Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How Hummus Helps You Lose Weight

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:45 AM
  • 56 Replies

I stick to the traditional Arab recipe because thats the only way I have ever made it and the only way anyone in this house will eat it. Any other way they would say it's not hummus but hey what can you expect from a house full of Arabs lol. Although I am sure all the variations are good.

They say you can use a blender but I don't recomend it. It comes out allot better and is allot easier with a food processor.

Also don't forget to only use cold pressed extra virgin olive oil and no other kind of oil.

When it comes to having a healthy fridge, staying stocked with low-calorie, high-nutrient foods makes eating right an easy choice. That's why we love keeping ours stocked with hummus. Here's why the condiment classic can help you drop pounds.

1. It's a low-calorie substitute: Who needs mayonnaise (90 calories per tablespoon) when a dollop of hummus (27 calories per tablespoon for a basic hummus recipe) on your sandwich satisfies just as well? The creamy spread also works well to quiet dip cravings or as a salad dressing substitute to help you shave calories in your daily meals.
  2. It keeps you full: Made from chickpeas, hummus is a great source of protein and fiber, both of which will help keep you feeling full. Adding hummus to your favorite healthy meal will help give your body sustained energy for your workouts or will keep you from reaching for junk food when your stomach starts grumbling in the afternoon. In fact, a small study even found that people who ate more chickpeas in their diet ended up eating less low-fiber, high-fat foods — and ended up losing more weight because of it.
  3. It's easy to make: It's well known that homemade food helps you keep pounds in check, since you know exactly what's in your meals. Luckily, not only is making a batch of hummus simple to make — just throw your ingredients in a blender — but also, the versatile condiment lends itself to many different flavor profiles to keep your taste buds from becoming bored. Check out a few of our favorite healthy hummus recipes to get inspired!

http://www.fitsugar.com/Hummus-Weight-Loss-29860994

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Piskie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:47 AM
Because its disgusting and you won't want to eat anything..... Lol.
I can't stand hummus.
Dukha is awesome snack food....
Sunshine257
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:50 AM
I love hummus with red bell peppers yummy ..
lwalker270
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:52 AM
I love hummus!
Shoota
by Lauren on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:04 AM

I love hummus! I make it at home sometimes, and if I'm lazy I'll buy it. Also, if your having a bunch of people over its a great cheap snack you can make that is delicious.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:21 AM

I'll try it again---the last time I had it it was way too garlicy. 

muslimah
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:26 AM

Quoting Piskie:

I can't stand hummus.

I don't think it's disgusting. I like it but I will admit that after a life time of having it in my face everyday I am sick of it and will only have maybe a spoon full over my meat now and then.

I am a server in an Arabic restaurant and the American customers go crazy over it.

Piskie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:37 AM
Hehe. I know lots of people love it. Just one of those foods I cannot stand at all. Those and artichokes .... Evil both of em. Lol.

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting Piskie:

I can't stand hummus.

I don't think it's disgusting. I like it but I will admit that after a life time of having it in my face everyday I am sick of it and will only have maybe a spoon full over my meat now and then.

I am a server in an Arabic restaurant and the American customers go crazy over it.

muslimah
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:42 AM

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I'll try it again---the last time I had it it was way too garlicy. 

If you make it yourself you can always modify the garlic to your liking.

PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:44 AM

You don't use tahini in your hummus?

muslimah
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:45 AM

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

You don't use tahini in your hummus?

Of course. It wouldn't be hummus without it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)