Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What's the real reason you don't want your child to get an IEP?

Has your child's team of teachers ever suggested your child get tested or be provided with an IEP? If you declined to get tested or get an IEP for your child, what were your reasons.

If your child has an IEP what were some of the talking points that helped you decide to utilize an IEP?

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Replies (31-40):
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:59 PM
I was thrilled when we finally got an IEP for my son!

It took almost 2 years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMDS0304
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:05 PM
My son has many disoders so there was no reason for me to decline an IEP. My dd is dyslexic, has a disorder and ADHD once again I didn't decline an IEP for her. I don't know why anyone would refuse it if there child needs one.
LilyofPhilly
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:05 PM

IEP's are a joke. If they can't follow through, they call you in mid-year and try to get it changed. They do it under the premise that it's what's best for your child. Public schools simply don't have the resources to follow through on all children's IEP's. It's a noble effort, without real results for many children.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:06 PM

You are absolutely right about that. Mine hasn't always been positive. I have to stay on top of it, absolutely. In fact, it's taken a lot of me being there and reminding them this is a legal document they *have* to follow to get them to abide by it. Just because a child has an IEP does not mean it will be followed. I've learned that one the hard way. 

Quoting katy_kay08:

my friend's son doesn't get the assistance instead his teacher uses it as an excuse to send him out into the hall or to the principal's office.  Not every student has a positive IEP experience.  

Our district has also started essentially segregating the special needs students into specific schools.  The high achievers are bused to 2 different schools in the district and the special needs kids are bused to a couple of the schools, and incidentally the schools chosen are the schools with the least active PTA and the fewest extra curricular activities.  Unfortunately the schools' budgets go to provide aides so the kids that do not fall into either category miss out on all the extras happening at the schools without the influx of high needs children.  

Quoting cjsbmom:

My son has had an IEP since he started school at my insistence. He was diagnosed with high functioning autism at age 3, so I knew he'd need the assistance. It contains provisions for an aide in the classroom, plus a behavior plan. 

Another little boy in his class who has the same diagnosis just now got an IEP after three years of struggling. His parents were afraid to get him one because they didn't want him to be "labeled." I have never understood this rationale. Your child already has a diagnosis, and he's acting out in class because his needs aren't being met. So he already has a label as a difficult child. Why not put a real face on it and get that child the help he needs?

ThatTXMom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:12 PM

My daugter was put oan IEP in PPCD.  She remained on an IEP through grade 8. If not for the IEP, she would have fallen through the cracks.  She looked "normal" but had delays, adhd, and ODD.  The IEP gave me the tool I needed to ensure she received the services se required.  She is notw in college and doing wnderfully well.  Chesmistry is kicking her ass.  But other than that.... she amazes me every day.

lga1965
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:15 PM

What is an IEP?

My kids have been out of school for over 20 years and I don't recall hearing that.

katy_kay08
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Individualized Education Plan

Quoting lga1965:

What is an IEP?

My kids have been out of school for over 20 years and I don't recall hearing that.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I LOVE that my child has an IEP. In fact, I think ALL studentsshould have an IEP. Think about it, it just makes sense! Having an Individual Educational Plan prompts success both socially and academically for the student. Teachers tailor-make the curriculum to each and every child based on that child's needs; promoting success in learning by focusing and developing the student's strengths and supporting and remediating the student's weaknesses. I fight each and every year to maintain my child's IEP. I know that he has a full team of teachers supporting him and assistng him with his social and academic success. He has an automatic safety net. Every student deserves to have this!

I shake my head in disbelief when parents fight against the IEP. The fools! Those parents are doing a great disservice to their child; dooming thier child to school struggle if not failure.

lga1965
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you. That sounds like a good thing.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Individualized Education Plan

Quoting lga1965:

What is an IEP?

unspecified42
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:19 PM
His teacher recommended it, but the school won't test him because he isn't failing. Won't offer occupational therapy that his pediatrician recommended because he isn't learning disabled. Luckily our insurance will cover it come July.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)