Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tsarnaev family received $100G in benefits

Posted by   + Show Post

The Tsarnaev family, including the suspected terrorists and their parents, benefited from more than $100,000 in taxpayer-funded assistance — a bonanza ranging from cash and food stamps to Section 8 housing from 2002 to 2012, the Herald has learned.

“The breadth of the benefits the family was receiving was stunning,” said a person with knowledge of documents handed over to a legislative committee today.

The state has handed over more than 500 documents to the 11-member House Post Audit and Oversight Committee, which today met for the first time and plans to call in officials from the Department of Transitional Assistance to testify.

“I can assure members of the public that this committee will actively review every single piece of information we can find because clearly the public has a substantial right to know what benefits, if any, this family or individuals accused of some horrific crimes were receiving,” said state Rep. David Linsky (D-Natick), the committee’s chairman.

Linsky’s committee has requested documents from the DTA, the state’s Medicaid director and Health and Human Services Secretary John Polanowicz. But so far the committee has not released the records publicly, citing a privilege the DTA is asserting under state law.

Transitional assistance officials also told the Herald tonight that the agency was conducting its own investigation into whether Tamerlan Tsarnaev’s family ever notified the DTA about his extended trip to Russia, and has since expanded its probe to include a full history of the benefits received by the entire Tsarnaev family.

source

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Replies (41-50):
LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Then you are the one with the problem, not me...

And maybe America isn't the right country for you...there are plenty of other countries around the world who have no safety nets put in place for society's general welfare...maybe Africa would be a better fit...Somalia sounds right up your alley...

Quoting Billiejeens:

Doesn't affect me in the least.

Quoting LucyMom08:

I don't know about you, but I prefer to not have a hand in letting children starve and die in the streets...immigrants or not...

Quoting Billiejeens:

Either that or go back to the way the country was when the Statue was placed there.

Immigrants were "entitled"  to take care of themselves, back then.

Quoting LucyMom08:

So I guess we should knock down the Statue of Liberty and all migrate back to our countries of origin...

Quoting candlegal:

The older brother was on a watch list, he had no business getting benefits.

Only $10,000 a year and how many other people are getting "only" $10,000 a year that really shouldn't be.    It adds up fast.  If you can't support yourself when you come to this country, maybe you should go home.

Quoting sherry132:

While I fully understand people being angry about this, I wonder if anyone really understands how little money that is. Over a decade, they received an average of 10 grand a year.

I don't think that is an extreme amount. Also the only way we can prevent funding anyone who might be a terrorist someday is to take rights away from all Americans and let children go hungry.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
candlegal
by Judy on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Really most of these people don't have a problem getting jobs, they aren't as entitlement minded as the ones that have been living here for a while.   They are getting the foodstamps whether they need them or not.  How do you think the dems plan on winning elections.    Get everyone dependent on them.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Either that or go back to the way the country was when the Statue was placed there.

Quoting LucyMom08:

So I guess we should knock down the Statue of Liberty and all migrate back to our countries of origin...

Quoting candlegal:

Only $10,000 a year and how many other people are getting "only" $10,000 a year that really shouldn't be.    It adds up fast.  If you can't support yourself when you come to this country, maybe you should go home.

Quoting sherry132:

While I fully understand people being angry about this, I wonder if anyone really understands how little money that is. Over a decade, they received an average of 10 grand a year.

I don't think that is an extreme amount. Also the only way we can prevent funding anyone who might be a terrorist someday is to take rights away from all Americans and let children go hungry.

AlekD
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:13 PM
/facepalm

Was the government supposed to magically look into the future and see that they would someday be terrorists and so refuse them benefits?
tnmomofive
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I wish that Americans could open a business run it for five years tax exempt.Then have different family members take over and run it for another five again tax exempt and so on..man immigrants have it made here.

prommy
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:16 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting LucyMom08:

I don't know about you, but I prefer to not have a hand in letting children starve and die in the streets...immigrants or not...

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting sherry132:

I'd rather not have people from foreign countries  come here and bomb children in our streets.

tnmomofive
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Thats too much to ask..

Quoting prommy:

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting sherry132:

I'd rather not have people from foreign countries  come here and bomb children in our streets.

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Well, good thing Bush isn't our president anymore and this program has ended...that said, do you have anything else to back up your claim?

Quoting candlegal:

well, if you insist  There is plenty more where these came from.

Senator says food stamp partnership with Mexico 'pressuring' immigrants to enroll

USDA partnering with Mexico to boost food stamp participation

Feds Caught Promoting Welfare To Foreigners

Quoting LucyMom08:

Source?

Quoting candlegal:

Do you realize they are giving illegal immigrants benefits just for coming here?  They don't have to have children to get them.  Have you even seen the advertising they are doing in Mexico to get people to come here and live off of Americans?

Quoting sherry132:

Not until either 2010 or 2011. Not the entire time. As for the watch lists, there is no way that the welfare department would have that information, nor should they. There would be a lot of innoncent people being denied who are not guilty of anything but being poor.

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting sherry132:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lunarprancer
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Lol

Quoting Billiejeens:

I think that they will simply add on a wing to the United States Golfers Association building for him.

Quoting marmie41:

It was a Presidential Library. All former presidents have them. So will Obama when he is out of office.

Quoting -Celestial-:

The biggest terrorist are in congress. We pay them a hell of a lot more than that....Hell one just got their very own library....Go figure

With light and love

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:21 PM
2 moms liked this
Do you truly, honestly, expect that we can do this exact same thing to thousands of people around the world and not expect anger and/or reprisals? Are you that arrogant? There are crazy people out there. There are people out there who hate our country. There are even people HERE, with NO ties to foreign countries, that just want to hurt others. That won't change, no matter where you live and our welfare system has no bearing on that.

Quoting prommy:

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting Billiejeens:

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting sherry132:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Lovely.  So not only did we allow people known to the government to be trouble run around free, we also paid for them to do so.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured