first minutes you are eligible in regards to income, or would you only do it if you truely needed help?

We've never been on assistance, I was brought up in a time where it was a shameful thing. we've never needed to be on assistance.  There have been times where money was tight, but we tightened our belts then. 

CafeMom Tickers

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Replies (31-40):
Elyssa414
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:58 AM
2 moms liked this
We were on food stamps for a little more than 6 months when my husband was in college, and I was having to miss a LOT of work leading up to, and during my son's first two brain surgeries. We were just drowning in life and medical bills and trying so hard to keep my DH in college so that there could be a brighter future in store- and it helped, and got us through, and I don't feel bad about using the help that we needed to become independent and successful in life!
I'm now a SAHM, and my husband is a senior architect at a web design firm.
PestPatti
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:21 PM

If and when that happens I will let you know. 

adrianasmommy07
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:41 PM
We applied for fs. When I was injured and no longer able to work. My dhs income at that time was not able to cover just the basic bills, let alone food. We moved into cheaper housing asap, and dh found a new job. We were off asap.
littlelamb303
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I would seriously consider getting rid of my private insurance plan(we pay 1000 a month in premiums) however, our income is way over for qualify for any affordable rate. (AHC, I wish we could go on the public plan instead of private, AETNA is ripping us off and the service is poor)

I was also brought up at a time where you NEVER got welfare as it was shameful.  My grandparents were poor, and I know they did not get welfare. Early on in my parents marriage(this was the early 60s) the struggled, but did it on their own.  I am not against PA for people who have truly fell on bad times.Some women have needed it to get out of abusive relationships, etc...  It is hard to find a decent paying job today, even with an education.  Of course, the abusers are going to ruin it for everyone and IMO there is a lot more abuse going on today.

As far as my family receiving? We never have and it would definitely be our last resort, when all other options have failed. 

littlelamb303
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Quoting JCB911:

And what about free school lunch for your kids?  would you accept that? 

I read an article years ago about the number of families on the free lunch program at school and no wonder when the income requirements were low (as in you're family could make 40K and you'd still quailfy)

I remember a radio talk show host discussed it and had a caller who had 5 kids, made less that what was required and mentioned they had no problem feeding their kids and packing lunches for them.  They didn't need free when they could provide it themselves.  And if a family with 5 kids making, not much, could do it then why is 40k the line - it should be lower. and by having it so high it's just helping parents to be unresponsible. 

Where I live (long island) 40k is low income.  The worst places to live here(ghetto, etc. have a median income of 50k). It depends on where you live.   A lower six figure income here is middle class, not living it up.

littlelamb303
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

I draw a line at free school lunch.  We are not that needy.  I can afford $2.30 every now and then for my kids' lunch, but I mostly pack her lunch anyway because I don't want her eating the crap they serve at school.  We'd have to be REALLY poor for me to accept that. 

Quoting JCB911:

And what about free school lunch for your kids?  would you accept that? 

I read an article years ago about the number of families on the free lunch program at school and no wonder when the income requirements were low (as in you're family could make 40K and you'd still quailfy)

I remember a radio talk show host discussed it and had a caller who had 5 kids, made less that what was required and mentioned they had no problem feeding their kids and packing lunches for them.  They didn't need free when they could provide it themselves.  And if a family with 5 kids making, not much, could do it then why is 40k the line - it should be lower. and by having it so high it's just helping parents to be unresponsible. 

here in NY, lunches are healthy.  Mostly fruits and vegetables on the plate.  All whole grains, no junk food.  In the HS where my dd goes, no soda vending machines or machines that sell junk.

randi1978
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:09 PM
2 moms liked this

First time I needed it was 6 yrs ago.

I had just left my husband, had a 3 yr old in tow and was pregnant with a 2nd.  We left with nothing but the clothing on our backs, a suitcase of clothes and a box of toys I had shipped via UPS.

I had no job, no income, no anything.  My parents were struggling considerably as well, but had opened their home to us.  I applied for benefits within a week of my return.

I used the programs available on and off up until a few years back.  No cash assistance since that first month of my return and haven't been on FS for almost 3 yrs now.  Utilized daycare assistance until I lost my job back in 2011.  I just cancelled Monster's medicaid and had her placed on my insurance last month.  I got a nice state job and I love it so far (3 months in now).  We still classify as poor, but we have enough to be comfortable and not need help and that is what matters.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:22 PM

If it ever came to it, number 3

grandmab125
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:09 PM

They aren't really "stamps" any more.  Every one gets a debit card.  So you can't tell if they are using gov't money, or taking it out of their checking accounts when they swipe the card through the machine.

Quoting lga1965:

I don't even know what Food Stamps look like. And, unlike some nosy people, I don't spy on the people in line when I am checking out at the Grocery store .

@@

grandma B

JCB911
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:31 PM

You have a great story, one to be proud of.  Sounds like you've come far in just 3 years!

Quoting randi1978:

First time I needed it was 6 yrs ago.

I had just left my husband, had a 3 yr old in tow and was pregnant with a 2nd.  We left with nothing but the clothing on our backs, a suitcase of clothes and a box of toys I had shipped via UPS.

I had no job, no income, no anything.  My parents were struggling considerably as well, but had opened their home to us.  I applied for benefits within a week of my return.

I used the programs available on and off up until a few years back.  No cash assistance since that first month of my return and haven't been on FS for almost 3 yrs now.  Utilized daycare assistance until I lost my job back in 2011.  I just cancelled Monster's medicaid and had her placed on my insurance last month.  I got a nice state job and I love it so far (3 months in now).  We still classify as poor, but we have enough to be comfortable and not need help and that is what matters.

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN