Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you care about an athlete or other celeb's sexual orientation?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:55 AM
  • 79 Replies

It's been all over the news about NBA star Jason Collins coming out to the world as being gay, but I have to say, I don't really see the big deal?

Do you care whether a basketball player, or any other celebrity, is gay or straight or whatever?

[link in case you're wondering: http://gma.yahoo.com/nbas-collins-huge-weight-lifted-coming-112458410--abc-news-topstories.html]

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aislinn
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I do not use peoples sexual orientation to judge them as a person, so I really do not care. I am happy he is happy and I hope he shows others that the majority of us really do not care about who they choose to be with. We care about the person they are.

punky3175
by Punky on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:59 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't care about it but I'm glad he's coming out. It'll knock down more stereotypes and walls.
IandLoveandYou
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:00 AM
I don't care, personally.

It's nice to see that they are able to though, without fear.

I think it's also important for people who are struggling to come out and be open with their sexuality to see people in all areas of life.. Everyday people, athletes, actors, musicians, doctors, teachers, accountants, your neighbor... ANYONE can be gay, and that's okay.

I think that's important for people to see.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I really don't care what anyone's sexual orientation is..as long as everyone can love who they want with out persecution..

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:01 AM
4 moms liked this

This. I don't judge someone based on their sexual preferences. But I can see the value in him coming out. He's a role model, and if he can give confidence to even one fan who is struggling with their sexuality, then I say it was worth it. 

Quoting punky3175:

I don't care about it but I'm glad he's coming out. It'll knock down more stereotypes and walls.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:03 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't care who sleeps with who unless they are sleeping with my husband.

I get tired of the need people have to share their sex lives.  I think if everyone kept this part of their lives private we would all be happier.

honey27
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:04 AM
All I care about is if he's good at what he does.
Lizardannie1966
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:04 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't care about the sexual orientation of anyone, including celebrities and "star" athletes.

It's been predicted that more will follow suit. I hope so. I think we've grown enough as a society for these men and women to come forward, be honest and have us recognize that it's a GOOD thing and not something to be shunned or held in disdain.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Generally, no.

I do understand why some come forward, as this young man has done.  He felt he had to live his life in a way that was called for by others, not himself.  He has decided to stand up and tell people who he really is, who he has always really been.

I simply ignore that of which I don't care to hear about.  He is all over the news right now, the media is having a grand field day with his words.  Nothing new there.

I doubt I will pay much more attention.

But perhaps, some one, some where, is paying attention and instead of hiding who they are, or feeling ashamed of who they are, maybe they will find the strength to tell everyone else to f*** off and be who they are.  Maybe this man's coming out, so to speak, will help some one.  There is positive in that.

LuvmyAiden
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I don't get why it is a big deal at all. Who he screws makes me NO difference. Is he good at his sport? That is what matters. Is he a good role model who behaves and treats the fans well? That is what matters.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured