Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*Edit* Updated OP with new photos! Do You Grow Any Of Your Own Food? Or would you like to?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:22 AM
  • 172 Replies
3 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

We often discuss how important it is to do this in threads. Sooooo do you? If so, do you have a farm, a yard or a patio garden? Can you share pics and tips?

Here is a pic of lettuce I am growing in up cycled milk jugs after I hung them on the fence:

This is my 4'x8' raised bed that I have surrounded with some recycled wooden crates and other pots:

Some stuff is left over from my winter garden...the onions, leeks, oregano, rosemary, lavender, parsley, sage, kale and chard are still growing strong. The dill and cilantro have bolted. I am waiting for them to go to seed so that I can harvest those and replant.

BTW, does anyone have any ideas of what to do with coriander since it seems I am going to have a lot of cilantro seeds?

I have just put in tomatoes, peppers, some other various herbs, lettuce, fava beans, soya beans (organic edamame), some other beans and potatoes (in the bags against the fence). There is also a fig tree back there, but the birds get all that bounty:(

I have some squash and cucumber seeds ready to sprout in my kitchen that I will put in when they are ready in the empty bags along the fence.

And that is my neighbor's grape vine that keeps crawling over into my side of the fence. Last year we got a few bunches of those on this side:)

Neon Washable Paint

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kitschy
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Cucumbers, jalapenos, basil, Rosemary, thyme, tomatoes, pepper, romaine and Simpson lettuce, and oregano.

SuperChicken
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:27 AM
2 moms liked this

I do a summer garden.  I'm still a bit away from planting here, but I usually do tomatoes, cucumbers, salads, and herbs.     I love summer basil and make enough pesto to last through the winter.    I would love an indoor herb garden for the winter, but haven't done it yet.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Mobile Photo

This is my second attempt at growing potatoes in bags. If at first you don't succeed....
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Mobile Photo

Yes, I grow a few things. I am in the process of building another raised bed and I am going to build a potato box. I plan on growing raspberrirs and blueberries and some other things.Right now, I have 8 leaf lettuce that we have been munching on for over a month, broccoli, onions, bell peppers, jalapeno, tomato, and a bunch of herbs. My rosemary is 3 years old, (that is the beautiful big bush in the corner) my sage is 2 years old( next to the rosemary) and in the planters I have basil, oregano, chocolate mint, thyme and parsley.
I also compost, which does wonders for my garden.
We don't have a farm but there is a small one up the street that grows and raises their food organically. I get my eggs, some meat, raw honey and a few produce there.
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:46 AM

What kind of container do you have this in? Are you doing the square foot garden?

Quoting Kitschy:

Cucumbers, jalapenos, basil, Rosemary, thyme, tomatoes, pepper, romaine and Simpson lettuce, and oregano.

Neon Washable Paint

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:47 AM

How big is your space? Do you start seeds indoors first?

Quoting SuperChicken:

I do a summer garden.  I'm still a bit away from planting here, but I usually do tomatoes, cucumbers, salads, and herbs.     I love summer basil and make enough pesto to last through the winter.    I would love an indoor herb garden for the winter, but haven't done it yet.

Neon Washable Paint

LilyofPhilly
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:48 AM
I would love to grow my own food. I haven't been very successful at it though.
desertlvn
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I'd like to, but I just don't know how to do it, seem to kill even houseplants, and am worried I'll invest a ton of money and it'll go to waste. I'm also in AZ's desert which can make growing a garden tough.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I overplant basil every year...in both my raised beds and in pots where I attempt to keep them alive all winter:).....

I LOVE that stuff! Basil tastes like summerhappy

Quoting SuperChicken:

Neon Washable Paint

im_not_trollin
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:50 AM

we grow a garden every year!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured