Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

We need to learn from other countries...this is awesome.

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:28 PM
  • 38 Replies
4 moms liked this

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I think that's awesome.  

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:33 PM
That would be amazing. Around here we have the CSA/farm share programs. That's about as close as we can get. We were too late this year, but next year I really want to be involved and buy a share.
Generica
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

That would be amazing. Around here we have the CSA/farm share programs. That's about as close as we can get. We were too late this year, but next year I really want to be involved and buy a share.

I'm in the city and its Phoenix (desert) too...but wouldnt this just be awesome to promote more community as well?

I have a big peeve about how families and community have broken up over the years.

I do pick up veggies from a reclamation program here and I share with my neighbors or whoever is in need. I totally dig stuff like that.

punky3175
by Punky on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:40 PM
While the idea sounds great, I really have no desire to talk to my neighbors. I'm an introvert and fairly private so talking to neighbors is not at all appealing. Maybe once I own my own ace it'll be different but I doubt it nor would I want to have to depend on them to successfully grow what they said they were going to grow. I'd also feel too pressured to successfully grow for others.

I do love all of the greenery though.
Generica
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Quoting punky3175:

While the idea sounds great, I really have no desire to talk to my neighbors. I'm an introvert and fairly private so talking to neighbors is not at all appealing. Maybe once I own my own ace it'll be different but I doubt it nor would I want to have to depend on them to successfully grow what they said they were going to grow. I'd also feel too pressured to successfully grow for others.

I do love all of the greenery though.

Yeahhh for me it depends on the neighbor I guess. I have a few nazis around here...ugh

Roxygurl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:45 PM
2 moms liked this
If you have time for that, I believe in places like Switzerland they have a ton more time off and don't work as many hours as we do here in the us.

I work 50+ hours a week, I wouldn't have time to tend to a garden.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Generica
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Quoting Roxygurl:

If you have time for that, I believe in places like Switzerland they have a ton more time off and don't work as many hours as we do here in the us.

I work 50+ hours a week, I wouldn't have time to tend to a garden.

I think they also have more social programs too.

MelanieJK
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Gardening is very popular in my neighborhood (suburb) which doesn't look remotely like this US picture.    I don't think we're that unusual.       We do still have to go to the grocery store though...   many humans don't live by veggies alone and don't want to.

Switzerland is much smaller and has less diversity (of geography and population).      A lot of areas of the US have water issues so it might not be feasible to think the entire country can do this.    And agriculture (even organic) can leave a negative footprint.     

Generica
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Quoting MelanieJK:

Gardening is very popular in my neighborhood (suburb) which doesn't look remotely like this US picture.    I don't think we're that unusual.       We do still have to go to the grocery store though...   many humans don't live by veggies alone and don't want to.

Well yeah, add in the chicken keepers and whoever else..

Seems so simple.

KreatingMe
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:54 PM
I would love to see that practice take off here. It's not like participation would be forced. CSA's are a great idea but are pricey. My extended family has a large organic garden that we all share. It's on one relatives property and he does most of the work and shares with everyone. The rule is you have to help on planting day and then you can reap the rewards.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)