Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Hummus Helps You Lose Weight

Posted by   + Show Post

I stick to the traditional Arab recipe because thats the only way I have ever made it and the only way anyone in this house will eat it. Any other way they would say it's not hummus but hey what can you expect from a house full of Arabs lol. Although I am sure all the variations are good.

They say you can use a blender but I don't recomend it. It comes out allot better and is allot easier with a food processor.

Also don't forget to only use cold pressed extra virgin olive oil and no other kind of oil.

When it comes to having a healthy fridge, staying stocked with low-calorie, high-nutrient foods makes eating right an easy choice. That's why we love keeping ours stocked with hummus. Here's why the condiment classic can help you drop pounds.

1. It's a low-calorie substitute: Who needs mayonnaise (90 calories per tablespoon) when a dollop of hummus (27 calories per tablespoon for a basic hummus recipe) on your sandwich satisfies just as well? The creamy spread also works well to quiet dip cravings or as a salad dressing substitute to help you shave calories in your daily meals.
  2. It keeps you full: Made from chickpeas, hummus is a great source of protein and fiber, both of which will help keep you feeling full. Adding hummus to your favorite healthy meal will help give your body sustained energy for your workouts or will keep you from reaching for junk food when your stomach starts grumbling in the afternoon. In fact, a small study even found that people who ate more chickpeas in their diet ended up eating less low-fiber, high-fat foods — and ended up losing more weight because of it.
  3. It's easy to make: It's well known that homemade food helps you keep pounds in check, since you know exactly what's in your meals. Luckily, not only is making a batch of hummus simple to make — just throw your ingredients in a blender — but also, the versatile condiment lends itself to many different flavor profiles to keep your taste buds from becoming bored. Check out a few of our favorite healthy hummus recipes to get inspired!

http://www.fitsugar.com/Hummus-Weight-Loss-29860994

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:45 AM
Replies (11-20):
teri4lance
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:48 AM
Lol i learned not to have hummus as a late afternoon snack. It will ruin your supper!
I like the sabra specially spicy. I do get picky on them...I don't like when it's got a sour taste to it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muslimah
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Quoting teri4lance:

Lol i learned not to have hummus as a late afternoon snack. It will ruin your supper!
I like the sabra specially spicy. I do get picky on them...I don't like when it's got a sour taste to it.

You wouldn't like my cooking then. I cook Iraqi style which means allot of citrus salt and lemon.

teri4lance
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:55 AM
I like it on some things but not in the hummus.

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting teri4lance:

You wouldn't like my cooking then. I cook Iraqi style which means allot of citrus salt and lemon.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:58 AM

I love it but my husband? He calls it bean snot! LOL

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:48 AM

We use hummus all the time here. I love it!

I love all the 'mediterranean' quisines anyway. Really the easiest way to be vegetarian, I find. 

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:50 AM

I haven't tried making hummus yet, but I have eating lots of chick pea salad lately for lunch.  I also just discovered how amazing lentils are. 

I think I will have to make some hummus later today.  :) 

What is tahini?  Can I get it at the regular grocery?

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:54 AM

I can't stand hummus but I love chick peas.  I think it's a texture thing.  I hate mayonnaise too.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Muslimah, maybe you should share some recipes.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Quoting tooptimistic:

I haven't tried making hummus yet, but I have eating lots of chick pea salad lately for lunch.  I also just discovered how amazing lentils are. 

tahini is sesame seed... butter. Usually, yes, you can find it. Sometimes it's pricier at regular grocery stores than at a specialty store of health-food store.

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting tooptimistic:

tahini is sesame seed... butter. Usually, yes, you can find it. Sometimes it's pricier at regular grocery stores than at a specialty store of health-food store.

Thank you..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured