Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What makes the Bible/Qu'ran any different than the other collections of myths throughout history?

Posted by   + Show Post

Yes, I'm asking a religious question. Either answer it or don't but if you feel the need to insult me about it- then don't waste your time and just move on.

I have asked this question numerous time in the 6 years I've been on CM and the only answer I've ever gotten was 'faith'.

I don't accept that response- it answers nothing.

There HAS to be something in that particuar collection of stories that is different which would make it true while all others 'myths' are not. What do you see when reading the bible that you don't see in other- even older religions that makes you believe it to be real/true while denying the others and calling them man-made myths?

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Replies (41-50):
romanceparty4u
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:05 PM

solid principles when it comes to faith and the way one should treat others.

The way it correlates the "reap what you sow factors".

However, the Native Americans aren't too far off either.

AlekD
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

It's actually up for debate whether the ancient Greeks actually believed their myths to be literally true (look up Did the Greeks Believe in Their Myths?: An Essay on the Constitutive Imagination By Paul Veyne), since their religion was much more a matter of community life rather than personal faith. But regardless of that, the difference still remains that the myths of ancient Greece were stories ABOUT the Gods, and not generally considered to be the literal words of the Gods spoken to a prophet through direct revelation.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting AlekD:

The difference is that the Bible and Koran profess to be direct revelation from God, as spoken through prophets. Other collections of myths were written by people who conciously made the decision to sit down and write some myths for allegorical moral instruction. Whether you agree with them or not, the authors of the Bible and Koran believed themselves to be transmitting the actual words of God.

What about people who wrote about ancient Gods and Goddesses?  Those people thought those gods were real and were really speaking to them as well.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Because I'm nosey ;-)

Quoting tooptimistic:

If you don't believe in religion why do you need an answer?

Quoting paganbaby:

I've yet to find that answer either.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Gospel manuscript evidence unearthed over the past 120 years put Matthew within the eye-witness period of Christs Crucifixion.  The paper, called Papyrus, was used to write the Gospel or Matthew and some of Luke's.  This is important because of the age of the paper itself and the script used to write it.  Distinctive writing styles, usage of terms and references to actual locations that Jesus frequented by name (original names) is accounted within his Gospel.

parentalrights1
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this
The difference is that thy were raised in it. They also grew up in a society that largely beloved it. It's their reality

It would be the same if they were born in a country where any other religion was dominant

And I'm sorry you can't ask questions of christians without it being religion bashing. It's always been that way.
BellaByrdie
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think there is any difference I PERSONALLY believe we all worship the same diety.  

I Heard of this and found it VERY interesting.  

Jesus and Horus..... The simularities.

1.Both were conceived of a virgin.
2.Both were the "only begotten son" of a god (either Osiris or Yahweh)
3.Horus's mother was Meri, Jesus's mother was Mary.
4.Horus's foster father was called Jo-Seph, and Jesus's foster father was Joseph.
5.Both foster fathers were of royal descent.
6.Both were born in a cave (although sometimes Jesus is said to have been born in a stable).
7.Both had their coming announced to their mother by an angel.
Horus; birth was heralded by the star Sirius (the morning star). Jesus had his birth heralded by a star in the East (the sun rises in the East).
8.Ancient Egyptians celebrated the birth of Horus on December 21 (the Winter Solstice). Modern Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus on December 25.
9.Both births were announced by angels (this si nto the same as number 7).
10.Both had shepherds witnessing the birth.
11.Horus was visited at birth by "three solar deities" and Jesus was visited by "three wise men".
12.After the birth of Horus, Herut tried to have Horus murdered. After the birth of Jesus, Herod tried to have Jesus murdered.
13.To hide from Herut, the god That tells Isis, "Come, thou goddess Isis, hide thyself with thy child." To hide from Herod, an angel tells Joseph to "arise and take the young child and his mother and flee into Egypt."
14.When Horus came of age, he had a special ritual where hsi eye was restored. When Jesus (and other Jews) come of age, they have a special ritual called a Bar Mitzvah.
15.Both Horus and Jesus were 12 at this coming-of-age ritual. Neither have any official recorded life histories between the ages of 12 and 30.

16.Horus was baptized in the river Eridanus. Jesus was baptized in the river Jordan.
17.Both were baptized at age 30.
18.Horus was baptized by Anup the Baptizer. Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist.
19.Both Anup and John were later beheaded.
20.Horus was taken from the desert of Amenta up a high mountain to be tempted by his arch-rival Set. Jesus was taken from the desert in Palestine up a high mountain to be tempted by his arch-rival Satan.
21.Both Horus and Jesus successfully resist this temptation.
22.Both have 12 disciples.
23.Both walked on water, cast out demons, healed the sick, and restored sight to the blind.
24.Horus "stilled the sea by his power." Jesus commanded the sea to be still by saying, "Peace, be still."
25.Horus raised his dead father (Osiris) from the grave. Jesus raised Lazarus from the grave. (Note the similarity in names when you say them out loud. Further, Osiris was also known as Asar, which is El-Asar in Hebrew, which is El-Asarus in Latin.)
26.Osiris was raised in the town of Anu. Lazarus was raised in Bethanu (literally, "house of Anu").
27.Both gods delivered a Sermon on the Mount.
28.Both were crucified.
29.Both were crucified next to two thieves.
30.Both were buried in a tomb.

