Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

You would let your children starve? S/O

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:54 AM
  • 202 Replies
This is a spin off from the food stamp thread. Some people wrote they would never go on public assistance or food stamps. This is not something I alaways said I would never use but acknowledge if some major shit happened to me it might be necessary. I would never say never.

But. A few were adamant they would never use it. So, to those who would never use it.. Would you let your children starve? Can you really say you would never use food stamps?
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:57 AM
15 moms liked this

I would use food stamps before my children would starve.

I know I would find other things to do before I would go on food stamps.  There are all kinds of ways to make money without having to go on assistance.

I am aware that not everyone has that mindset or ability.  I don't judge.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this
This is how I feel.

Quoting romalove:

I would use food stamps before my children would starve.

I know I would find other things to do before I would go on food stamps.  There are all kinds of ways to make money without having to go on assistance.

I am aware that not everyone has that mindset or ability.  I don't judge.

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:58 AM
6 moms liked this

Those people who say they would "never" use FS... are idiots. It's a pride thing.

FS is there for people who NEED it. If you desperately need it... use it. If not... than great!

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:00 AM
I grew up poor. There were nine of us and my parents divorced when I was four. Hence, my mom was on public assistance and my father did not pay his court ordered child support. All of us kids did things to help my mom bring in extra cash and we would also contribute to the home while living there as we grew and got jobs.

Once I worked, albeit for very little pay and two jobs plus school, I swore that I'd never be in that situation. I made sure that I had my own money, so I haven't ever had to use welfare or food stamps.

I don't judge people who have to use it. I've been there.
GOBryan
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:06 AM
2 moms liked this

PA is there as a TEMPORARY assistance when it's necessary. Those who refuse to use it when they needed are foolish but at the same time people need to get off their ass and look for a solution to be self-supporting and get off of it. 

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband and I have had some rough times financially. At one point we probably qualified for PA but I never looked into it. We sold a car and some other high dollar items we owned. We ate egg salad a lot so that we could buy the high dollar formula our DD used. I've always said that we have been blessed and very fortunate because there were times that we were penniless and the fumes in the gas tank seemed to get DH to work.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:18 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

I grew up poor. There were nine of us and my parents divorced when I was four. Hence, my mom was on public assistance and my father did not pay his court ordered child support. All of us kids did things to help my mom bring in extra cash and we would also contribute to the home while living there as we grew and got jobs.

Once I worked, albeit for very little pay and two jobs plus school, I swore that I'd never be in that situation. I made sure that I had my own money, so I haven't ever had to use welfare or food stamps.

Our mom went on assistance, but there were only 3 of us. My dad also dicked out and refused to pay any support. He had a new family to provide for. Our mom was reluctant to even accept the assistance made available to her, but she went back to school and couldn't pick up extra shifts.

Our mom recently retired with a pretty well thought out retirement plan, IRA and her pension. That's pretty awesome to me.

btamilee
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:20 AM
3 moms liked this

There is nothing wrong with having pride.  I think if more people in this country had pride, perhaps we wouldn't have the issues we have now.  Pride can be a very powerful, useful tool in helping to build a successful life.  As for the the people who NEED help.  I am for it, I think those who are honestly in a rut, and trying to better their situation do NEED the help...temporarily.  The problem with some who feel they need the help, is that they are unwilling to do whatever is necessary to better their situation.  Then it becomes more of a want, not a need.  Needing something  and wanting something are two different things..

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Those people who say they would "never" use FS... are idiots. It's a pride thing.

FS is there for people who NEED it. If you desperately need it... use it. If not... than great!

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Same here, except the divorce part. We grew up dirt poor. There were times when my dad's union was on strike (he worked in a steel mill) that we had to use food stamps, because even though my mom was working, we couldn't pay the bills. 

In addition to learning how to work and save my own money, I also made it an important part of my plan to get an education (college degree). Sometimes people can work 2-3 part time jobs at minimum wage and still not be able to make ends meet because the pay is too low. 

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:25 AM

There is if that pride is keeping you from asking for help and instead letting your children go hungry. Pride can be a good thing, but it also can be a bad thing. 

Quoting btamilee:

There is nothing wrong with having pride.  I think if more people in this country had pride, perhaps we wouldn't have the issues we have now.  Pride can be a very powerful, useful tool in helping to build a successful life.  As for the the people who NEED help.  I am for it, I think those who are honestly in a rut, and trying to better their situation do NEED the help...temporarily.  The problem with some who feel they need the help, is that they are unwilling to do whatever is necessary to better their situation.  Then it becomes more of a want, not a need.  Needing something  and wanting something are two different things..

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)