Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Topless in the Country of Hijab?

Posted by   + Show Post

'Muslim women against FEMEN' - we got a letter with this title after our worldwide demonstration Topless Jihad to support the Tunisian feminist Amina Tyler and the freedom of Arab women everywhere. I asked myself who are the authors of the letter? FEMEN is a movement with history, with ideology, a manifesto and clear activity. The letter is obviously written not in feminist rhetoric at all, they are making accusations of racism.

Being born in post USSR country (Ukraine) I know exactly that it's a common trait of dictatorial countries to promote the official position of the government pretending that it's backed by the people.

I don't deny the fact that there Muslim women who will say they are free and the hijab is their choice and right.

For example, like this sweet lady:

2013-04-07-younggirl.JPG

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Replies (31-40):
annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:46 PM
2 moms liked this

Nope.

FEMEN not against Hijab.

Did you read this part of the article:

"And you can put as many scarves as you want if you are free tomorrow to take it off and to put it back the next day but don't deny millions of your sisters who have fear behind their scarves, don't deny that there are million of your sisters who have been raped and killed because they are not following the wish of Allah!"

Quoting Aslen:

Ever worn hijab op?

Anonopotamus
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this
If that's the case why aren't they(Femen) applauding the Tunisian revolution for allowing women the legal right to choose to cover, instead of forcing them to uncover?, What's the point of Femen protesting topless at Tunisian embassies and interrupting the Tunisian president while he was in France?

Just an FYI about the Tunisian president, elected to his position by a government whose biggest party is a moderate Muslim party, His party is a human rights party by the way, he's against the death penalty, which hasn't been used in Tunisia since 1991, by the way.

Quoting annabl1970:

LOL You don't get it.

BTW no one will stone you to death if one day you decide you don't want to be a Catholic.

FEMEN wants all women have the same rights, as you have, to choose for themselves to wear hijab or not,  be devoted muslim or not, or post whatever photos of themselves on-line...

Quoting AlekD:

Claiming to speak on behalf of all women and telling those with different values that they are wrong is the opposite of feminism. Btw.

AlekD
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this
And that would be just fine and dandy if she didn't go on to say that she dreams of a world where people who think differently than her are forced to practice their religion in private and submit to a government where they are not allowed to vote according to their own beliefs.

FEMEN has fallen into the unfortunately common trap of hating something so much that they become what they hate.

Quoting annabl1970: 
Nope.
FEMEN not against Hijab.
"And you can put as many scarves as you want if you are free tomorrow to take it off and to put it back the next day but don't deny millions of your sisters who have fear behind their scarves, don't deny that there are million of your sisters who have been raped and killed because they are not following the wish of Allah!"

Quoting Aslen:Ever worn hijab op?

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Ugh you messed up everything.

The religiousfactor should be last on the list, when one voting for political leader. The leader's politics and agenda should play main role in voting.

Voting according ONLY with to one's faith, can bring disastrous results, as we can see in some countries in Middle East.

Quoting AlekD:

You are so right! Hold on a sec, i am just going to go change my values and beliefs real quick, because i have never heard such a thought provoking and compelling argument for atheism before!

I think its....interesting that you are saying that people with different beliefs than yours shouldnt be able to vote according to those beliefs and instead should be forced to keep those beliefs secret and submit to your prefered worldview and yet you accuse me of promoting theocracy.

Quoting annabl1970:

Hopefully there a few  like you, most of us vote with our brains ...

Quoting AlekD:

Yes.

Quoting annabl1970:

Hmm you mean vote according their religious beliefs?

Quoting AlekD:

I am for people being free to practice their religion in public and vote according to their beliefs.

Quoting annabl1970:

Explain:)

So you for theocracy?

Quoting AlekD:

Not in a million years, honey.

Quoting annabl1970:

YEP, basically this:

a world with religions that are only in your houses or churches and don't appear in other places.

Quoting AlekD:

So basically, your answer to religious extremeism and terrorism is to enforce dont ask, dont tell on all the religious people in the world (thats 84% of the world population) because atheists (16% of the world population) think that our deepest held belief is a "fantasy?"

Quoting annabl1970:

"Often, before going to sleep I dream about a world with religions that are only in your houses or churches and don't appear in other places. And do you know what I see? I see the world without Serbs, Croats and Muslims being massacred, without 9/11, without witch-hunts, without 7/7, a world without suicide bombers and without the Taliban, without Israeli/Palestinian wars, without persecution of Jews as 'Christ-killers', without Nothern Ireland troubles, without Crusades, a world where are no public beheadings of blasphemers and no flogging of female skin for the crime of showing an inch of it."

bravo Irina!!!