31.Horus was sent to Hell and resurrected in 3 days. Jesus was sent to Hell and came back "three days" later (although Friday night to Sunday morning is hardly three days).
32.Both had their resurrection announced by women.
33.Both are supposed to return for a 1000-year reign.
34.Horus is known as KRST, the anointed one. Jesus was known as the Christ (which means "anointed one").
35.Both Jesus and Horus have been called the good shepherd, the lamb of God, the bread of life, the son of man, the Word, the fisher, and the winnower.
36.Both are associated with the zodiac sign of Pisces (the fish).
37.Both are associated with the symbols of the fish, the beetle, the vine, and the shepherd's crook.
38.Horus was born in Anu ("the place of bread") and Jesus was born in Bethlehem ("the house of bread").
39."The infant Horus was carried out of Egypt to escape the wrath of Typhon. The infant Jesus was carried into Egypt to escape the wrath of Herod. Concerning the infant Jesus, the New Testament states the following prophecy: 'Out of Egypt have I called my son.'"
40.Both were transfigured on the mount.
41.The catacombs of Rome have pictures of the infant Horus being held by his mother, not unlike the modern-day images of "Madonna and Child."
Noted English author C. W. King says that both Isis and Mary are called "Immaculate".
42.Horus says: "Osiris, I am your son, come to glorify your soul, and to give you even more power." And Jesus says: "Now is the Son of Man glorified and God is glorified in him. If God is glorified in him, God will glorify the Son in himself, and will glorify him at once."

43. Horus was identified with the Tau (cross). Jesus & Christianity is also symbolized by the cross.

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Good question.  My guess is better PR.  Maybe mind control.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Pretty much. Just another opportunity to bash.

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting tooptimistic:

Wow. You have made enough anti religion posts, that I have changed my mind and decided to become Atheist.   

You obviously think any religion is a myth, so why keep poking at it?

Didn't answer my question.

Move along.

You posted the Christian challenge right, where Christians were supposed to deny being Christian by wearing an Atheist shirt for a week, right?

If you don't believe in religion at all, there is nothing any one could possibly say to you that would be an answer. 

I posted an article that someone ELSE wrote. I didn't make up the challenge myself.

Am I just supposed to not post any religious articles that appear in news feeds because well... I don't believe in god? It's NEWS, it's a CURRENT EVENT  and it's a HOT TOPIC.  I don't JUST post religious things, you know,  but everyone sure has tunnel vision and thinks I do.

As for the answer. It's a simple question that any believer can answer. They can make me a list of items contained in the bible compared to other myths that shows how one is real while the other is not. Telling me 'I have faith' and that's why it's real and the other myths are not is not an un-answer.

I think that's the same attitude the baker lady had when she was posting all the bad Muslim posts.  Its the exact same mentality.

raegan1221
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:21 PM

My answer won't help you at all because I was going to say faith lol. For myself, personally as a Christian it is faith and the things that prayer, faith and God have pulled me through and are currently pulling me through. But that's my opinion. As far as fact, I hope you find the answer that you are looking for from someone else. Good Luck :).

IhartU
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Carpy:

Pretty much. Just another opportunity to bash.

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting tooptimistic:

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting tooptimistic:

Wow. You have made enough anti religion posts, that I have changed my mind and decided to become Atheist.   

You obviously think any religion is a myth, so why keep poking at it?

Didn't answer my question.

Move along.

You posted the Christian challenge right, where Christians were supposed to deny being Christian by wearing an Atheist shirt for a week, right?

If you don't believe in religion at all, there is nothing any one could possibly say to you that would be an answer. 

I posted an article that someone ELSE wrote. I didn't make up the challenge myself.

Am I just supposed to not post any religious articles that appear in news feeds because well... I don't believe in god? It's NEWS, it's a CURRENT EVENT  and it's a HOT TOPIC.  I don't JUST post religious things, you know,  but everyone sure has tunnel vision and thinks I do.

As for the answer. It's a simple question that any believer can answer. They can make me a list of items contained in the bible compared to other myths that shows how one is real while the other is not. Telling me 'I have faith' and that's why it's real and the other myths are not is not an un-answer.

I think that's the same attitude the baker lady had when she was posting all the bad Muslim posts.  Its the exact same mentality.

Yes, because asking questions and trying to make people think about their own beliefs is bashing. Same ole' bullshit insinuations... *yawn*.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)