Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So, I usually laugh and poke the faddish parenting philosophies. I was listening to a local NPR station this morning and there were a few people in the studio just speaking casually about their experiences. One had a little brother that was going on his first professional job interview and they were talking about the three biggest things that cause a 'millenial' *that's the new buzzword for the newest college grads* to flunk a job interview. According to the conversation in the studio it was this:

#3: texting, smart phoning and social mediaing during said job interview (does this really surprise anyone?)

#2: Failure to address superiors as such.

#1: Parents of job applicants... as in parents who attend job interviews and interfere on behalf of precious Johnny or shining star Judy.

I was shocked. Literally shocked. After all my time on CM I really shouldn't be, but... REALLY? Has it really gone that far? Does anyone really think this is acceptable?

As an aside, I have a friend who teaches UPPER level college courses who says she has parents in her office, on her phone and in her email on a weekly basis asking, complaining and cajoling about their college age children... I'm talking grad students here.

Is this really something we as a society are moving toward as not only an accepted but encouraged form of parenting? It sort of feels that way when I read some of the stuff I read here...

Discuss.

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Replies (61-70):
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Amen, sister.  Preaching to the choir here!

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

It amazes me how `connected' people need these days.  What can anyone possibly have to text about 16hrs a day?  I see it in store checkout lanes, cars, banks schools, parks...!  Really?  I'm secure in my connections with people and don't need that incessant interaction, artificial at that.

The level of rudeness has skyrocketed with this, `I'm all important attitude', as well.  What happened to looking people in the eye when speaking, or using politeness when addressing people?  I'm very uncomfortable when young children address me by my first name.  I cringe inside because I never allowed my children to do such a thing.  Even when they were young children themselves with friends, those little people never called me by my first name.  It was always, "Mrs. Anthony's mom."   And another thing that I hate is when I answer our home phone and some starts talking sans the `hello'.  Really?  You just begin a sentence...

Quoting TranquilMind:

Yes, one of mine is in school, and I can't imagine calling either. 

The only one that really surprised me - but it shouldn't - is that people are texting or using the phone DURING job interviews?  Really?  That is just RUDE.  But then, everyone is so rude with their phones anyway, I suppose it is inevitable.  Moms ignoring their kids, with their faces glued to the screen.  People staring at their phone while driving!(I wish I could arrest everyone who takes out a phone while driving).  People yakking loudly wherever they are. 

Rude.

The unwillingness to address superiors with titles isn't that surprising, because lots of parents don't even teach their kids to call other parents Mr. and Mrs. anymore.  The overly familiar addressing of superiors would be a natural outcome of that. 

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

What?!  Oh my Lord, this is really sickening.  Two of our kids attend univeristy at the moment and I can not imagine calling, emailing or dropping in on one of their professors for anything EVER.  This type of parenting is forgien to me and I guess I am a parent of these `millanial' children.

And who in the hell does not turn off their cell phone during a job interview?  That is just rude!  It puts off an aura of superiority, sell-importance and all bad qualities.  Does it surprise me?  Yes and no.  And parents attending job interviews?!  For what?  YOU will not be working there.  Cut the cord! 

Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I am not surprised.  I see parents walking their children into school instead of dropping them off and a teacher leading them to their classroom.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

anchorgurl
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Don't even get me started on helicopter parents... 

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Wow. I am a helicopter parent in the sense that I sit outside and watch my children play and don't allow them to be on their own yet(8 and 6). I will intervene if a disagreement turns physical with my child and another.

I cannot in a million years see myself still helicoptering at age 18 or 22!! I've already stepped way back from where I used to be and have been encouraging the birds out of the nest to start flying on their own(within eye distance of course lol).

I know for children to become independent they need to be able to make choices on their own indepent of their parents.  If parents don't allow this to happen, they child may never gain independence.

PestPatti
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:56 PM

OH my I  couldn't imagine doing those things.   When I was an office manager for a chiropractor, the receptionist couldn't work on Tuesdays.   Her parents weren't home on Tuesdays and she had no one to wake her up.   Her parents tried to call for her a couple times.  I told them SHE was required to call. 

I did call in for my son once, it was the night my mother and sister were killed.   

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this

You're always James Bond.

Quoting romalove:

Sometimes I am a helicopter parent.

Sometimes I am James Bond.

Sometimes I am on vacation.

Depends on the kid, depends on the issue, and sometimes depends on the day. 

:-)

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Oh it is ridiculous.  I work in a busy concert space/ nightclub and you would freak out how many mommies and daddies call to tell me their precious lost their phone in a drunken uproar, and they try to hold us responsible for it.  Like why did we allow little Johnny or Janie to lose their phone?  I am just amazed.  If I was 21 or 22 years old I certainly wouldn't be telling my parents I was too drunk at a club to keep track of a $500 phone.  And if I did they would certainly tell me that life sure is a bitch and it sounds like I'm going to have to work some extra hours to get a new phone.

We did an 18+ concert where a mother called because her 18 year old daughter was "hot and crowded and couldn't see the performer" and wanted a refund for the tickets.  It was a general admission, sold out show.  And her daughter is a legal adult.  SMH

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:09 PM
That is a good point. We don't. They are never asking any question. Just making excuses and demanding special treatment.

Quoting Lorik1969:

Since the student is an adult, can you legally discuss their situation?

Quoting NWP:

Parents call our house every semester. DH and I both teach college level.

Debmomto2girls
by Debbie on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:11 PM
When my girls were in grades K-3, we had to walk them to the door. We were not allowed to drop off and I was excited for 4th grade... Lol

Quoting Mom2Just1:

I am not surprised.  I see parents walking their children into school instead of dropping them off and a teacher leading them to their classroom.  

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Oh and that would be the day when I horned in on a job interview, or a college course.  Oh hell no.  That is not doing your kids any favors.

Luckily I have never had a parent intervene when doing a job interview.  I just hired 5 or 6 people in the last week and they all showed up and interviewed by themselves, thank God, and no one texted.  They were all reasonably mature (ages 19-22)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured