Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

A$$*ole parents. I will never understand. Where has common courtesy and looking out for everyone around you gone?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:38 AM
  • 50 Replies

So this AM has been particularly nasty here. Extremely heavy rains, lightening, flooding, some even had hail. My 3 girls are in elementary and I drove them to School, and then ran to Walgreens. On my way back the Jr. High kids were getting ready for their buses to arrive. I noticed no less than 8 cars parked along side the entrance to my subdivision keeping their kids out of the weather until  the bus arrived. Then I noticed FOUR kids standing in this monsoon, with no rain gear, already soaked to the bone, and trying to get some cover under the huge oak tree by the bus stop. I was appalled. 

There are at least EIGHT parents in their cars watching these 4 poor kiddos get soaked and stand out in this kind of weather. Hello? We are not the lightening capital of the planet for nothing. 

I turned my car around and yelled to these kids to get in. The 3 boys immediately ran to the car and jumped in, the girls was hesitant, but I said, "Look kiddo, I know you don't know me, but you live right down the street from me, I have 3 girls and I wouldn't want them to stand out in this. You can call your mom or dad from the car if you'd like." She ran over. Then she started crying. She was soaked to the bone. Her mom and dad leave before she does, and now she was going to be wet all day. I told her to call her mom and ask if it was okay if I dropped her by her home, let her change, and that I would run her to school. 

Her mom got on the phone with me and thanked me profusely. She has to leave at 5:45 AM and her husband at 6AM for work, and the Jr. High kids don't get picked up till about 8:15 AM. Luckily her mom recognized who I was when I described my house and car. I felt so bad for both mom and daughter. I took her home and signed her into school. The boys didn't care they were wet and rode the bus, but I offered the same to them.

My rant?!? What in the hell were these other people thinking while watching these kids get soaked and stand in that kind of weather? How do you just SIT THERE?!? I would sure as heck hope if my kids were in that situation my neighbors would call them to the car. These kids have gone to school together for at least the last 8 months and met at this bus stop everyday since. They are not pure strangers like I am to them. 

What makes a parent sit there and do nothing for someone else's child who is in potential danger, and at the very least getting soaked and wind blown? What is WRONG with our society that this is accepted?!? 

Rant over, I have just been steaming about it since I got home and had to get it out. 

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:41 AM
4 moms liked this

Some people don't care, but the ones that do are afraid that if they do something nice, it will end up backfiring. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:41 AM

They do not want to be accused of having done something they did not. Or they simply do not care.

It's sad, really.

Good for you for helping out those kids.

x_Starr_x
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:43 AM
4 moms liked this
To much liabilitty issues I would assume its not the 50s anymore
honey27
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:44 AM
2 moms liked this
It was just rain and the way kidnapping and other things in this world is . Who wants to be responsible for someone elses kid. People are sue happy nowadays also. nobody has time for that.
DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:44 AM

A small part of me understands the accusations to an extent. However, this was not your typical situation where those things happen. The people that don't care? Ugh. No words. It's sad that anyone would think twice before helping out a group of kids, but worse that some just wouldn't bother. 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

They do not want to be accused of having done something they did not. Or they simply do not care.

It's sad, really.

Good for you for helping out those kids.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Um no. It wasn't just rain. It was massive lightening and high winds. It was dangerous. 

Quoting honey27:

It was just rain and the way kidnapping and other things in this world is . Who wants to be responsible for someone elses kid. People are sue happy nowadays also. nobody has time for that.

finnbar
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:46 AM
All part of the reason I prefer for the village to give up agitating for equal or greater responsibility for my child. Not everybody is naturally compassionate and as you noticed many are down right uncaring
punky3175
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:47 AM
That is ridiculous. You are a wonderful neighbor for taking care of them and allowing her to change. I'd definitely offer up my car for others but like the mother of the girl you picked up, I am out of my house by 5:40.

Yesterday I had to get gas and had both kids (teenagers) out with me since I was teaching my daughter how to do it. One of them says 'baby in a car.' I look over at the pump next to me and sure enough - there is a baby sitting in a car seat looking around. Then I realized there was no adult by the car. Just as I realized that, a woman walked up to the car (from the store.) It blows my mind that anyone would leave a baby in a car while they run into a store.
honey27
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Ok well good thing u came and saved them. Good for you.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Um no. It wasn't just rain. It was massive lightening and high winds. It was dangerous. 

Quoting honey27:

kidlover2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this
This.

Quoting honey27:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)