Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

working "under the table"

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:26 PM
  • 160 Replies
1 mom liked this
Why do people get so up in arms when someone is working for cash? I can think of many instances where I don't consider it a big deal. If you babysit a friend's kids and get paid, you're technically working under the table.

I bring in a nice income, untaxed. I don't "work", but I still earn money.

Whoooo cares??

I had a friend go off about me earning money that is not taxed. After bragging about getting back more than she paid in. Ooookkkkkk
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:28 PM
5 moms liked this
It's just dishonest.
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I think it's a taboo topic. I don't believe that most people claim all of their earnings and pay taxes on every cent. I'm sure SOME do. meh It's one of those things I wouldn't talk about with others.

I'll tell you what I had a hard time wrapping my mind around...a couple we know completely renovated their home inside and out and then filed for bankruptcy and got to keep their cars and the house but not pay back a cent they charged to 'rebuild' their home.

kidlover2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:33 PM
2 moms liked this
It usually helps out the employer, not the employee... For the life of me I don't understand why anyone who works full time at a "legitimate" job such as a cook would ever work under the table. They deserve their fate.
AMBG825
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:33 PM
3 moms liked this

Because you should be paying taxes on that money.

x_Starr_x
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Dont bother me some people canr afford the tax and need the money
Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:36 PM
2 moms liked this
I guess it is taboo. I figure the 66,000 we paid in taxes for last year is sufficient. What I make in my hobby is my business. Lol

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I think it's a taboo topic. I don't believe that most people claim all of their earnings and pay taxes on every cent. I'm sure SOME do. meh It's one of those things I wouldn't talk about with others.

I'll tell you what I had a hard time wrapping my mind around...a couple we know completely renovated their home inside and out and then filed for bankruptcy and got to keep their cars and the house but not pay back a cent they charged to 'rebuild' their home.

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:38 PM
I don't make enough for it to make a difference. We already pay 45%.

Quoting AMBG825:

Because you should be paying taxes on that money.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Jack_Squat:

I guess it is taboo. I figure the 66,000 we paid in taxes for last year is sufficient. What I make in my hobby is my business. Lol

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

We've sold our fair share of unwanted items on craigslist and ebay as well as at tag sales and we've yet to claim any of that as income. I give people who want to bemoan crap like that the 'whoop-dee-doo' finger.

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

That bottom part is just WRONG. To me, if they planned it that way, it is the same as stealing. Note, I said IF they planned it.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Quoting DSamuels:

That bottom part is just WRONG. To me, if they planned it that way, it is the same as stealing. Note, I said IF they planned it.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

they planned it and bragged about it. yuck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN