Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A GA high school holds first integrated prom

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:34 AM
  • 41 Replies
For the first time ever, a rural Georgia high school has held an integrated prom, allowing white and black students to do what most other schools around the nation have done for years, ABC News reported April 28.

Thanks to an effort by several students, the Wilcox County High School prom in Rochelle, Ga., on Saturday was not segregated by race for the first time ever.

The school board of Wilcox County High has resisted formally endorsing a prom for years. Instead, year after year, parents have hosted two segregated dances in place of an official prom — one for black students and one for white students.

That changed this year when a group of seniors from Wilcox County took matters into their own hands to end the segregated prom.

The seniors, two black girls and two white girls, created a Facebook page called Integrated Prom to solicit support and donations to fund an independent prom that wouldn’t be racially segregated.

But old traditions apparently die hard in rural Georgia. Besides the integrated prom, there also was another dance for Wilcox County students this year — yet another segregated prom organized by white parents.

Still, fans of the integrated prom Facebook page lauded the efforts to end the segregated dances.

“Congratulations on your integrity and bravery,” wrote one fan.
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
viv212
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:35 AM
2 moms liked this
I can't believe I heard this on the news. We're not in the 50's anymore!
diaperstodating
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:38 AM
5 moms liked this
After all these years I'm glad the Seniors finally took matters in their own hands.
lilblu399
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:41 AM
2 moms liked this
What awesome young ladies! Those "adults" need learn from them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
viv212
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:55 AM
I found another article on this that said the media blew this out of proportion. They said no one complained before... I'm sure the adults who said that condoned the segregated proms.
Radarma
by "OneDar" on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:12 AM
2 moms liked this

Love the way the young ladies took matters into their own hands!

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:33 AM

WOW! that is amazing, it still exists!

I remember when busing was an issue, as schools were being integrated when I was in elementary school in the 70's. I didn't realize that still existed anywhere int he U.S.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Unfreakingbelievable.  What the heck took so long?!?!

BellaByrdie
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Integrity and Bravery.   DISGUSTING!!!!! 

This is 2013 segregation is DISGUSTING.  What would they do for the people who are mixed.  Do they get to go to both or neither. DISGUSTING.  

Kudos to the girls who stood up against such a horrific and ridiculous event.  

Jessica518
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:18 AM
They have their own prom. And the other proms for people who liked it the way it was. Id go to both I love to dance.
viv212
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:18 AM
They still had an all-white prom.

You should see the newscast. The kids were so happy.

Quoting kailu1835:

Unfreakingbelievable.  What the heck took so long?!?!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured