Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How Hummus Helps You Lose Weight

Posted by   + Show Post

I stick to the traditional Arab recipe because thats the only way I have ever made it and the only way anyone in this house will eat it. Any other way they would say it's not hummus but hey what can you expect from a house full of Arabs lol. Although I am sure all the variations are good.

They say you can use a blender but I don't recomend it. It comes out allot better and is allot easier with a food processor.

Also don't forget to only use cold pressed extra virgin olive oil and no other kind of oil.

When it comes to having a healthy fridge, staying stocked with low-calorie, high-nutrient foods makes eating right an easy choice. That's why we love keeping ours stocked with hummus. Here's why the condiment classic can help you drop pounds.

1. It's a low-calorie substitute: Who needs mayonnaise (90 calories per tablespoon) when a dollop of hummus (27 calories per tablespoon for a basic hummus recipe) on your sandwich satisfies just as well? The creamy spread also works well to quiet dip cravings or as a salad dressing substitute to help you shave calories in your daily meals.
  2. It keeps you full: Made from chickpeas, hummus is a great source of protein and fiber, both of which will help keep you feeling full. Adding hummus to your favorite healthy meal will help give your body sustained energy for your workouts or will keep you from reaching for junk food when your stomach starts grumbling in the afternoon. In fact, a small study even found that people who ate more chickpeas in their diet ended up eating less low-fiber, high-fat foods — and ended up losing more weight because of it.
  3. It's easy to make: It's well known that homemade food helps you keep pounds in check, since you know exactly what's in your meals. Luckily, not only is making a batch of hummus simple to make — just throw your ingredients in a blender — but also, the versatile condiment lends itself to many different flavor profiles to keep your taste buds from becoming bored. Check out a few of our favorite healthy hummus recipes to get inspired!

http://www.fitsugar.com/Hummus-Weight-Loss-29860994

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:45 AM
Replies (41-50):
muslimah
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Quoting lga1965:

its delicious ! and the garlic ,sundried tomatoes make it even better. I buy it though. I havnt tried making it.

It's really good if you add jalapeno peppers but I love spicy

Roo1234
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I love hummus and so do our kids.  We probably have it two or three times a week in some way or another.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:48 PM
We love hummus here!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Generica
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting Generica:

I've made hummus at home several times. yummmmy

I would like to try to make babaganoush sometime

You make it the same way as the hummus but instead of chick peas you use egg plant

REALLY? Why am i making things so complicated then, i have a lebanese friend who used to roast the eggplant over the stove first, then do whatever with it. OMG that stuff was amazing!

muslimah
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Generica:

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting Generica:

I've made hummus at home several times. yummmmy

I would like to try to make babaganoush sometime

You make it the same way as the hummus but instead of chick peas you use egg plant

REALLY? Why am i making things so complicated then, i have a lebanese friend who used to roast the eggplant over the stove first, then do whatever with it. OMG that stuff was amazing!

Yes you do have to roast or cook the egg plant to soften it up.

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I'll try it again---the last time I had it it was way too garlicy. 

If you make it yourself you can always modify the garlic to your liking.

Yes indeed!  Simple too!  :)

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I make it all the time, we get tahini cheap at Holy Land grocery and I just use canned chick peas, lemon, garlic, and a good olive oil.  And of course salt.  It is so easy and we put it on everything.  I think its a great idea to sub it for butter or mayo on a sandwich, I am going to do that tomorrow, actually.  Yum.

Kmary
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Love hummus.  I eat it practically every day.

Generica
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I'm so mad...I must have loaned out my blender, came home with everything to make hummus because this post gave me a craving! UGH!!!

fivefikes
by New Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:20 PM
I brought hummus to work with me once. A lady I was working with said, "Eww... are you a vegetarian? !" Haha. No. She said only vegetarians like hummus. Lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)