Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Who here has genuine farmers markets and farms where you can buy what you want without going through a grocery store.

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Who here has genuine farmers markets and farms where you can buy what you want without going through a grocery store.

Options:

Yes - I can get what I need in my community without totally depending on a grocery store.

No - I shop mostly at grocery stores, there are not many other options

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 79

View Results

Yeah seriously. I live in the city, our farmers markets are half veggies and offers for grassfed whatever but more Arts and Crafts.

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Replies (91-96):
diospira
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Quoting Sisteract:

Where do you live?

Quoting diospira:

I live a block away from the plaza de mercado. Good thing since I do all my shopping on foot. I can buy all sorts of fruits and veggies, farm eggs and even a live chicken if I wanted to. The supermarkets here don't  sell produce; there are special stores for that.

I live in Colombia. We moved here after 14 years in the Sacramento area.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:56 AM
I live in Philly and it just isn't worth the trip. There is one right outside the city but the fruit is disgusting. It spoils in a day. I would have to go at least a half hour or more from my house to get anything fresh and decent.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

There are quite a few here (suburb of Philadelphia).
romalove
by Roma on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:59 AM

I can get some things at farmer's markets and others I must grocery store shop.

I live near Rutgers and they have Farmer's Market on Fridays most of the year.  I also live near two farms that have roadside stands, and near Colts Neck where in the spring/summer/fall I can get all kinds of farm grown produce right off the farms.

I love Whole Foods and Trader Joes for the in betweens.  :-)

AmberRose1122
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:00 AM
That's how ours is. It's frustrating. I have heard the city is considering a fresh city market but it takes a lot to convince the older generation that things like that would thrive in our small city.
samurai_chica
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:14 PM

YAY, someome recognizes me. I posted in the "how long have you been on CM" post, and no ne believed me that i've been on here forever...lol...cause no one knew me.

I started working part time again & I just have not had much time to get on here. I pop in every once in a while. I'll never be gone forever...

Nice to see you, how have you been?

Quoting Sisteract:

Long time no see!

Quoting samurai_chica:

The Dekalb Farmers market (Atlanta) is America's best farmers market.

It's F*CKING AWESOME!!! When i have friends/family visit, i have to bring them there. I think "Screw world of coke...that place sucks....go check out the Dekalb Farmers market!!!" , you will struggle with not spending a fortune though, cause you want to buy everything you see...but, prices for organic produce is so ridiculously cheap...plus, they have everything from local farms...but they also have rare stuff from other countries. It's the best food shopping experience ever...

Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:20 PM

I get the majority of my meats, cheeses, and a fair amount of produce from farms in the area.  But others in my area seem amazed that I have been able to do this. I do have to drive about an hour for most of the stuff, but since i have a large freezer, I only drive for meat four times a year, and stock up, and I have gotten our local higher end grocery store to start carrying the local cheese and veggies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN