Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Paul Ryan SUPPORTS adoption by gay couples, BUT...

He doesn't support gay marriage.

wait, what?

Paul Ryan Reverses Stance On Gay Adoption

link and video

The Huffington Post  |  By Posted:   |  Updated: 05/01/2013 9:29 am EDT

Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said Monday during a town hall event in Janesville, Wis., that he has changed his position on gay couples adopting children, WKOW reports.

An audience member at the event asked Ryan why he doesn't support same-sex marriage. Ryan said that while he continues to believe marriage should only be between a man and a woman, he now regrets voting in 1999 to ban same-sex couples in the District of Columbia from adopting children.

"Adoption, I’d vote differently these days. That was I think a vote I took in my first term, 1999 or 2000," Ryan said. "I do believe that if there are children who are orphans who do not have a loving person or couple, I think if a person wants to love and raise a child they ought to be able to do that. Period. I would vote that way."

Ryan, who served as 2012 Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's running mate, added that he had changed his position on same-sex adoptions years ago.

Click over to ThinkProgress to watch the video of Ryan's answer.

Romney's stance on the issue has come under scrutiny as well. In an interview with Fox News last May, Romney said he believed it was "fine" for gay couples to adopt children, an opinion he also held while serving as governor of Massachusetts. However, he later appeared to walk back his support, saying that he would only "acknowledge the fact that gay adoption is legal in all states but one."

by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Replies (41-50):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 2, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Quoting JCB911:
That way they have the same rights, and the word "marriage" is left to those who find it important. 

what does this mean? Because as I read it, it appears to me that the word marriage is only significant to the person who uses it, but only CERTAIN people get to do it and use the word.

PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Obama won TWICE.  Ryan couldn't even win his party's nomination. The bottom line, the republican party needs to come to the center if they want to remain a viable party.  They need to appeal to minorities ALL minorities, including gays.  They can't continue to pander to the religious white people because they are becoming the minority and the minorities -- mainly the hispanics are going to become the majority. 

Quoting fireangel5:

A flip flop is a flip flop.

If it's pandering for one, its pandering for all

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Ryan is a self-righteous asshole.  Obama came to the conclusion that gays should be able to marry. Ryan just feels that they should just be able to adopt but still not ok to marry.

Quoting fireangel5:

What about when Obama did it? I suppose it was ok then. 

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

They're going to spontaneous combust with all the flip/floping that they're doing now that they realize that their alignment with the fundies may cost them votes in their next election.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 2, 2013 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Momniscient:

LOL!
You respond to tell me how you don't like me but won't answer the questions!

Is that the 'Christian' way?

So there we have it. Poods won't answer because she thinks the word is more important than the children's well being.

Is that also the Christian way? Interesting.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Momniscient:

And I think you are far from a good or even decent judge of who does an does not act worthy of being a Christian. Unfortunately I've met many christians like you.
And if you claim to have not said I'm not Christian then why did you put Christian in quotations when referring to me? Lol

I don't care if you think I'm nasty. I don't even care if you think I'm Christian enough. On that front you have zero authority and even less credibility.

But tell me poods since you didn't answer the question:

Is a WORD that important that you knowingly violate the safety of children by denying their parents the right to get married?

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Momniscient:

Lol.
But you told me the other day I wasn't Christian. Just trying to figure it out.

There you go lying again, mandi.  I said I didn't know how YOU call yourself a Christian.  I never said you weren't. 

If you claim it, then, good.  But you sure don't talk or behave as one.  You are a very mean and nasty girl.  I've never met a "Christian" like you. 

I try so hard to just ignore you.  Why should I answer your questions?  You're just too snotty for me, Mandi.  I'd rather not talk to you at all. 

My responses to the subject have been made enough times in the past.  Go look for them. 

Are you blind or just really ignorant?

Did I say gays should NOT adopt?  Give them all rights of a marriage, just don't call iit marriage. "Marriage" is between one man, one woman. 

Good grief, woman!

Done with you. 

I don't see what's so sacred about the word 'marriage'. What's the point of having the same benefits but having to call it something different because the 'marriage' happens to be between two people of the same sex.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 2, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Obama won TWICE.  Ryan couldn't even win his party's nomination.

true and hilarious all at once

talia-mom
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 11:05 PM
How did I miss his run for the nomimation? I never saw anything about it.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Yeah, he was Romney's running mate. HE LOST!!!

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

talia-mom
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this
You are so confused. He never ran for a Presidential nomination. He did actually win the nomination for VP.

Maybe you need some sleep because you don't know what you are discussing.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

fireangel5
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Doesnt change the fact that if one changes his mind on an issue is a pandering flip flop, it is the same thing across the board. What's good for one is good for all. 

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Obama won TWICE.  Ryan couldn't even win his party's nomination. The bottom line, the republican party needs to come to the center if they want to remain a viable party.  They need to appeal to minorities ALL minorities, including gays.  They can't continue to pander to the religious white people because they are becoming the minority and the minorities -- mainly the hispanics are going to become the majority. 

Quoting fireangel5:

A flip flop is a flip flop.

If it's pandering for one, its pandering for all

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Ryan is a self-righteous asshole.  Obama came to the conclusion that gays should be able to marry. Ryan just feels that they should just be able to adopt but still not ok to marry.

Quoting fireangel5:

What about when Obama did it? I suppose it was ok then. 

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

They're going to spontaneous combust with all the flip/floping that they're doing now that they realize that their alignment with the fundies may cost them votes in their next election.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Facts are trivial lol

Quoting talia-mom:

You are so confused. He never ran for a Presidential nomination. He did actually win the nomination for VP.

Maybe you need some sleep because you don't know what you are discussing.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Quoting talia-mom:

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Momniscient:

LOL!
You respond to tell me how you don't like me but won't answer the questions!

Is that the 'Christian' way?

So there we have it. Poods won't answer because she thinks the word is more important than the children's well being.

Is that also the Christian way? Interesting.

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Momniscient:

And I think you are far from a good or even decent judge of who does an does not act worthy of being a Christian. Unfortunately I've met many christians like you.
And if you claim to have not said I'm not Christian then why did you put Christian in quotations when referring to me? Lol

I don't care if you think I'm nasty. I don't even care if you think I'm Christian enough. On that front you have zero authority and even less credibility.

But tell me poods since you didn't answer the question:

Is a WORD that important that you knowingly violate the safety of children by denying their parents the right to get married?

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Momniscient:

Lol.
But you told me the other day I wasn't Christian. Just trying to figure it out.

There you go lying again, mandi.  I said I didn't know how YOU call yourself a Christian.  I never said you weren't. 

If you claim it, then, good.  But you sure don't talk or behave as one.  You are a very mean and nasty girl.  I've never met a "Christian" like you. 

I try so hard to just ignore you.  Why should I answer your questions?  You're just too snotty for me, Mandi.  I'd rather not talk to you at all. 

My responses to the subject have been made enough times in the past.  Go look for them. 

Are you blind or just really ignorant?

Did I say gays should NOT adopt?  Give them all rights of a marriage, just don't call iit marriage. "Marriage" is between one man, one woman. 

Good grief, woman!

Done with you. 

I don't see what's so sacred about the word 'marriage'. What's the point of having the same benefits but having to call it something different because the 'marriage' happens to be between two people of the same sex.

I think the point is that to some... marriage is better and a legal contract is 'less than'

Meaning the adopted children of gay parents are less than the children of married parents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN