Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Tim Tebow Cut By NFL's Jets

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:23 PM
  • 34 Replies

He'll have to find a new team now: Then-New York Jets backup quarterback Tim Tebow on the sidelines during a game last December. The team cut him from its roster on Monday.

John Angelillo /UPI /Landov

In 2011, he was the hottest name in football, for his "Tebowing" and for leading the Denver Broncos into the playoffs.

Before the 2012 season, he was traded to the New York Jets — putting him smack dab in the center of the brightest of the media's spotlights.

Now, quarterback Tim Tebow has been cut after just one season as a little-used backup with the Jets.

The team has confirmed earlier reports from the New York PostESPN and NFL.com. It has waived the former University of Florida star:

"We have a great deal of respect for Tim Tebow," Jets head coach Rex Ryan says in a statement released by the team. "Unfortunately, things did not work out the way we all had hoped. Tim is an extremely hard worker, evident by the shape he came back in this offseason. We wish him the best moving forward."

As NFL.com says, once the Jets selected West Virginia's Geno Smith in the second round of last week's draft, Tebow was "the odd man out." His troubles passing the ball — a key skill for a quarterback, obviously — made it tough to keep him on the team. It looks as though incumbent Jets starter Mark Sanchez and Smith will compete for the QB duties.

According to USA Today:

"Tebow's NFL career is now in major jeopardy, unless of course he accepts a role as anything other than a quarterback. The Jets envisioned him as a Swiss Army knife of a player, and Tebow played a bunch of roles for them early last season — pass protector, punt protector, wide receiver and even H-back. The Jets also wanted to use him as a tailback, though that never materialized."

ESPN adds that "Tebow would help his chances by agreeing to switch positions, several league executives said, but he wants to remain a quarterback."

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashellbell
by shellbark on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:25 PM
7 moms liked this
Hmmmmm...he should've prayed harder.

ETA: I meant to type "played". I'm not changing it now, though.
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:04 PM

How was he planning on supporting himself in the future? Best start looking in that direction, now.

Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this

He should give up on the football, and go straight to the christian motivational speaking curcuit. He will never get a fair shake in the NFL, and he can make way more on with speaking tours than he will destroying his body. 

ashellbell
by shellbark on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:10 PM
You don't think he got a fair shake in the NFL? Really? Because of what?

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

He should give up on the football, and go straight to the christian motivational speaking curcuit. He will never get a fair shake in the NFL, and he can make way more on with speaking tours than he will destroying his body. 

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Interesting- he was made a pseudo rock star in Denver- attention far too great for skill level, IMO.

Yep, he needs to get on the Christian money making circuit.

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

ashellbell
by shellbark on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this
That's what I was thinking as well. Everyone was crazy for Tebow. He's hot and all but he's a shitty professional ball player, others started to notice that as well, it seems.

Quoting Sisteract:

Interesting- he was made a pseudo rock star in Denver- attention far too great for skill level, IMO.

Yep, he needs to get on the Christian money making circuit.

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I suppose I should ammend that. He was not going to get a fair shake with sports media, for being so open about his faith. The same reason RGIII was blasted by sports commentators. Because they refused to fit the stereotype of how a pro baller should behave. I am not a Tebow fan. I don't watch profootball at all. But honestly, I think Tebow could do better than playing a child's game for peanuts, when he so obviously has greater talents.

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

ashellbell
by shellbark on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:18 PM
The public loooooooooved tebow, though. He got too much credit because of his faith. At the end of the day, he was all faith and a subpar athlete. He should get on the Christian circuit. He's very charismatic and the youngins will love him.

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

I suppose I should ammend that. He was not going to get a fair shake with sports media, for being so open about his faith. The same reason RGIII was blasted by sports commentators. Because they refused to fit the stereotype of how a pro baller should behave. I am not a Tebow fan. I don't watch profootball at all. But honestly, I think Tebow could do better than playing a child's game for peanuts, when he so obviously has greater talents.

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Peanuts? Well, yes because a football career is so short lived, but is religiously influenced motivational speaking really all that much better? I mean Jim and TF Baker? Kate Gosselin and her Ex- just a couple that come to mind. IDK about that career being so deserving of awe or greenbacks either. What other great(er) talents does this young man currently possess?

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:23 PM

But he was mocked by sports repeorters. As i said, I don't have a dog in this fight. I don't watch him. I find the NFL to be the silliest of profesional sports. But after hearing some of the stuff that was said about another player (RGIII), and expressing my disgust for things said about him, someone suggested I research the crap said about Tebow. The only difference with Tebow is that no one accused him of trying to not be white.

Quoting ashellbell:

The public loooooooooved tebow, though. He got too much credit because of his faith. At the end of the day, he was all faith and a subpar athlete. He should get on the Christian circuit. He's very charismatic and the youngins will love him.

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

Quoting ashellbell:

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)