Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you care about an athlete or other celeb's sexual orientation?

Posted by   + Show Post

It's been all over the news about NBA star Jason Collins coming out to the world as being gay, but I have to say, I don't really see the big deal?

Do you care whether a basketball player, or any other celebrity, is gay or straight or whatever?

[link in case you're wondering: http://gma.yahoo.com/nbas-collins-huge-weight-lifted-coming-112458410--abc-news-topstories.html]

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Replies (31-40):
Donnah118
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Nope. None of my business.
Generica
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I don't really care, I hope some day they won't feel the need to come out and just be who they are.

Kmary
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I don't care and I honestly wish something like this didn't have to be newsworthy, know what I mean?  I wish it were so normal and such a non-issue that it wasn't cover-worthy, but alas, we're not there yet in our acceptance of homosexuality.  I don't care about it in the same way that I absolutely do not care if a celebrity has an affair or uses drugs.  I do not look to them for anything other than their profession:  are they a good athlete, are they a good singer/actor whatever?

That being said, if one adolescent struggling with his or her sexuality fiinds some peace or courage from his coming out, then that's wonderful!

LilyofPhilly
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:09 PM

He's breaking ground and paving the way for more people to come out and be who they really are. It's a huge deal!

LNLMommy
by Queen K on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't say that I care but I think with today's society and the whole push for equal treatment and discrimination/violence against homosexuality, I think it is great when an athlete or celebrity takes that courage to come out. Coming out (from what I've heard) is a big deal and takes a lot of courage to do. So many young and old people live a lie just to avoid the discrimination and hate that comes with being able to say "I'm gay". As heterosexuals, we take for granted that we can walk hand in hand with our spouse in public and it not be such a big deal. Most of the time, people won't stare at you and call you names. For someone who has yet to come out, they can't experience that. When being homosexual isn't such a huge taboo then I will stop caring...

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:23 PM
As the first openly gay male athlete still actively playing, he is breaking the same ground Jackie Robinson did. And that is why people care.

I don't care that he's gay, I care about the reasons behind it being such a big deal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

NO!  Who cares?  It has absolutely no relevance to his basketball playing skills. 

Keep your business to yourself.  That's my motto. 

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:44 PM

No...I don't care...but it may help some young children or teens to see that...

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I do not care, it really should be no big deal

angelachristine
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I really don't care one way or the other. Good for him for coming out though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN