Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
Why do people get so up in arms when someone is working for cash? I can think of many instances where I don't consider it a big deal. If you babysit a friend's kids and get paid, you're technically working under the table.

I bring in a nice income, untaxed. I don't "work", but I still earn money.

Whoooo cares??

I had a friend go off about me earning money that is not taxed. After bragging about getting back more than she paid in. Ooookkkkkk
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Replies (21-30):
Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Here's the thing...we do pay taxes. A lot of taxes. Last year was a slow year and we paid $66, 000 in taxes. Why does what I make even matter, especially to someone who has never paid a dime of taxes in their life?

Quoting MrsImperfect:

Because they dont pay tons in taxes like everyone else.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Did you know that every penny you earn has been double taxed? Your employer pays taxes on what you earn, and so do you.

Quoting AMBG825:

Because you should be paying taxes on that money.

SecularMomma
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:53 PM

My husband sometimes does freelance gigs and gets paid cash. But he always claims it as earned income when we file taxes. One year, he had made an extra $2,000 in gigs. Which made a huge difference in our taxes. Instead of getting $2,000 back we came out even. He couldn't believe when our accountant suggested we not report it! LOL Oh the temptation! For me at least. For him, it wasn't an option.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this

you arent contributing to society and its infrastructure....you dont provide the same as everyone else working.  

I really dont care what you do.  I do judge those who grab money without paying taxes....but also have limits to which I place judgement.  

1.  if its a small job that helps you buy little extras because your full time job is basically letting you survive....and

2.  A one off job 

If you are not contributing to society like the rest of the taxpayers who work hard...then you are a loser.

And as a side note....you DONT get more back than you paid in.

You pay your taxes and may be eligible to receive all that you paid in depending on your deductions.

so you can NEVER get more back than you pay in.

If your refund is bigger than the taxes you paid in...its because of the entitlements that are applicable to you and everyone else.

So you pay nothing in and can STILL be entitled to money from the govt if you are applicable to the entitlements given by the govt.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:58 PM

how?

Quoting kailu1835:

Did you know that every penny you earn has been double taxed? Your employer pays taxes on what you earn, and so do you.

Quoting AMBG825:

Naturewoman4
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:03 AM

For me, that's the difference between honest people & dishonest people.  I lend a friend over 1K dollars.  I did have them sign an I.O.U.  When I realized that they weren't going to pay me back, I had to take them to Small Claims.  I just wanted them to pay me a min. amount each mo.  Which they didn't.  Anyway, I yet to see any money from them.  I heard excuse after excuse.  I heard from them, that the guy I loaned the money to, was working 'under the table'.  Frustrates me because I don't know how I'm going to get paid back, since he does work 'under the table'.  Angrys me that there are people like this in the world. 

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Employers pay an employee tax. When I nannies full time it was all above board, and my employers used on online resource that immediately took out what they owed from their bank account, and took out taxes from my paycheck. I made 16 bucks an hour, but they were paying closer to 18 an hour to employ me.

Quoting turtle68:

how?

Quoting kailu1835:

Quoting AMBG825:

BestestMom11
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Yeah, but when you bought that crap new, you paid tax on it.

You don't have to pay tax on it again.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting Jack_Squat:

I guess it is taboo. I figure the 66,000 we paid in taxes for last year is sufficient. What I make in my hobby is my business. Lol

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

I think it's a taboo topic. I don't believe that most people claim all of their earnings and pay taxes on every cent. I'm sure SOME do. meh It's one of those things I wouldn't talk about with others.

I'll tell you what I had a hard time wrapping my mind around...a couple we know completely renovated their home inside and out and then filed for bankruptcy and got to keep their cars and the house but not pay back a cent they charged to 'rebuild' their home.

We've sold our fair share of unwanted items on craigslist and ebay as well as at tag sales and we've yet to claim any of that as income. I give people who want to bemoan crap like that the 'whoop-dee-doo' finger.

Tag3.0
by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:12 AM

bECAUSE THE RICH USE YOUR SAME ARGUEMENT AND YET WE GET ALL UP IN ARMS ABOUT THEM NOT CLAIMING EVERY CENT.

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Entitlements lol. It's a handout.

We pay in more than most and don't receive govt handouts.

Quoting turtle68:

you arent contributing to society and its infrastructure....you dont provide the same as everyone else working.  

I really dont care what you do.  I do judge those who grab money without paying taxes....but also have limits to which I place judgement.  

1.  if its a small job that helps you buy little extras because your full time job is basically letting you survive....and

2.  A one off job 

If you are not contributing to society like the rest of the taxpayers who work hard...then you are a loser.

And as a side note....you DONT get more back than you paid in.

You pay your taxes and may be eligible to receive all that you paid in depending on your deductions.

so you can NEVER get more back than you pay in.

If your refund is bigger than the taxes you paid in...its because of the entitlements that are applicable to you and everyone else.

So you pay nothing in and can STILL be entitled to money from the govt if you are applicable to the entitlements given by the govt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)