Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A GA high school holds first integrated prom

Posted by   + Show Post
For the first time ever, a rural Georgia high school has held an integrated prom, allowing white and black students to do what most other schools around the nation have done for years, ABC News reported April 28.

Thanks to an effort by several students, the Wilcox County High School prom in Rochelle, Ga., on Saturday was not segregated by race for the first time ever.

The school board of Wilcox County High has resisted formally endorsing a prom for years. Instead, year after year, parents have hosted two segregated dances in place of an official prom — one for black students and one for white students.

That changed this year when a group of seniors from Wilcox County took matters into their own hands to end the segregated prom.

The seniors, two black girls and two white girls, created a Facebook page called Integrated Prom to solicit support and donations to fund an independent prom that wouldn’t be racially segregated.

But old traditions apparently die hard in rural Georgia. Besides the integrated prom, there also was another dance for Wilcox County students this year — yet another segregated prom organized by white parents.

Still, fans of the integrated prom Facebook page lauded the efforts to end the segregated dances.

“Congratulations on your integrity and bravery,” wrote one fan.
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Replies (31-40):
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:29 AM

This just shocks me.  Is it 1960?  Is GA the only place left in the country where this still happens? (segregation)

viv212
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:27 AM
I doubt it.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

This just shocks me.  Is it 1960?  Is GA the only place left in the country where this still happens? (segregation)

mamamiajk
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Good for them! It's been way to long in coming. It makes me wonder if the other all white one was put on by the KKK...

SentRegards
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this
A Mississippi school had their first integrated one in 2008....they made a movie about it
stormcris
by Christy on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:19 PM

This was quite the publicity stunt.

There are racially segregated proms in many areas of the country. There are racially segregated clubs in many areas of the country. There are racially and gender segregated schools. In fact it wasn't so long ago that they were trying to segregate public schools by gender "for the benefit of the children'. Amazing how when it is separating boys and girls no one seems to mind.

Some white people prefer segregation; some black people prefer segregation. PA has been well known for them. It is funny how so many are oblivious to the fact that these occur. People might want to look into when all these others actually ended before acting so shocked and disgusted. 

However, it is amazing that people always assume that these sort of things are wrong or disgusting not just something people do that in no way represents racism as a general pervasive element. It is also funny how they did not write about all the other dances or the fact that when the sheriffs son was killed in automobile wreck that race was never an issue at that funeral. It doesn't show that this town has biracial relationships that are not seen as taboo which is still an issue in many areas of the country. 

But then I guess that is why it ended up on the national news because they needed something new to add a stir in the racial propaganda and all of this other would have detracted from it.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Quoting viv212:

I doubt it.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

SMH. 

MentorMom1
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Why couldn't the ACLU have done something years ago? Do these bigoted parents run the schools? I guess I shouldn't have to ask.

But this school is a public institution. The county accepts federal funds and is required under federal law not to discriminate according to race, among other things. Are they I saying they can hold an event that discriminates against some, if not a lot, of its students? For pity's sake.

This is not the only case I've heard of separate proms, separate prom queens. But I hope it's the last.

MentorMom1
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:50 PM

I remember when a private pool in my township used to tell Blacks that they needed a membership to come in. I'm sure they made it hard to get one: all their members were white.

viv212
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:07 PM
I don't think so. I think parents who are trying to conceal their racism put on separate proms. They term it as "tradition".

Quoting mamamiajk:

Good for them! It's been way to long in coming. It makes me wonder if the other all white one was put on by the KKK...

MommaEST.99
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 12:41 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured