Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are atheists more generous than Christians?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:41 AM
  • 75 Replies

Homeless man
Atheists more generous than Christians? (Picture: Reddit)

Some religions may say change comes from within, but this homeless man has come up with an ingenious way of determining which faith produces the most generous devotees.

An image posted on Reddit shows the man with a sign bearing the message ‘which religion cares the most about the homeless?’ and nine begging bowls in front of him.

Each bowl is placed on top of a piece of paper bearing the words ‘Muslim’, ‘atheist’, ‘Jewish’, ‘Buddhist’, ‘spiritual’, ‘agnostic’, ‘pagan’, and ‘Christian.

Reddit user Ventachinkway, who uploaded the image, said: ‘When I passed him he proudly announced “The atheists are winning!”.’

Many commenters drew attention to the fact that the US, where the picture was taken, is predominantly Christian, while others pointed to the carabiner apparently donated by a Buddhist.

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:42 AM
2 moms liked this
Thats if all the people donating were telling the truth in regards to their faith (or lack thereof) and didn't bet against the other team.
SuperChicken
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:44 AM
7 moms liked this

Not a very scientific study, lol.  I mean, what if no Buddhists walk by?  

But I don't think any one belief system has a clincher on generosity.    I think that's an individual thing.   A person is going to be generous or not (or nice, honest, hard working, etc.) regardless of their religious path.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, I don't like this. It's wrong.
desertlvn
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:52 AM
2 moms liked this

That's a great way to make money! 

jllcali
by LoyalAndCute on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Not a scientific study by any means.
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Well that's creative. 

marmie41
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I would like to think charity is based on the compassion in a persons heart instead of what religion they do or don't practice.
..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Agree.

Quoting SuperChicken:

Not a very scientific study, lol.  I mean, what if no Buddhists walk by?  

But I don't think any one belief system has a clincher on generosity.    I think that's an individual thing.   A person is going to be generous or not (or nice, honest, hard working, etc.) regardless of their religious path.

catchup29
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a quick story.  When I was Christan, and was buying into all that came with it.  I was at church.  The pastor was talking about how he was driving and he saw a man holding a sign.  He wanted to give him money, but all he had in his pocket was a $20 bill.  So he decided to go and buy gum at a store, so he could go back and give the man money.  I was so pissed, I walked out, and never returned.  He couldn't afford to give him the 20?

DH and I always give to people with signs.  The other day we were at a light, a man holding a sign asked for $2.  I reached in the glove box and gave him $12.  He said, "hey, you accidently gave me a $10, DH said, no mistake man, have a great day".  The guy was almost in tears.  

Suzy_Sunshine
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Buddhist tend toward the practical.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured