Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you care about an athlete or other celeb's sexual orientation?

Posted by   + Show Post

It's been all over the news about NBA star Jason Collins coming out to the world as being gay, but I have to say, I don't really see the big deal?

Do you care whether a basketball player, or any other celebrity, is gay or straight or whatever?

[link in case you're wondering: http://gma.yahoo.com/nbas-collins-huge-weight-lifted-coming-112458410--abc-news-topstories.html]

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Replies (71-79):
tifbrown
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Normally, not really. But, this is a first and a bit step. For a long time it has been very frowned upon to be gay and in sports. The gay movement and gay acceptance is still in progress. This is still progress, someone had to take the first step. This time next year it wil be old news and there will be many more out athletes. But, it had to start somewhere.

aj_mom
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Who cares? Its there life let them live it, I as a christian believe it's wrong but I'm not going to hold it against them.

MelanieJK
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:08 PM

No,   I was surprised that this was a first of all players.     

I did a search to find out when this occurred in womens sports.     There's some ugly stuff going on in women's basketball.    They're using sexual orientation as a recruiting tool.     Apparently recruiters are telling straight girls that they don't want to go to another team (or any team in some cases) because the coaches are all lesbians and they favor lesbians.

Piskie
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM
I do.... Insofar as I wonder why so few in some domains are out. They must be there, and as a society we need to care because they shouldn't be living in fear.
jjchick75
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Of course there will be backlash. Why do you think it took him so long to come out? He knows there is going to be. Every person who comes out knows there is going to be backlash(Ellen lost her job, Chely Wright hasn't been asked to a single country music event since she came out, and so on). Shoot there was backlash when my daughter came out(not from us but from people in the community). But if nobody stands up for themselves and the people in similar situations nothing will ever change. Change happens one step at a time and regradless of how this turns out for him, this was a big step for men in sports and the little boys who look up to them. 

Quoting EireLass:

Well, you can believe that. That sounds like a nice story. Reality is, he will feel the backlash from this. And all these young people struggling with their own sexuality will continue to struggle. If they think hanging on the coat strings of a professional athlete will help them be something, they're in for a big letdown.

Quoting canadianmom1974:

Realistically this isn't even really about him. It's about the message it sends to people, particularly young people, who are struggling with their own sexuality. With the decision to be who they really are or hide because the fear or know they will be hated, ridiculed, abused.

It shouldn't be the big deal that it is, but the reality of the world we live in, is that being gay, being out, particularly in men's professional sports is still taboo. And like those who broke the race barrier, he and others like him are breaking down walls and stereotypes.

Quoting EireLass:

I think it's kind of queer that they feel the need for everyone to know about his sexuality. Who cares? It doesn't make him a better or worse basketball player. We're not really interested in his private life, we're interested in the game.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I'm with you on that. Wonder how many ladies in here know who Matt Shadle is. Or Kraig Vickers. Or Matty Bissonette. Run along and Google it.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Nope, sure don't...but I do care when the president ignores our heroes and celebrates our gays.

TCgirlatheart
by TC on May. 1, 2013 at 6:03 PM
This.

Quoting punky3175:

I don't care about it but I'm glad he's coming out. It'll knock down more stereotypes and walls.
thecoffeefairy
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:04 PM
I agree

Quoting IandLoveandYou:

I don't care, personally.

It's nice to see that they are able to though, without fear.

I think it's also important for people who are struggling to come out and be open with their sexuality to see people in all areas of life.. Everyday people, athletes, actors, musicians, doctors, teachers, accountants, your neighbor... ANYONE can be gay, and that's okay.

I think that's important for people to see.

PamR
by Pam on May. 1, 2013 at 6:05 PM

No

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN