Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
Why do people get so up in arms when someone is working for cash? I can think of many instances where I don't consider it a big deal. If you babysit a friend's kids and get paid, you're technically working under the table.

I bring in a nice income, untaxed. I don't "work", but I still earn money.

Whoooo cares??

I had a friend go off about me earning money that is not taxed. After bragging about getting back more than she paid in. Ooookkkkkk
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Replies (31-40):
talia-mom
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:26 AM
I have ethics.
Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:29 AM
I do, too.

They are called, 'we already pay almost 45% of our income in taxes, and ya ain't gettin' no more' ethics.

Quoting talia-mom:

I have ethics.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on May. 1, 2013 at 12:30 AM

you say handout...I call them entitlements.  The way people word things makes the nation misinformed and greedy.

I paid over 80K one year and never moaned about what others received...On paper it was incredibly high...in reality, I got a 30K refund, free healthcare, private healthcare and 210K in my bank....  What the hell was I going to do with a 800 dollar entitlement?

just crying foul for the sake of it is again another loser attitude.  JMO of course.

Quoting Jack_Squat:

Entitlements lol. It's a handout.

We pay in more than most and don't receive govt handouts.

Quoting turtle68:

you arent contributing to society and its infrastructure....you dont provide the same as everyone else working.  

I really dont care what you do.  I do judge those who grab money without paying taxes....but also have limits to which I place judgement.  

1.  if its a small job that helps you buy little extras because your full time job is basically letting you survive....and

2.  A one off job 

If you are not contributing to society like the rest of the taxpayers who work hard...then you are a loser.

And as a side note....you DONT get more back than you paid in.

You pay your taxes and may be eligible to receive all that you paid in depending on your deductions.

so you can NEVER get more back than you pay in.

If your refund is bigger than the taxes you paid in...its because of the entitlements that are applicable to you and everyone else.

So you pay nothing in and can STILL be entitled to money from the govt if you are applicable to the entitlements given by the govt.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Nope. Not paying on what you are earning is unethical.

Quoting Jack_Squat:

I do, too.

They are called, 'we already pay almost 45% of our income in taxes, and ya ain't gettin' no more' ethics.

Quoting talia-mom:

I have ethics.

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Ah, well, we don't get those perks, either. We pay out of pocket for everything so I guess, by your thinking, we paid a helluva lot more.

I honestly don't care what people pay in or get out. I do care, though, when I'm chewed out for not claiming my cash winnings by someone who has never paid a dime in.

Quoting turtle68:

you say handout...I call them entitlements.  The way people word things makes the nation misinformed and greedy.

I paid over 80K one year and never moaned about what others received...On paper it was incredibly high...in reality, I got a 30K refund, free healthcare, private healthcare and 210K in my bank....  What the hell was I going to do with a 800 dollar entitlement?

just crying foul for the sake of it is again another loser attitude.  JMO of course.

Quoting Jack_Squat:

Entitlements lol. It's a handout.

We pay in more than most and don't receive govt handouts.

Quoting turtle68:

you arent contributing to society and its infrastructure....you dont provide the same as everyone else working.  

I really dont care what you do.  I do judge those who grab money without paying taxes....but also have limits to which I place judgement.  

1.  if its a small job that helps you buy little extras because your full time job is basically letting you survive....and

2.  A one off job 

If you are not contributing to society like the rest of the taxpayers who work hard...then you are a loser.

And as a side note....you DONT get more back than you paid in.

You pay your taxes and may be eligible to receive all that you paid in depending on your deductions.

so you can NEVER get more back than you pay in.

If your refund is bigger than the taxes you paid in...its because of the entitlements that are applicable to you and everyone else.

So you pay nothing in and can STILL be entitled to money from the govt if you are applicable to the entitlements given by the govt.

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Not my problem. Technically, it's winnings, not earnings.

It also doesn't matter because the amount I earn is less than the required amount to claim it.

Guess it's not so unethical :)

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Jack_Squat:

I do, too.

Quoting talia-mom:

I have ethics.

talia-mom
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Winnings are taxed as well.

Justify it all you want. It is still illegal and unethical.

Quoting Jack_Squat:

Not my problem. Technically, it's winnings, not earnings.

It also doesn't matter because the amount I earn is less than the required amount to claim it.

Guess it's not so unethical :)

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Jack_Squat:

I do, too.

Quoting talia-mom:

I have ethics.

cammibear
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this
45% is ridiculous, I don't care how much you make.

Quoting Jack_Squat:

I do, too.

Quoting talia-mom:

I have ethics.

foxfroggy
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:45 AM

It's called "tax evasion" and it's a federal crime. Perhaps you should care. So should anyone else who earns money and does pay their fair share. You are stealing from everyone, not just the taxman.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on May. 1, 2013 at 1:00 AM

I paid out of pocket for private health insurance...its part and parcel of being in the high income bracket.  I paid for free heathcare for everyone as well.

I dont get perks other than high deductions applicable to a job that earns a lot.  Your job would of been able to do the same...anyone who pretends they cant get large deductions in a high income job is lying.  

Maybe you should explain yourself better in your OP.  Nowhere does it say that the person who was bragging wasnt working or hasnt worked...ever.

I too dont give a crap if you pay or dont...like I said, I judge for the reasons I gave...IMO you are a high bracket income earner who pays a lot in taxes...having a hobby and not paying taxes is up to you.  I dont think you need the money so its more like a "ha I can do as I please...they get enough already" mentality....meanwhile losers like my friend who has never worked a day in their life gets a handout and has the audacity to chew me out...wtf?!.

Is she a SAHM whose husband works and she is collecting child entitlements?  A disabled person collecting a benefit? Or is she a single mom with her hand constantly out, got knocked up at 17 and never had a job ever?  The former, well she is entitled to chew you out...she is doing everything legally, it matters nought if she has worked or not, hubby is doing that for her family. The later....well yep not in a position to verbally judge your situation.

Either way...she is doing what is legal...you are not.

Quoting Jack_Squat:

Ah, well, we don't get those perks, either. We pay out of pocket for everything so I guess, by your thinking, we paid a helluva lot more.

I honestly don't care what people pay in or get out. I do care, though, when I'm chewed out for not claiming my cash winnings by someone who has never paid a dime in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)