Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you care about an athlete or other celeb's sexual orientation?

Posted by   + Show Post

It's been all over the news about NBA star Jason Collins coming out to the world as being gay, but I have to say, I don't really see the big deal?

Do you care whether a basketball player, or any other celebrity, is gay or straight or whatever?

[link in case you're wondering: http://gma.yahoo.com/nbas-collins-huge-weight-lifted-coming-112458410--abc-news-topstories.html]

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Replies (41-50):
momtoscott
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Personally, I don't care whether any human being is gay, straight, or attracted to tunafish salad.  I am delighted that more and more people are coming out, because I believe that is going to help lessen the social stigma of being gay.   I don't support outing closeted people, even when they are megachurch leaders preaching high and low against homosexuality.  Hoping over time that this is just going to fade into a nonissue.   

SWasson
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Nope.

pixie92
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:58 PM
im not sure why so many think this is so new. How many singers did we all grow up listening to that were gay, Elton John is the biggest and we all knew he was gay. It wasnt ever a big deal. Now i do hope this and all the others helps people understand its just who they are and i hope it helps others realize they can also be who they are. I guess to me its never been a big deal since i was always around gay people. I cant wait for the day that we dont need people to come out and that seeing them with someone they love wont be a big deal if they are of the same sex.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaggieO
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:04 PM

No, it does not matter to me what an athlete's sexual orientation is.  However, athletes are role models and I applaud Jason Collins coming out so that gay youth can have a role model and know that there is nothing wrong with them.

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:13 PM

This

Quoting Generica:

I don't really care, I hope some day they won't feel the need to come out and just be who they are.

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
onethentwins
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:16 PM

No. But I care if they feel that they cannot be honest about their sexuality because of peer pressure or fear of persecution. 

jjchick75
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I think it's important to have more men like him come out. In men's sports this is a big issue. It's much harder for them to come out than probably any other profession. I know my daughter was thrilled when Megan Rapinoe and her best friend Lori Lindsay came out. It's good for kids to see people like them thriving. These are people who are in role model positions and they can effect people. I think it's important in this age that people see it's okay to be who you are and I applaud this man for standing up and saying I am who I am and there is nothing wrong with that! So do I care? No. Do I think it's important? Yes, especially in this case. 

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I couldn't care less! Although I was a little sad to know that Anderson Cooper is gay. I had a little mom-crush on him. I still have the crush but my fantasy is even more so now that I know.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I don't care in the slightest. 

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I think it's kind of queer that they feel the need for everyone to know about his sexuality. Who cares? It doesn't make him a better or worse basketball player. We're not really interested in his private life, we're interested in the game.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured