Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why do people get so up in arms when someone is working for cash? I can think of many instances where I don't consider it a big deal. If you babysit a friend's kids and get paid, you're technically working under the table.

I bring in a nice income, untaxed. I don't "work", but I still earn money.

Whoooo cares??

I had a friend go off about me earning money that is not taxed. After bragging about getting back more than she paid in. Ooookkkkkk
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Replies (11-20):
aandt1999
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Because it is lying. Imagine if people got as upset over that as they do about food stamps. They complain where their taxes are going all the time, but don't think twice about someone who doesn't pay them at all. Weird.
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Jack_Squat:

I guess it is taboo. I figure the 66,000 we paid in taxes for last year is sufficient. What I make in my hobby is my business. Lol

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I think it's a taboo topic. I don't believe that most people claim all of their earnings and pay taxes on every cent. I'm sure SOME do. meh It's one of those things I wouldn't talk about with others.

I'll tell you what I had a hard time wrapping my mind around...a couple we know completely renovated their home inside and out and then filed for bankruptcy and got to keep their cars and the house but not pay back a cent they charged to 'rebuild' their home.

We've sold our fair share of unwanted items on craigslist and ebay as well as at tag sales and we've yet to claim any of that as income. I give people who want to bemoan crap like that the 'whoop-dee-doo' finger.

I don't consider that income. Now if you are totally supporting yourself by working "under the table" then yes, that is wrong. I've sold some jewelry and gold and silver things I inherited from my parents, that no one in our family wanted and I didn't feel any attachment to, to a jewelry store. I don't consider that income either.

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I think people get upset because of the tax issue. Babysitting and things like that aren't even worth putting down. They wouldn't likely get a 1099 for it anyway. We as a business give 1099's for those who work in certain jobs and aren't employed with us. But, once they hit the $600 mark, generally employ them. Otherwise, it's looked at too closely by the IRS.

however, like my housekeeper, I don't give her a 1099, she makes way more from me than 600 year, but I'm a private person. I'm not required to issue it. It's up to her to report it. It doesn't matter to me if she does or not.

There was a time when I had my newborns, and needed a lot of help. I did all the background screening, ciminal record checks, payroll, etc. That was a royal pain. Glad I don't need to do that anymore.

AMBG825
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:47 PM

If you're making so little that you wouldn't be taxed on it, that's not quite the same thing. There is a minimum income to claim taxes on. Last year my oldest only worked forr 2 months and didn't make enough income to file a return. (although he did get a W-2) http://www.efile.com/tax/do-i-need-to-file-a-tax-return/ is a link to the minimum income requirements.

Now if you're getting paid under the table and are over those income requirements, then you should be claiming it to file taxes.

Quoting Jack_Squat:

I don't make enough for it to make a difference. We already pay 45%.

Quoting AMBG825:

Because you should be paying taxes on that money.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Some things qualify as income, some don't.  Working "under the table" saves the employer and employee money but it is illegal.  People are required to pay taxes on what is legally defined as income.

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting DSamuels:

That bottom part is just WRONG. To me, if they planned it that way, it is the same as stealing. Note, I said IF they planned it.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I think it's a taboo topic. I don't believe that most people claim all of their earnings and pay taxes on every cent. I'm sure SOME do. meh It's one of those things I wouldn't talk about with others.

I'll tell you what I had a hard time wrapping my mind around...a couple we know completely renovated their home inside and out and then filed for bankruptcy and got to keep their cars and the house but not pay back a cent they charged to 'rebuild' their home.

they planned it and bragged about it. yuck

Yuck is right! throwing up

momtoscott
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:51 PM

I report everything and pay my estimated quarterly taxes on it, and I keep records and receipts.  I have been mostly self-employed for more than 20 years.  If the IRS comes a-knockin, I hope I'll be okay.  Regarding what other people do, if they want to take the risk of getting into trouble over their taxes at some point, that's up to them.   

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Some apparently don't know the difference. It's annoying.

Quoting AMBG825:

If you're making so little that you wouldn't be taxed on it, that's not quite the same thing. There is a minimum income to claim taxes on. Last year my oldest only worked forr 2 months and didn't make enough income to file a return. (although he did get a W-2) http://www.efile.com/tax/do-i-need-to-file-a-tax-return/ is a link to the minimum income requirements.

Now if you're getting paid under the table and are over those income requirements, then you should be claiming it to file taxes.

Quoting Jack_Squat:

I don't make enough for it to make a difference. We already pay 45%.

Quoting AMBG825:

Because you should be paying taxes on that money.

MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Because they dont pay tons in taxes like everyone else.
Mama110981
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Y does this matter to u? Ur making money right? Providing for ur family? Screw anyone else who bitches abt how much u make and if ur on the books or not. Its no ones business but urs
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured