Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The 5 Creepiest Smear Campaigns Launched by Powerful Groups

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:38 PM
  • 12 Replies

#5. The Church of Scientology Forged a Bomb Threat to Smear a Journalist

#4. General Motors Laid Out Hooker Traps for Ralph Nader

#3. Thomas Edison Tried to Turn His Competitor's Name into a Synonym for Death

#2. A Tobacco Company Tried to Smear Their Whistleblower With 500 Pages of Bullshit

#1. A Pentagon Propaganda Contractor Tried to Link U.S. Journalists to the Taliban

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_20415_the-5-creepiest-smear-campaigns-launched-by-powerful-groups_p2.html#ixzz2Rngf1sYZ

Explanations at the link.

Just some fun random history for a Sunday afternoon!

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Thomas Edison sounds like a dick!

pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this

The Wigand vs. Big Cig was scary, sad and pathetic.  Oh, and the article was incorrect by saying that Wigand was being "bothered" by smoking enthusiasts.  Those men that was creeping around his house and following him on the streets were from Big Cig.....

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Quoting Momniscient:

laughing

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Apparently he was, at least according to Cracked.  They are pretty good, but sometimes they exaggerate for effect.  

Apparently he screwed over Nikola Tesla by telling him he would give him a bonus for extra work and then when he asked for it, said that it was a joke.  (!!)  Besides the animal killing.

Quoting Momniscient:

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I adore the writing at cracked, but I always take their info with a grain of salt :)

Quoting stacymomof2:

Apparently he was, at least according to Cracked.  They are pretty good, but sometimes they exaggerate for effect.  

Apparently he screwed over Nikola Tesla by telling him he would give him a bonus for extra work and then when he asked for it, said that it was a joke.  (!!)  Besides the animal killing.

Quoting Momniscient:

jllcali
by Jane on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:10 PM
I loled at hooker traps.
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:12 PM

That's the best way to take them.  But I never fail to laugh!

Quoting Momniscient:

I adore the writing at cracked, but I always take their info with a grain of salt :)

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting Momniscient:

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:13 PM

It's my dream job!

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting Momniscient:

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Me too, and I laughed at the writer's characterization of why they failed to work.

"Thankfully, his extreme dullness prevailed and the plan failed."

LOL!

Quoting jllcali:

I loled at hooker traps.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 7:21 PM
They are looking for writers now, actually. You should send something in! Although I think they have editors that insert a lot of the jokes and "tone." I thought I would try something with it myself, but I just felt like I was too old for the intended audience. I was worried that I would come off "old." I don't have the lingo of the young'uns.
Quoting Momniscient:

It's my dream job!

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting Momniscient:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN