Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Paul Ryan SUPPORTS adoption by gay couples, BUT...

He doesn't support gay marriage.

wait, what?

Paul Ryan Reverses Stance On Gay Adoption

link and video

The Huffington Post  |  By Posted:   |  Updated: 05/01/2013 9:29 am EDT

Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said Monday during a town hall event in Janesville, Wis., that he has changed his position on gay couples adopting children, WKOW reports.

An audience member at the event asked Ryan why he doesn't support same-sex marriage. Ryan said that while he continues to believe marriage should only be between a man and a woman, he now regrets voting in 1999 to ban same-sex couples in the District of Columbia from adopting children.

"Adoption, I’d vote differently these days. That was I think a vote I took in my first term, 1999 or 2000," Ryan said. "I do believe that if there are children who are orphans who do not have a loving person or couple, I think if a person wants to love and raise a child they ought to be able to do that. Period. I would vote that way."

Ryan, who served as 2012 Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's running mate, added that he had changed his position on same-sex adoptions years ago.

Click over to ThinkProgress to watch the video of Ryan's answer.

Romney's stance on the issue has come under scrutiny as well. In an interview with Fox News last May, Romney said he believed it was "fine" for gay couples to adopt children, an opinion he also held while serving as governor of Massachusetts. However, he later appeared to walk back his support, saying that he would only "acknowledge the fact that gay adoption is legal in all states but one."

by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Replies (11-20):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 2, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I agree.  I changed my stance on gay adoption a year or so ago, but still do not support SSM. 

Children are in need of homes, if a gay couple wants to love them and give them what they need, I think the child should have that need filled, regardless. 

I'm happy to know that you've changed your stance

Megan11587
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Just because one votes republican doesn't mean that 1. We don't think that our politicians are full of shit and say asinine things; or 2. We agree with every stance.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

GOP supporters, where are you?

candlegal
by Judy on May. 2, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Was Obama for gay marriage before he was against it or against it before he was for it.  He is pandering for votes  just as Obama does.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 2, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Quoting candlegal:

Was Obama for gay marriage before he was against it or against it before he was for it.  He is pandering for votes  just as Obama does.

I don't think he's pandering for votes.

Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Quoting tonijustine:

It must be hard for politicians. They are stuck with taking a stand and not allowed to change their minds. If they do, they are flip floppers, currying fair or speaking out of both sides of their mouth. If they grow up and change their opinions because of experience or new data or somebody making a convincing argument, they are stuck.

i mean, how many of us can say we have the same view of the world we did 14 years ago?

I don't find this problematic. If there are kids who need a family and the couple chosen is gay and will give thm a good home and love, that is good for the child. I don't have a problem with same sex Mrriage, but I can acknowledge that they are two separate issues and supporting one does not necessitate supporting the other.

I agree with everything you said.  I have a question though regarding your last statement.  I know that in this day and age, there are a lot of parents raising children together but the parents are not married.  However, couldn't it be argued that the ideal situation for the children is for their parents to be married to each other?  If so, shouldn't that ideal be supported by our laws?  Therefore it doesn't make sense for the law to support gay couples adopting but not support gay couples getting married.  See what I'm saying?  That's where the issue is in my mind.

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I don't think this is "any more news" than that.  That was big news!  This is just happening now, and Obama's stance happened months ago.  I agree with you about the politics of it though. 

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

I am not sure why this is any more news than when Obama flipped on his stance for gay marriage. Maybe neither really flipped. Maybe they both felt the way they do and did not come out and say it for political reasons until the felt they could. 

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:19 AM

This is exactly the issue a PP brought up on the first page of this thread (tonijustine I think?) Politicians "aren't allowed" to change their minds or evolve their veiwpoints without being accused of "pandering for votes", like they're all just robots without thoughts or feelings of their own.  Have you changed your opinion on anything in the last 15 years?  I sure as hell have.  Why aren't politicians allowed to evolve without all the accusations?  Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't trust politicians very much at all, but I do recognize that they are human and DO have their own thoughts and feelings sometimes.  

Quoting candlegal:

fireangel5
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 1:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Ok, let me get this straight. He's an asshole if he doesn't support gay adoption but he's an asshole because he has changed and now supports it? Alright then.  I guess all of the people moaning how the republican party needs to "evolve" when it comes to gays, can't be satisfied. So bad if you don't support gays bad if you do support gays. So its really not about supporting gays, its just the fact that one is a republican. Gotcha, thanks for catching me up. 

fireangel5
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Umm, I think Barry voted against gay marriage but now he's for it. Guess that makes him an asshole who will say anything to get votes. Cool beans, 

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/05/09/11623172-the-evolution-of-obamas-stance-on-gay-marriage?lite

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 2, 2013 at 4:38 PM

have mercy. I've learned a lot in this thread.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN