Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How Hummus Helps You Lose Weight

Posted by   + Show Post

I stick to the traditional Arab recipe because thats the only way I have ever made it and the only way anyone in this house will eat it. Any other way they would say it's not hummus but hey what can you expect from a house full of Arabs lol. Although I am sure all the variations are good.

They say you can use a blender but I don't recomend it. It comes out allot better and is allot easier with a food processor.

Also don't forget to only use cold pressed extra virgin olive oil and no other kind of oil.

When it comes to having a healthy fridge, staying stocked with low-calorie, high-nutrient foods makes eating right an easy choice. That's why we love keeping ours stocked with hummus. Here's why the condiment classic can help you drop pounds.

1. It's a low-calorie substitute: Who needs mayonnaise (90 calories per tablespoon) when a dollop of hummus (27 calories per tablespoon for a basic hummus recipe) on your sandwich satisfies just as well? The creamy spread also works well to quiet dip cravings or as a salad dressing substitute to help you shave calories in your daily meals.
  2. It keeps you full: Made from chickpeas, hummus is a great source of protein and fiber, both of which will help keep you feeling full. Adding hummus to your favorite healthy meal will help give your body sustained energy for your workouts or will keep you from reaching for junk food when your stomach starts grumbling in the afternoon. In fact, a small study even found that people who ate more chickpeas in their diet ended up eating less low-fiber, high-fat foods — and ended up losing more weight because of it.
  3. It's easy to make: It's well known that homemade food helps you keep pounds in check, since you know exactly what's in your meals. Luckily, not only is making a batch of hummus simple to make — just throw your ingredients in a blender — but also, the versatile condiment lends itself to many different flavor profiles to keep your taste buds from becoming bored. Check out a few of our favorite healthy hummus recipes to get inspired!

http://www.fitsugar.com/Hummus-Weight-Loss-29860994

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:45 AM
Replies (21-30):
fireangel5
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Which recipe do you use?

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I hate mayo also but I do like pita chips and bell pepper strips in hummus. I've never really tried it as a condiment tho, only as a dip. Not sure I'd like it as a condiment. 

Quoting romalove:

I can't stand hummus but I love chick peas.  I think it's a texture thing.  I hate mayonnaise too.

krysstizzle
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Ugh, I loooove hummus. My damn blender broke when I last tried to make a batch, though. It definitely was not awesome. 

I buy chickpeas in bulk then cook a big crock pot. A large part of it goes to making hummus, the rest frozen to use later. 

TimetoMomUp
by Runt on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Yummy...hummus. 

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I eat it daily and love it.

Generica
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I've made hummus at home several times. yummmmy

I would like to try to make babaganoush sometime

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I'm not a big fan of hummus...or anything of that consistency. Texture thing.

I do like roasted chick peas though.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I'll try this.

My college -aged son loves hummus- he even eats it on raisin bread- EEWWW!

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Not a big hummus fan but I could eat a tub full of tum. 

muslimahpj
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Thanks! I love hummus

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN