Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you care about an athlete or other celeb's sexual orientation?

Posted by   + Show Post

It's been all over the news about NBA star Jason Collins coming out to the world as being gay, but I have to say, I don't really see the big deal?

Do you care whether a basketball player, or any other celebrity, is gay or straight or whatever?

[link in case you're wondering: http://gma.yahoo.com/nbas-collins-huge-weight-lifted-coming-112458410--abc-news-topstories.html]

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Replies (11-20):
katy_kay08
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I don't generally care about athletes and their private lives. 

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Quoting punky3175:

I don't care about it but I'm glad he's coming out. It'll knock down more stereotypes and walls.

this

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:08 AM
I don't care about anyone's sexual orientation. I think it's sad that people feel they have to hide who they are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:08 AM
2 moms liked this
I care to the extent that I am vehemently opposed to those who truly do care, i.e. take issue with it, feel the need to ridicule, exclude, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Goodwoman614
by Satan on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM
2 moms liked this

Oh FFS...

is this what it's come to? 

Sh*t only matters as it pertains to how *you* feel about it? 

Sociology 101...but forget that. IMO, it's just plain obtuse to miss the point of this - why his coming out DOES MATTER. 

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:14 AM
3 moms liked this

Yes. And the reason is because Jason Collins is opening up another door for less hatred, less judgment and a better world.

MsDenuninani
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I don't care.

But I do want people to live honest lives, especially if you are in a position to be a role model. 

So while I don't care that he is gay, I do care that he came out.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:15 AM
This 100%

Quoting cjsbmom:

This. I don't judge someone based on their sexual preferences. But I can see the value in him coming out. He's a role model, and if he can give confidence to even one fan who is struggling with their sexuality, then I say it was worth it. 

Quoting punky3175:

I don't care about it but I'm glad he's coming out. It'll knock down more stereotypes and walls.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ultra_
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't care. I don't know why people have to "come out". I didn't have to come out as straight. It's not all over the news that someone is straight. I think as long as we keep treating it differently and making big deals, even in a positive way, it will never stop being a "weird" thing.

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Makes  no difference to me.  I've never even heard of him.  If he's a so-so ball player than of course announcing his sexual orientation will be great publicity fore  him given the climate of the nation right now regarding this issue.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)