Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Helicopter Parents

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:25 AM
  • 227 Replies
6 moms liked this

So, I usually laugh and poke the faddish parenting philosophies. I was listening to a local NPR station this morning and there were a few people in the studio just speaking casually about their experiences. One had a little brother that was going on his first professional job interview and they were talking about the three biggest things that cause a 'millenial' *that's the new buzzword for the newest college grads* to flunk a job interview. According to the conversation in the studio it was this:

#3: texting, smart phoning and social mediaing during said job interview (does this really surprise anyone?)

#2: Failure to address superiors as such.

#1: Parents of job applicants... as in parents who attend job interviews and interfere on behalf of precious Johnny or shining star Judy.

I was shocked. Literally shocked. After all my time on CM I really shouldn't be, but... REALLY? Has it really gone that far? Does anyone really think this is acceptable?

As an aside, I have a friend who teaches UPPER level college courses who says she has parents in her office, on her phone and in her email on a weekly basis asking, complaining and cajoling about their college age children... I'm talking grad students here.

Is this really something we as a society are moving toward as not only an accepted but encouraged form of parenting? It sort of feels that way when I read some of the stuff I read here...

Discuss.

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katy_kay08
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:28 AM
10 moms liked this

I've heard of it, there was an article last year about parents getting involved in negotiating employment contracts/salaries.   I just shook my head, I would immediately decline to hire anyong that needed mommy to that extent.  

http://www.npr.org/2012/02/06/146464665/helicopter-parents-hover-in-the-workplace

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/economy/employment/2007-04-23-helicopter-parents-usat_N.htm

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/37218735/ns/business-careers/t/parents-go-overboard-help-college-kid-get-job/#.UX_jgrVOTXQ

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:30 AM
16 moms liked this

And yet those same parents wonder why their children fail.

katy_kay08
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:30 AM
39 moms liked this

nah, these parents know why their kids fail...it's always someone else's fault.  

Quoting FromAtoZ:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:31 AM
8 moms liked this

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Ding, ding, ding.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:31 AM
5 moms liked this

I just shake my head.  I can't imagine.  I'm curious what these parents are thinking.

And, no, I wouldn't hire anyone whose parents contacted me in any way either.  That is just insane.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I HAVE heard of it and was appalled by it!

I even have a friend who is a professor and has complained about parents showing up at his office about their child.  It's ridiculous - the extent at which these parents go to and how far we've fallen as a society.  We actually DID have someone come in here with their parent for an interview.  Suffice it to say, they did not get the job.

coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this
True that!

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Yikes! Cut the cord!
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:36 AM
10 moms liked this

We have a young woman at work whose husband is always the one calling in for her, calling to see what her schedule is, stating it needs to be changed to meet their needs, etc.

I asked her why she does not call herself, that she needs to, and not 1/2 hour prior to her shift.  

Her husband likes to ensure she is taken care of and handles all things that could bring about stress for her, just like her parents used to do.

Huh?

I made it clear that she is to follow policy.  Her husband, or her parents, have nothing to do with it and calls from him will no longer be acceptable.  She can write down her own schedule, copy it, what ever, while at work.  For goodness sakes, grow up.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh no!

That is insane and ridiculous!

How did she react?

Quoting FromAtoZ:

We have a young woman at work whose husband is always the one calling in for her, calling to see what her schedule is, stating it needs to be changed to meet their needs, etc.

I asked her why she does not call herself, that she needs to, and not 1/2 hour prior to her shift.  

Her husband likes to ensure she is taken care of and handles all things that could bring about stress for her, just like her parents used to do.

Huh?

I made it clear that she is to follow policy.  Her husband, or her parents, have nothing to do with it and calls from him will no longer be acceptable.  She can write down her own schedule, copy it, what ever, while at work.  For goodness sakes, grow up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured