Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What comes to your mind when you hear the words "school shooting"?

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:12 PM
  • 22 Replies

School Shooting Has Just One Victim But Isn't That Enough?

by Jeanne Sager

classroomSchool shooting. Two words that put American parents into a panic. We're primed to expect the worst. What happened at an all-boys parochial high school in Cincinnati, Ohio this morning was bad enough.

It isn't a story of mass casualties. Just one student at La Salle High School was injured, and so far cops say the investigation indicates he shot himself.

At press time, the school shooting's sole victim was still alive -- thank heavens -- and was rushed to a nearby hospital. There's no indication that threats were made against the school or that the other students are in any danger (or ever were).

This school shooting seems to relate to the tragedies at Sandy Hook, at Columbine, at Chardon, at Virginia Tech only in that there was a shooting and it happened in a school.

But I can't help but note the visceral reaction to the words "school shooting."

My stomach clenches. Tears start at the corners of my eyes. My fists began to form little balls. And all this comes before I begin to read the details. All this happened this afternoon before I learned the sad tale of a child who is now fighting for his life at a Cincinnati hospital.

What happened at La Salle is a tragedy of a different sort from those other school shootings. They're both heartbreaking, but comparing them is impossible.

That we even think to is a sad commentary on what has become of our society. We are a nation where school shootings are so commonplace that we're primed to expect something more of the Newtown variety than the equally upsetting but very different suicide attempt that authorities indicate happened in Ohio this morning.

It wasn't always this way.

I was raised before any of the tragedies I mentioned had come to pass. We had a rifle range in the basement of my school. Classmates drove onto campus with guns in the backseat of their vehicles. School and shooting were not words strung together in the way that they are now.

I miss those days.

When the gun in the rack in a pickup truck on school grounds wouldn't raise an eyebrow, forget the SWAT team.

When the news that a boy had shot himself inside a classroom would have made us wonder more about that poor child and less about the risk he posed to other kids.

What comes to your mind when you hear the words "school shooting"?

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:42 PM

When i hear "school shooting" i think of multiple people being shot or at least multiple shots being fired by non-law enforcement at a school.

I would call that a suicide attempt. I think authors semantics are way off...school shooting is part of our cultural jargon and is a phrase used to describe a specific event. Th

Plus...i don't think most people hear the story and immediately think of the safety of the other children...they think about the kid who tried to kill himself. 

IMO, the author is really reaching. 

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Apr. 29, 2013 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Taber, Columbine, Sandy Hook ... and all the ones between.

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 5:07 PM

What comes to mind is the desperation of some people that can no longer cope with their own struggles, state of being for whatever reason.  To unload your pain, wrath and disillusionment with society in a deadly and public way; stoic and callous to take the lives of the innocent needs to be pre-empted with far better mental health care services than this country provides.  When people are `crazy' they are that was for a reason.

candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 29, 2013 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

what comes to mind is not to jump to conclusions until I get the story.

lga1965
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:39 PM

That people have been shot at a school. What else?

The author of this piece says:

I was raised before any of the tragedies I mentioned had come to pass. We had a rifle range in the basement of my school. Classmates drove onto campus with guns in the backseat of their vehicles. School and shooting were not words strung together in the way that they are now.

I miss those days.

When the gun in the rack in a pickup truck on school grounds wouldn't raise an eyebrow, forget the SWAT team.

When the news that a boy had shot himself inside a classroom would have made us wonder more about that poor child and less about the risk he posed to other kids

Now...THIS I simply cannot relate to. The idea of guns in the back of a car or in a gun rack in the back window of a truck was a usual thing for them to see and nobody thought about it. It never happened in my state.I'm from a large city. The only people I knew with guns were hunters who kept their guns locked up all year and took them out when deer hunting season opened.

That never happened where I lived and went to school. It was not like that where my kids went to school.

The only city where we saw guns in trucks was in a small North Carolina town and it turned my stomach, along with their Rebel Flags.

That is just not acceptable.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Bad guys with guns.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
desertlvn
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Innocent children and teachers stuck in a box room unable to defend themselves.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:47 PM

MUST ban guns from ALL!

Yah.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Tragedy

jeweldragons
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Bullied kids.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN