Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

So, I usually laugh and poke the faddish parenting philosophies. I was listening to a local NPR station this morning and there were a few people in the studio just speaking casually about their experiences. One had a little brother that was going on his first professional job interview and they were talking about the three biggest things that cause a 'millenial' *that's the new buzzword for the newest college grads* to flunk a job interview. According to the conversation in the studio it was this:

#3: texting, smart phoning and social mediaing during said job interview (does this really surprise anyone?)

#2: Failure to address superiors as such.

#1: Parents of job applicants... as in parents who attend job interviews and interfere on behalf of precious Johnny or shining star Judy.

I was shocked. Literally shocked. After all my time on CM I really shouldn't be, but... REALLY? Has it really gone that far? Does anyone really think this is acceptable?

As an aside, I have a friend who teaches UPPER level college courses who says she has parents in her office, on her phone and in her email on a weekly basis asking, complaining and cajoling about their college age children... I'm talking grad students here.

Is this really something we as a society are moving toward as not only an accepted but encouraged form of parenting? It sort of feels that way when I read some of the stuff I read here...

Discuss.

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Replies (181-190):
tambrathegreat
by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I've seen my boss have to deal with all of these and more.  Parents just don't know any better.  I say parents because the parents are to blame in these situations, not the kid.

notyurmama
by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I just graduated college and saw this type of thing far too much! I cannot believe a parent going to a job interview with or for a person.  How ridiculous!

clearlyme
by New Member on May. 1, 2013 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this
A bunch of kids growing up not knowing how to do the things they need to survive. That's just what this world needs. I'm sure the government loves that young people are being trained not to think and do for themselves.
BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Yep, hubby runs 3 warehouses, and has had plenty bring their parents. They haven't been hired. One had an error on his paycheck and brought his mommy to work. Lol

Insane. :p

DragonMother10
by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:21 PM
The only time my mom got involved with my work was when we worked for the same company. I had managers, 2 of them were in friendly terms and the other one was an ass and he would bug my mom about why I "wasn't always available," which was bullshit because I always was and he had his favorites. One time he called her because I didn't call for my schedule, this was due to me being in the hospital because I was miscarrying. Ass!
ACDC_fan
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Once my kid is college age, mommy and daddy won't meddle with her schooling any longer. she'll be an adult at that point. Not my territory.

shaynaj1980
by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Well when you couldn't be bothered to prepare your child for the real world, who else is going to deal with reality for them?

Stephw1110
by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:55 PM
DH had an employee that just wasn't working out. They'd given him a year or to prove he knew what he was doing. This kid was like 24 and still living at home. He would come in a complain that his mom hadn't made his lunch correct or complain that he didn't make enouch (making like $20 hr when the hourly workers were making $10) because he couldn't afford another motorcycle (he already had 2). Besides all of that, if he did something wrong and someone brought it up he'd either get defensive or cry. Well when they fired him (they actually laid him off), his mother came back in the next day wanting to know why and saying he was a good worker and completely throwing a fit while he sat in the back of the room. I mean really...what is wrong with these kids
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:01 PM
1 mom liked this
It's not a helicopter parent; it's an idiot!
Fluffy40
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Seriously?  My kids range from 5 to 23 and I would have never attended a job interview with them.  I also would never have interefered with anything that was "grown up" that they tried to do.  Even when they would get tickets I would make them go to the courthouse and pay the fine.  I would make them bring me a receipt when they lived in my house or drove a car that I was paying for or if they were on my insurance.  This was only to ensure that they did not get my car impounded or affect my car insurance.  I have had parents try to call into work sick for their children and unless thier child was in the hospital and sedated or something tragic had happened; the parent was quickly informed that the employee would need to call and that it was not acceptable for them to call for their child.  This generation is just appaling to me.  They feel like they are entitled and everything should be handed to them.  They have no sense of responsibility and acountability.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)