Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

A$$*ole parents. I will never understand. Where has common courtesy and looking out for everyone around you gone?

Posted by   + Show Post

So this AM has been particularly nasty here. Extremely heavy rains, lightening, flooding, some even had hail. My 3 girls are in elementary and I drove them to School, and then ran to Walgreens. On my way back the Jr. High kids were getting ready for their buses to arrive. I noticed no less than 8 cars parked along side the entrance to my subdivision keeping their kids out of the weather until  the bus arrived. Then I noticed FOUR kids standing in this monsoon, with no rain gear, already soaked to the bone, and trying to get some cover under the huge oak tree by the bus stop. I was appalled. 

There are at least EIGHT parents in their cars watching these 4 poor kiddos get soaked and stand out in this kind of weather. Hello? We are not the lightening capital of the planet for nothing. 

I turned my car around and yelled to these kids to get in. The 3 boys immediately ran to the car and jumped in, the girls was hesitant, but I said, "Look kiddo, I know you don't know me, but you live right down the street from me, I have 3 girls and I wouldn't want them to stand out in this. You can call your mom or dad from the car if you'd like." She ran over. Then she started crying. She was soaked to the bone. Her mom and dad leave before she does, and now she was going to be wet all day. I told her to call her mom and ask if it was okay if I dropped her by her home, let her change, and that I would run her to school. 

Her mom got on the phone with me and thanked me profusely. She has to leave at 5:45 AM and her husband at 6AM for work, and the Jr. High kids don't get picked up till about 8:15 AM. Luckily her mom recognized who I was when I described my house and car. I felt so bad for both mom and daughter. I took her home and signed her into school. The boys didn't care they were wet and rode the bus, but I offered the same to them.

My rant?!? What in the hell were these other people thinking while watching these kids get soaked and stand in that kind of weather? How do you just SIT THERE?!? I would sure as heck hope if my kids were in that situation my neighbors would call them to the car. These kids have gone to school together for at least the last 8 months and met at this bus stop everyday since. They are not pure strangers like I am to them. 

What makes a parent sit there and do nothing for someone else's child who is in potential danger, and at the very least getting soaked and wind blown? What is WRONG with our society that this is accepted?!? 

Rant over, I have just been steaming about it since I got home and had to get it out. 

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Replies (41-50):
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I feel the same way

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting cjsbmom:

Also, the kids' parents bear some responsiblity for not having their kids properly protected. Have they never heard of an umbrella? Raincoats?

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I wouldn't invite kids into my car unless I knew them and or they knew who I was. I think it's shitty that those kids were getting walloped by the rain. I applaud you for getting them out of that weather.

You can't make the kiddo take the rain coat or umbrella with them unless you are there.  

I understand the sentiment behind the leeriness of helping others.  Especially kids.  But for me, I am going to try.  If that means allowing them to use my phone to call a parent first, so be it.  If the kid turns out to be punk and takes off with my phone........I'll find him/her.  A chance I took.  But if that kiddo turns out to be a good kid who needed a bit of help, I am all for that.

I can't dismiss every one who may need a bit of help on the notion that the person is going to sue me, the person is an evil person.  I hope not every one looks at me like that.  

Momof2Stepof3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:10 PM

It is too much of a risk. I drive my kids to the bus stop and see this stuff all the time. I have a big enough truck to hold a good amount of kids but I wont because of the risk. I do not know these kids and from what my kids tell me the ones whoms parents don't wait at the bus stop are the trouble makers who have set of smoke bombs and stink bomb on the bus.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

So this AM has been particularly nasty here. Extremely heavy rains, lightening, flooding, some even had hail. My 3 girls are in elementary and I drove them to School, and then ran to Walgreens. On my way back the Jr. High kids were getting ready for their buses to arrive. I noticed no less than 8 cars parked along side the entrance to my subdivision keeping their kids out of the weather until  the bus arrived. Then I noticed FOUR kids standing in this monsoon, with no rain gear, already soaked to the bone, and trying to get some cover under the huge oak tree by the bus stop. I was appalled. 

There are at least EIGHT parents in their cars watching these 4 poor kiddos get soaked and stand out in this kind of weather. Hello? We are not the lightening capital of the planet for nothing. 

I turned my car around and yelled to these kids to get in. The 3 boys immediately ran to the car and jumped in, the girls was hesitant, but I said, "Look kiddo, I know you don't know me, but you live right down the street from me, I have 3 girls and I wouldn't want them to stand out in this. You can call your mom or dad from the car if you'd like." She ran over. Then she started crying. She was soaked to the bone. Her mom and dad leave before she does, and now she was going to be wet all day. I told her to call her mom and ask if it was okay if I dropped her by her home, let her change, and that I would run her to school. 

Her mom got on the phone with me and thanked me profusely. She has to leave at 5:45 AM and her husband at 6AM for work, and the Jr. High kids don't get picked up till about 8:15 AM. Luckily her mom recognized who I was when I described my house and car. I felt so bad for both mom and daughter. I took her home and signed her into school. The boys didn't care they were wet and rode the bus, but I offered the same to them.

My rant?!? What in the hell were these other people thinking while watching these kids get soaked and stand in that kind of weather? How do you just SIT THERE?!? I would sure as heck hope if my kids were in that situation my neighbors would call them to the car. These kids have gone to school together for at least the last 8 months and met at this bus stop everyday since. They are not pure strangers like I am to them. 

What makes a parent sit there and do nothing for someone else's child who is in potential danger, and at the very least getting soaked and wind blown? What is WRONG with our society that this is accepted?!? 

Rant over, I have just been steaming about it since I got home and had to get it out. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Quoting Momof2Stepof3:

It is too much of a risk. I drive my kids to the bus stop and see this stuff all the time. I have a big enough truck to hold a good amount of kids but I wont because of the risk. I do not know these kids and from what my kids tell me the ones whoms parents don't wait at the bus stop are the trouble makers who have set of smoke bombs and stink bomb on the bus.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

There are a few kids, that I know of, who are just little shits.  I won't let harm come to them, if I was witness to such, but I won't allow them near my daughter outside of school either.  I get what you are saying.

But overall, most kids can't be looked at as if they are going to be more of an issue, more of a problem, a risk, when they need some kind of help.

Momof2Stepof3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:15 PM

The ones I would help I worry what the parents would say. Just not the risk of some parent to go off their rocker thinking I ment harm when I was offering help you know.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Momof2Stepof3:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

There are a few kids, that I know of, who are just little shits.  I won't let harm come to them, if I was witness to such, but I won't allow them near my daughter outside of school either.  I get what you are saying.

But overall, most kids can't be looked at as if they are going to be more of an issue, more of a problem, a risk, when they need some kind of help.

VeggieRunnerMom
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:17 PM

And what if they had let them in their car and parent end up crazy?!?!

It is a scary world out there! 

romanceparty4u
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I would have been afraid to do this, and yes---giving them a phone to call home was appropriate. The fear is so many parents would have said you "tried to do something to their kid" then you have an investigation etc. It's not like it used to be. This is a problem society created---keeping the "helpers" from helping, in fear of potentially losing their own kids, jail time, criminal prosecution.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Very few kids like that. I agree. Even the ones I think are little shits possibly,  don't behave like that, they just have disrespectful mouthes. Either way? I am not leaving anyone's child out in this weather. The lightening here is no joke. 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Momof2Stepof3:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:55 PM
While I get the outrage at the other parents, these kids shouldn't get a free pass either. At the least they'd be, what 11? More than old enough to know how to dress for the weather.

We'd call them getting soaked natural consequences. Next time they'll probably wear a coat and bring an umbrella.

I'm not unsympathetic, but there is no way these kids didn't know before they left their homes that it was storming, they chose to dress inappropriately for the conditions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Honestly it wasn't the rain that infuriated me the most. It was the fact that no one thought to protect them from the lightening and winds. The lightening struck about 100 yards from their stop on the transformer for our area. .  It knocked out power here for quite a while, and the phone lines at my 3 girls school are still down. We have tree limbs down all over and roads closed due to flooding. I agree in teaching kids lessons when they choose their situation, but these kids did not. KWIM ?

Quoting canadianmom1974:

While I get the outrage at the other parents, these kids shouldn't get a free pass either. At the least they'd be, what 11? More than old enough to know how to dress for the weather.

We'd call them getting soaked natural consequences. Next time they'll probably wear a coat and bring an umbrella.

I'm not unsympathetic, but there is no way these kids didn't know before they left their homes that it was storming, they chose to dress inappropriately for the conditions.

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I'm with you.  I'm actually very lucky that someone else does that sort of thing for my boys.  DH drops them off at our daycare providers house in the morning and they have b'fast at her house and then catch the bus from there.  So DH and I aren't around, we are already at work.  My two boys share a bus stop with two other kids who's house is two lots down from the stop.  The other kids' dad is usually out there with them, playing games with his kids AND my kids, keeping them safe, making sure they follow the rules, etc.  When the weather is less then ideal, he lets all 4 kids stand inside the garage and watch for the bus from there so they don't get wet or snowed on or whatever is happening.  I have met the dad a couple times and thanked him immensely for taking care of my boys while taking care of his own kids.  He sees it as no big deal.  He is doing for his own kids either way so it's just common sense to him to do it for my kids as well.  I am very grateful for other parents like that.

The only thing I can think to say in defense of those 8 parents in cars doing nothing is that perhaps they were fearful that if they asked the kids into their car they would get accused of attempted abduction or something like that.  Stranger danger is soooo ingrained in our society and so many parents drill it into their childrens heads.  Most kids have been told to never ever get into someone else's car unless Mom or Dad specifically said it's ok.  So as a society we've created our own catch 22 in this situation.  It's horrible that non of those other parents did anything, but at the same time you can't entirely blame them either.  So how do we fix it?

I'm glad you were able to help those kids though.  I'm sure they are very grateful for your kindness.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN