Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you care about an athlete or other celeb's sexual orientation?

Posted by   + Show Post

It's been all over the news about NBA star Jason Collins coming out to the world as being gay, but I have to say, I don't really see the big deal?

Do you care whether a basketball player, or any other celebrity, is gay or straight or whatever?

[link in case you're wondering: http://gma.yahoo.com/nbas-collins-huge-weight-lifted-coming-112458410--abc-news-topstories.html]

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Replies (21-30):
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Think about what you just said, seriously. You didn't have to come out as "straight" because society is more accepting of straight people. 

Quoting Ultra_:

I don't care. I don't know why people have to "come out". I didn't have to come out as straight. It's not all over the news that someone is straight. I think as long as we keep treating it differently and making big deals, even in a positive way, it will never stop being a "weird" thing.

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I don't care at all.

Ultra_
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:00 PM

That's my point.

Quoting cjsbmom:

Think about what you just said, seriously. You didn't have to come out as "straight" because society is more accepting of straight people. 

Quoting Ultra_:

I don't care. I don't know why people have to "come out". I didn't have to come out as straight. It's not all over the news that someone is straight. I think as long as we keep treating it differently and making big deals, even in a positive way, it will never stop being a "weird" thing.

momto3B
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:24 PM

not remotely

two4one
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

DH and I were just discussing this. I don't give a crap who you decide to be intimate with. I only ask that you don't over do it in public, gay or hetero. My kids don't need to see you gropping each other's bodies.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:28 PM

They don't care about my sexual orientation, why should I care about theirs?

momto3B
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Not thinking that personal publicity is why he did it.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Makes  no difference to me.  I've never even heard of him.  If he's a so-so ball player than of course announcing his sexual orientation will be great publicity fore  him given the climate of the nation right now regarding this issue.

KimmyShaw
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I dont get why sexual orientation would even be discussed at all, its no ones business. Its like asking someone if they wear boxers or briefs...how the hell does that do anything for his career or make a difference on anything what so ever?

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:33 PM

How could it NOT be personal.  I don't care either way.   

Quoting momto3B:

Not thinking that personal publicity is why he did it.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Makes  no difference to me.  I've never even heard of him.  If he's a so-so ball player than of course announcing his sexual orientation will be great publicity fore  him given the climate of the nation right now regarding this issue.

TimetoMomUp
by Runt on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I just assume everyone is gay until they come out straight.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)