Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

OT - Have you ever watched an FB friend go through cancer?

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:01 AM
  • 13 Replies

I have so many friends right now going through different stages of cancer, I wish I could offer support, more than just giving them online hugs. I don't know how to help.

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I just walked my 3rd friend through cancer, this time uterine cancer. Each friend wanted support differently and even depending on the particular stage of treatment. Sometimes I would just drop a bag of magazines at her door and drive away, she went through stages she didn't want to talk. My other friend took her cancer as a bucket list opportunity and I found myself going to a gay strip club with her, she's not even gay. Point being, just ask your friend how they would like you to help not what you think they may want and then do what you can. Good luck and love to your friend.

VintageWife
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I have. A fb friend just had a miracle baby in Dec (after 11 m/c) and then a couple weeks later found out she has leukemia. She's going through a lot of treatments right now.

Generica
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Quoting lizzielouaf:

I just walked my 3rd friend through cancer, this time uterine cancer. Each friend wanted support differently and even depending on the particular stage of treatment. Sometimes I would just drop a bag of magazines at her door and drive away, she went through stages she didn't want to talk. My other friend took her cancer as a bucket list opportunity and I found myself going to a gay strip club with her, she's not even gay. Point being, just ask your friend how they would like you to help not what you think they may want and then do what you can. Good luck and love to your friend.

Thanks, right now I have four of them, the one I worry about right now just checked herself into hospice, she can't sleep. It breaks my heart, she's a mom of three and younger than I am, and has fought this stupid disease the whole way through. I just want to cry.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Just keep being there. Always offer your support and ask what you can do to help. Maybe you could send a card with a poem or anything from the heart.

Generica
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Quoting VintageWife:

I have. A fb friend just had a miracle baby in Dec (after 11 m/c) and then a couple weeks later found out she has leukemia. She's going through a lot of treatments right now.

Yeah another one I grew up with was going through a divorce after 25 years of marriage,then finds she has breast cancer. Shes going thru chemo now. She is pretty perky but its hard to watch the posts from any of them, they are sick, can't eat or whatever, I just wanna hug them all.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I've lost a couple of them to Cancer....I don't really have a solid answer for you... :(

Meadowchik
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:20 AM

A friend of our family has lost 3 family members through cancer because of a gentic predisposition: her husband, two sons, and then her daughter is currently in remission.  Several years ago she started a project to help kids through cancer treatment, and this article was published before the passing of her son and husband:

http://www.hairfairy.org/news.html

The link is embedded in the website of her non-profit, here's some links she's provided that could be good resources:

http://www.hairfairy.org/links.html

Sometimes sending a private message with words of encouragement can help.  You could also send a card, or flowers, (and if you're close enough, a visit where you might help out (like bring a meal or clean the kitchen) or sit with them in the hospital.)

Generica
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Meadowchik:

A friend of our family has lost 3 family members through cancer because of a gentic predisposition: her husband, two sons, and then her daughter is currently in remission.  Several years ago she started a project to help kids through cancer treatment, and this article was published before the passing of her son and husband:

http://www.hairfairy.org/news.html

The link is embedded in the website of her non-profit, here's some links she's provided that could be good resources:

http://www.hairfairy.org/links.html

Sometimes sending a private message with words of encouragement can help.  You could also send a card, or flowers, (and if you're close enough, a visit where you might help out (like bring a meal or clean the kitchen) or sit with them in the hospital.)

See I have never met her in person,shes one of those online friends I met through another friend who had cancer, I added her to support her. She does live here in the valley though, maybe I will offer some help around the house or a visit. I messaged her a minute ago to ask her how I can be supportive. Thanks for the links

CBMomma42
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I am a cancer survivor and gave birth to a healthy baby boy 7 months ago. God is so good.

Generica
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Quoting CBMomma42:

I am a cancer survivor and gave birth to a healthy baby boy 7 months ago. God is so good.

Amen!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)