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:00 PM

She said in churches, didn't she?

Do not mix religion and politics...and your country will have less trouble

Quoting AlekD:

And that would be just fine and dandy if she didn't go on to say that she dreams of a world where people who think differently than her are forced to practice their religion in private and submit to a government where they are not allowed to vote according to their own beliefs.

FEMEN has fallen into the unfortunately common trap of hating something so much that they become what they hate.

Quoting annabl1970: 
Nope.
FEMEN not against Hijab.

Quoting Aslen:Ever worn hijab op?

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Strange... it is pretty much how my life is.

Without going into a church (and discounting the fun I have with the JWs on the doorstep) I do NOT run across religion in my real life.

On CM, every bloody minute, but it's stark in its contrast to the real world where I live.

Quoting AlekD:

So basically, your answer to religious extremeism and terrorism is to enforce dont ask, dont tell on all the religious people in the world (thats 84% of the world population) because atheists (16% of the world population) think that our deepest held belief is a "fantasy?"

Quoting annabl1970:

"Often, before going to sleep I dream about a world with religions that are only in your houses or churches and don't appear in other places. And do you know what I see? I see the world without Serbs, Croats and Muslims being massacred, without 9/11, without witch-hunts, without 7/7, a world without suicide bombers and without the Taliban, without Israeli/Palestinian wars, without persecution of Jews as 'Christ-killers', without Nothern Ireland troubles, without Crusades, a world where are no public beheadings of blasphemers and no flogging of female skin for the crime of showing an inch of it."

bravo Irina!!!

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Amina Tyler: Topless Tunisian Protester Tells Femen She Was Beaten, Kidnapped & Drugged By Her Family (VIDEO)

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/04/15/amina-tyler-topless-tunisian-protester-femen-beaten-kidnapped-drugged-family_n_3083803.html?1366028624

Quoting Anonopotamus:

If that's the case why aren't they(Femen) applauding the Tunisian revolution for allowing women the legal right to choose to cover, instead of forcing them to uncover?, What's the point of Femen protesting topless at Tunisian embassies and interrupting the Tunisian president while he was in France?

Just an FYI about the Tunisian president, elected to his position by a government whose biggest party is a moderate Muslim party, His party is a human rights party by the way, he's against the death penalty, which hasn't been used in Tunisia since 1991, by the way.

Quoting annabl1970:

LOL You don't get it.

BTW no one will stone you to death if one day you decide you don't want to be a Catholic.

FEMEN wants all women have the same rights, as you have, to choose for themselves to wear hijab or not,  be devoted muslim or not, or post whatever photos of themselves on-line...

Quoting AlekD:

Claiming to speak on behalf of all women and telling those with different values that they are wrong is the opposite of feminism. Btw.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I have. It's a great style for the kind of winter we have here, which often involves high winds and rain-to-the-earhole.

It is better than a hood, because you can't turn your head into it (and thereby see absolutely nothing)...

Quoting Aslen:

Ever worn hijab op?

AlekD
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:08 PM
/facepalm

Let EVERYONE vote according to their own beliefs....and your country will have a lot less trouble. You are still saying that people who disagree with your values shouldn't vote according to their own values. You arent allowed to take away that right.

Quoting annabl1970: She said in churches, didn't she?
Do not mix religion and politics...and your country will have less trouble

Quoting AlekD:And that would be just fine and dandy if she didn't go on to say that she dreams of a world where people who think differently than her are forced to practice their religion in private and submit to a government where they are not allowed to vote according to their own beliefs.FEMEN has fallen into the unfortunately common trap of hating something so much that they become what they hate.Quoting annabl1970: Nope.FEMEN not against Hijab.Did you read this part of the article:"And you can put as many scarves as you want if you are free tomorrow to take it off and to put it back the next day but don't deny millions of your sisters who have fear behind their scarves, don't deny that there are million of your sisters who have been raped and killed because they are not following the wish of Allah!" Quoting Aslen:Ever worn hijab op? 

Anonopotamus
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Allegations from femen, her atheist Feminist lawyer, very well known, has denied these allegations.

Her family has claimed Amina has been under psychological care for 6 years. Her lawyer has not refuted that.

Quoting annabl1970:

Amina Tyler: Topless Tunisian Protester Tells Femen She Was Beaten, Kidnapped & Drugged By Her Family (VIDEO)

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/04/15/amina-tyler-topless-tunisian-protester-femen-beaten-kidnapped-drugged-family_n_3083803.html?1366028624

Quoting Anonopotamus:

Quoting annabl1970:

LOL You don't get it.

Quoting AlekD:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)