Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So, I usually laugh and poke the faddish parenting philosophies. I was listening to a local NPR station this morning and there were a few people in the studio just speaking casually about their experiences. One had a little brother that was going on his first professional job interview and they were talking about the three biggest things that cause a 'millenial' *that's the new buzzword for the newest college grads* to flunk a job interview. According to the conversation in the studio it was this:

#3: texting, smart phoning and social mediaing during said job interview (does this really surprise anyone?)

#2: Failure to address superiors as such.

#1: Parents of job applicants... as in parents who attend job interviews and interfere on behalf of precious Johnny or shining star Judy.

I was shocked. Literally shocked. After all my time on CM I really shouldn't be, but... REALLY? Has it really gone that far? Does anyone really think this is acceptable?

As an aside, I have a friend who teaches UPPER level college courses who says she has parents in her office, on her phone and in her email on a weekly basis asking, complaining and cajoling about their college age children... I'm talking grad students here.

Is this really something we as a society are moving toward as not only an accepted but encouraged form of parenting? It sort of feels that way when I read some of the stuff I read here...

Discuss.

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Replies (21-30):
AmberRose1122
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:10 PM
What in the hell?
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I'm disgusted, but not shocked.

What's to discuss? These kinds of parents are whack-a-do who set their kids up to fail if they can't be there to help them.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

We have a young woman at work whose husband is always the one calling in for her, calling to see what her schedule is, stating it needs to be changed to meet their needs, etc.

I asked her why she does not call herself, that she needs to, and not 1/2 hour prior to her shift.  

Her husband likes to ensure she is taken care of and handles all things that could bring about stress for her, just like her parents used to do.

Huh?

I made it clear that she is to follow policy.  Her husband, or her parents, have nothing to do with it and calls from him will no longer be acceptable.  She can write down her own schedule, copy it, what ever, while at work.  For goodness sakes, grow up.

I used to work for a bank.  One day, I was discussing the "calling in" policy with my supervisor, and she told me the story about when she had gotten officially reprimanded because her mother called in for her.  This was when Mount Saint Helens blew.  She and her family had been on a road trip when the mountain blew, and they were having trouble getting back home.   They eventually made it to a hotel, but couldn't get out for a couple of days, and the phone connection was spotty at best.  She was finally able to get ahold of her mom to let her know they were okay, but holed up at a motel, and could she please call the bank and let them know what was going on.  She got written up for that.  Yep.  Times sure have changed.

This is by far different from having a parent, or even a spouse, take care of your daily events, doing what a well equipped adult should be able to do themselves.

I would never write some one up for such circumstances.  

Oh, I agree.  I was shocked when she told me this, especially knowing all the people involved.  And this had been many years prior.  My point was just how drastically things have changed.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Parents call our house every semester. DH and I both teach college level.
Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Trust me.  That will not be me.  Even when I was in high school, I went on my job interviews on my own.  My kids will do the same.  Sure, my mom coached me at home before I left for the interview.  That is good parenting.  But my mom never ever came on an interview with me and I will never ever go on an interview with my kids.

As for the college thing, once I reached college I was on my own.  If a professor needed to be emailed or called, I was doing it myself.  If the admissions office needed to be contacted, I was the one contacting them.  My kids will do it the same way.  We are supposed to be continuously grooming our children so that once they graduate from high school, they can do ALL of this stuff on their own without Mommy or Daddy doing it for them.

These parents who are doing it for them are the biggest example of a PARENTING FAIL.

illegallyblonde
by Lawyerupbeeches on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:07 PM
Wowzers!

I just applied for a couple adjunct positions at a uni. Is this what I have to look forward to? DH is aDjunct too, I'll have to ask him if he's experienced this.
Lorik1969
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I saw a show about this a couple of years ago. It just blows my mind. My kids would go 50 shades of crazy on me if I called their college or their boss for any reason! What kind of company wouldn hire an adult who brings their mommy to the interview?
LDavis33
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I hired a local 17-year-old to babysit now and again for my son last summer.  But after I hired her, I ended up only dealing with her mother.  If I called to see if she was available, her mother would check her schedule.  If she had to cancel for one reason or another, her mother would call me.  It didn't take me long to decide to find a different babysitter.  If she isn't capable of picking up the phone and calling me, or checking her own schedule, then she isn't capable enough to watch my son.

It's scary that there are young adults out there who aren't capable of handling even the simplest of situations or responsibilities.

Lorik1969
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Since the student is an adult, can you legally discuss their situation?

Quoting NWP:

Parents call our house every semester. DH and I both teach college level.

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't stand helicopter parenting. I don't understand why people do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured