Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The public schools are going to remove all of the books that 'promote' or contain gun violence

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 5:06 PM
  • 30 Replies

What would you say? How would you react? What would you do if you got a letter from school that said due to all of the 'gun violence' latley the school district was going to be taking 1000's of books off the library shelves?

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
desertlvn
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd sigh and expand my library at home.

I actually had a student once who continually drew pictures of gun violence. He went from warnings, to meetings with the administration, to almost getting suspended. One day he proceeded to take book after book out of the classroom library and show the violence to me to make his point. I was so proud of him. I took him and his message to the administration. We had a long talk and it was such a great day for me. I LOVE when kids really think and question the world.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:49 PM
I'd look around to see who was Punking me.
SuperChicken
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I hope this is just a hypothetical? 

headingsouth13
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:50 PM

i'd be mad and fright it to be honest. it would be censorship at one of its worse

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

CatFishMom
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I'd be fighting it because it's censorship. Enough is enough-it's not a school's place, the government's place, or anyone else's place to determine what we or our children read-it's OURS.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I'm not at all for banning books. I would be angry.

sheramom4
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I would be fighting it with the school board. All those classics lost to the kids whose parents can't afford a private collection......Little House on the Prairie, most of the works of Mark Twain, and many others. Plus more recent works like The Hunger Games. I would be very upset.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Quoting SuperChicken:

nope

desertlvn
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:34 PM

*gulp* That's not good. 

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting SuperChicken:

nope

Farmlady09
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:49 PM
2 moms liked this

What would I say to that sort of stupidity? Most likely things that the school board and possibly some teachers would need to look up definitions in order to figure out what I said and how often their intelligence (and that of their extended family tree) had been insulted.

Guns are not the problem. Parents who do not teach their children to respect life, that they are loved and wanted and cared about, who themselves are violent, who are absent, who use their children as either paychecks or pawns, who let them run the streets (so they have 'me time', can sleep off whatever they dropped/snorted/shot up/drank, etc.) are the reason we have so many violent, out of control, understand no boundaries, respect nothing and no one (not even themselves) people running around.

Everything is 'me me me', including parents ~ and the children they are raising are feeding on that.

As for the schools, if they would stick to teaching reading, writing, and arithmetic (and history so it doesn't get repeated) instead of the rest of the crap that is used to fill up the day and solves nothing, teaches nothing, and does squat to prepare any child for a productive life in the real world, our children would be far better off.

As it is right now, more than half of the children IN public schools can't read even the 1st grade books on the shelves ~ which makes removing them just one more utter waste of time that the public schools indulge in. Their campaign to churn out dumb and obedient little drones has already rendered the school library a waste imo ... but that's no reason to empty if of material that the teachers themselves obviously don't understand (and have great need of).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN