Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Paul Ryan SUPPORTS adoption by gay couples, BUT...

He doesn't support gay marriage.

wait, what?

Paul Ryan Reverses Stance On Gay Adoption

link and video

The Huffington Post  |  By Posted:   |  Updated: 05/01/2013 9:29 am EDT

Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said Monday during a town hall event in Janesville, Wis., that he has changed his position on gay couples adopting children, WKOW reports.

An audience member at the event asked Ryan why he doesn't support same-sex marriage. Ryan said that while he continues to believe marriage should only be between a man and a woman, he now regrets voting in 1999 to ban same-sex couples in the District of Columbia from adopting children.

"Adoption, I’d vote differently these days. That was I think a vote I took in my first term, 1999 or 2000," Ryan said. "I do believe that if there are children who are orphans who do not have a loving person or couple, I think if a person wants to love and raise a child they ought to be able to do that. Period. I would vote that way."

Ryan, who served as 2012 Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's running mate, added that he had changed his position on same-sex adoptions years ago.

Click over to ThinkProgress to watch the video of Ryan's answer.

Romney's stance on the issue has come under scrutiny as well. In an interview with Fox News last May, Romney said he believed it was "fine" for gay couples to adopt children, an opinion he also held while serving as governor of Massachusetts. However, he later appeared to walk back his support, saying that he would only "acknowledge the fact that gay adoption is legal in all states but one."

by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Replies (21-30):
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I agree.  I changed my stance on gay adoption a year or so ago, but still do not support SSM. 

Children are in need of homes, if a gay couple wants to love them and give them what they need, I think the child should have that need filled, regardless. 

I'm happy to know that you've changed your stance

Kids need love, even if there's sin in the home---there's sin in any home. 

TimetoMomUp
by Runt on May. 2, 2013 at 7:36 PM

I guess I don't understand this...

It seems that reason that most people are against homosexual marriage is because it redefines the current definition of marriage and "destroys the family."  So what do they think homosexual adoption does? Wouldn't that be another assault on family?

(Please understand that I am thinking out loud here and trying to understand the point of view of gay marriage not being okay but homosexuals adopting being okay. These do not represent my personal points of view.)

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 2, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Quoting TimetoMomUp:

I guess I don't understand this...

It seems that reason that most people are against homosexual marriage is because it redefines the current definition of marriage and "destroys the family."  So what do they think homosexual adoption does? Wouldn't that be another assault on family?

(Please understand that I am thinking out loud here and trying to understand the point of view of gay marriage not being okay but homosexuals adopting being okay. These do not represent my personal points of view.)

I play devils advocate for the sake of coversation frequently. That was my  question as well.

PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 9:35 PM

They're going to spontaneous combust with all the flip/floping that they're doing now that they realize that their alignment with the fundies may cost them votes in their next election.

sillytime
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Hippocrates! :0( why is it ok for them to adopt but not marry? Stupid lizard brains! Love is love period! "God" should not be in government. These people are just plain nuts!
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2013 at 9:47 PM
So gay couples can give children homes just not the support and safety of a marriage because you need to feel righteous for the children but self righteous about homosexuality.

Gotcha. How very Christian of you.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I agree.  I changed my stance on gay adoption a year or so ago, but still do not support SSM. 

Children are in need of homes, if a gay couple wants to love them and give them what they need, I think the child should have that need filled, regardless. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Quoting Momniscient:

So gay couples can give children homes just not the support and safety of a marriage because you need to feel righteous for the children but self righteous about homosexuality.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

They need a piece of paper that says "Marriage" on it to do that? 

A legal union giving them every right a straight couple has is fine. 

You and your Christian card, Mandi.  It's really getting old. 

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2013 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol.
But you told me the other day I wasn't Christian. Just trying to figure it out.

And yes dear poodles. People need a piece of paper for all the legal protections FOR THE KIDS of marriage. You seem like you want to be seen as loving the children while denying their parents the ability to protect them fully.

Interesting little conundrum that is. I'll take my brand of Christianity that you've tried to deny me anyday over yours that seems to feel the kids are only important if you don't have to share the WORD marriage.

Do you really think a word is that important Poods?

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

They need a piece of paper that says "Marriage" on it to do that? 

A legal union giving them every right a straight couple has is fine. 

You and your Christian card, Mandi.  It's really getting old. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Quoting Momniscient:

Lol.

There you go lying again, mandi.  I said I didn't know how YOU call yourself a Christian.  I never said you weren't. 

If you claim it, then, good.  But you sure don't talk or behave as one.  You are a very mean and nasty girl.  I've never met a "Christian" like you. 

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:12 PM
And I think you are far from a good or even decent judge of who does an does not act worthy of being a Christian. Unfortunately I've met many christians like you.
And if you claim to have not said I'm not Christian then why did you put Christian in quotations when referring to me? Lol

I don't care if you think I'm nasty. I don't even care if you think I'm Christian enough. On that front you have zero authority and even less credibility.

But tell me poods since you didn't answer the question:

Is a WORD that important that you knowingly violate the safety of children by denying their parents the right to get married?

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Momniscient:

Lol.

There you go lying again, mandi.  I said I didn't know how YOU call yourself a Christian.  I never said you weren't. 

If you claim it, then, good.  But you sure don't talk or behave as one.  You are a very mean and nasty girl.  I've never met a "Christian" like you. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN