Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Taking Vicodin

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:37 AM
  • 98 Replies

Does anyone know anything about Vicodin? I have fallen down a flight of 12 stairs and broke my tail bone and collar bone. The doctor put me on 750mg of Vicodin (1 or 2) every 6 hours. He said my recovery time is going to be about 6 weeks.

I have heard it is very addicting so over the last 2 days since this has happened I have been using the sparingly but without them the pain is excruciating. Even with them I have to have my daughter or husband dress and undress me and give me my shower. Not to mention I have to get up and down that same flight of stairs several times a day where my room and the bathroom with the shower are.

I went to bed last nigh without taking anything figuring if I am sleeping I wont be in pain... WRONG !!!!! I don't think I ever had pain like this before. I almost think it is worse than child birth lol.

How addicting is it if I only use it as directed which so hapens to be 24 hours a day lol? As I recover will I have a hard time getting off of them? Will I need them the whole 6 weeks and if so will I build up resistance to where they wont work anymore as I am alone most of the time and have to be able to move and do things for myself most of the time.

I would love any advice from anyone who has ever had to depend on this drug for several weeks or more as I have found not  taking them is not an option and without them I can not move at all.

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:48 AM
You don't get addicted in one night so go ahead and take them as prescribed for the first week at least. It is easy to get dependent so as your pain lessens, your pill taking should also slow down. I don't think you'll have any major problems as long as you taper them off when you're done.
unspecified42
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:50 AM
1 mom liked this
It's not 750 mg or you'd probably be dead. If you take them around the clock for six months you might build up some tolerance or have some problems getting off it. Have you tried taking them with an anti inflammatory like Motrin?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muslimah
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:04 AM

Quoting AdrianneHill:

You don't get addicted in one night so go ahead and take them as prescribed for the first week at least. It is easy to get dependent so as your pain lessens, your pill taking should also slow down. I don't think you'll have any major problems as long as you taper them off when you're done.

Thank you

muslimah
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:15 AM

Quoting unspecified42:

It's not 750 mg or you'd probably be dead. If you take them around the clock for six months you might build up some tolerance or have some problems getting off it. Have you tried taking them with an anti inflammatory like Motrin?

They are actually the generic for Vicodin. The exact name on the bottle is

Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen 750 -325T

I do know that Vicodin do go up to at least 1000mg because my husband was prescribed them after a car accident but he wont take pills so he threw them away.

His friends went crazy when they found out he threw them away lol. They were like "what the hell is wrong with you? You should have given them to me"

unspecified42
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:27 AM
No, it isn't. It comes in 7.5mg of hydrocodone (and 5mg and 10mg. The amount of Tylenol varies as well) but 750mg would be a lethal dose for pretty much everybody.

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting unspecified42:

I do know that Vicodin do go up to at least 1000mg because my husband was prescribed them after a car accident but he wont take pills so he threw them away.

His friends went crazy when they found out he threw them away lol. They were like "what the hell is wrong with you? You should have given them to me"

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muslimah
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:36 AM

Quoting unspecified42:

No, it isn't. It comes in 7.5mg of hydrocodone (and 5mg and 10mg. The amount of Tylenol varies as well) but 750mg would be a lethal dose for pretty much everybody.

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting unspecified42:

Ok I will take your word for it. I am sure yow more about it than me or I wouldn't have had to make this post in the first place. All I know is the doctor told he was giving me Vicodin and the pharmacy said what they gave me was the generic brand.

Thank you.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:47 AM
2 moms liked this

Vicodin is a mild narcotic, they are part tylenol.  You do not get addicted to them easily.  But if you start cleaning on them, next thing you know, your doing the walls, scrubbing floors, who knows, what.  They make me very hyper.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:49 AM

I think our equivalent is Panadeine Forte...strong shit :-)  

I am like you and dont like to take drugs that have high addictive qualities.  Panadeine Forte I have used a couple of times in my life and they did their job and then I put them away for a rainy day.  Its so hard to get them off the doctor so I squirrel them away...and hide them from my hypochondriac hubby LOL

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:51 AM

Quoting Carpy:

Vicodin is a mild narcotic, they are part tylenol.  You do not get addicted to them easily.  But if you start cleaning on them, next thing you know, your doing the walls, scrubbing floors, who knows, what.  They make me very hyper.

LOL...they do the exact opposite.  Codeine makes me fall asleep...our equivalent is Panadeine Forte and is the BEST sleeping tablet Ive ever had.

destiny2nv
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:57 AM
As long as you take them as prescribed you will be fine. If you start taking two or three at once then you are in trouble. It takes months on months to build up a tolerance like that.
Hope you feel better soon.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)