Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

12-Year-Old Injured After School Principal Paddles Him

Posted by   + Show Post

12-Year-Old Dalton Day Injured After School Principal Paddles Him

article image
By Evan Bleier, Tue, April 30, 2013

The parents of a Texas middle school student believe their son was injured when he was struck with a paddle by his school's principal.

Dalton Day's parents say their son suffered a dislocated tailbone and severe bruising after the principal of Nottingham Middle School in Dayton, Texas, paddled him.

Lisa Day, the boy's mother, says she got a phone call on Friday about her son misbehaving and shoving another student. Lisa gave her permission for the paddling to take place. She wasn't prepared for the results.

"I'm devastated," said Lisa. "He pulled his pants down and what I saw was the paddle board across his bottom." Lisa says that her son was bleeding and that she has photos and x-rays to prove the damage that was done to her son's backside.

Parents have the right grant their permission for corporal punishment at the school.

"I gave him permission," she said. "I expected maybe a red bottom but not this excessive." Lisa said that Dalton had been paddled before and that the results were much less severe. "The same man popped Dalton once before but it was fine," she said.

According to 12-year-old Dalton, the principal used a paddle made out of wood wrapped in blue electrical tape. The young man thinks the paddle was about an inch think and 18 inches long. Dalton says he was hit hard, Click 2 Houston reported.

"I looked back and he was standing in a baseball stance," said Dalton. "He swung with both hands."

"Dayton ISD is doing an investigation into a parent's report about their 6th grade student receiving corporal punishment at school. They allege that the pops were excessive in nature and that their child was injured. As soon as the investigation is complete, more information will be available," Dayton Independent School District said in a statement.

Sources: Click 2 Houston, ABC 13

by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Replies (71-78):
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Quoting SuperChicken:

Honestly,  if you're stupid enough to grant someone else permission to beat your child with a wooden bat I think YOU are responsible for any consequences.     

Agree
www.cafemom.com/group/116692
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:33 AM

There is a difference between a paddling and a beating.  This should be investigated by the police.  FTR, I support corporate punishment in schools.  Schools didn't have nearly much violence when it was the norm.

LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Did I say that the school had no blame? No, but I said the parents shared some of the blame. The school took it out of hand for sure but the parents could have done many other things including not give permission to do the paddling. Again, I said it went beyond paddling and was in fact abuse. Again, it's not an open and shut situation. I'm sorry you think the parents have zero responsibility here, but I think they do. And I'm sorry you put yourself in a bad situation then yes, bad things can happen. Does that mean the crime is your fault? No but you leave yourself open to it. Do you lock your doors at night? Most people do but still don't. So if you don't do share any of the blame when someone just walks in and takes your stuff? Your insurance company and the police will think so. So do you lock your doors? Yes, it's preventative. If mom was concerned about her kid being paddled she could have come to the school. Yes she had the expectation that they wouldn't beat her child, I do not disagree on that. Is the school mostly to blame, yes. But imo, mom has some blame here to, she could always have said no. But I don't think we'll agree on this so I'll agree to disagree.

Quoting gilbertgrl627:

I disagree completely that the parents share some of the blame. That's like saying a rape victim shares some of the blame.

If you give someone permission to discipline your child, whether it's with a spanking or time-out or even taking the toy away, if the caregiver takes it to an extreme (beating them, locking them in a basement for hours, or throwing their toy away) would you believe you shared some of the blame? Absolutely not. Because you wouldn't have told them it was ok if you knew they would take it to that extreme.

She gave permission for her child to be paddled, not beaten. While I don't agree at all with using a paddle to discipline (my parents used a paddle on me) and will NEVER give permission for my child to be physically disciplined while in school, I don't believe that the mom shares the blame in this.

The principal crossed a line and needs to be punished. Parents can have their child(ren) taken away for something like this. The principal should be held to the same (if not higher) standard.

Quoting LilliesValley:

I don't disagree that it went beyond paddling. But the parents have some responsibility here since they gave permission. Maybe they should have gone to the school. I just don't think it's an open and shut situation. Breaking the tail bone is definitely abuse and excessive but a bruise not so much. I bruise easily from just bumping into something. I just think they'll have an up hill battle.

Quoting cjsbmom:

When it damages the tailbone and leaves bruising, that's not paddling, it's abuse. At least in the state of PA it is. 

Quoting LilliesValley:

Ehhhh... they gave their permission so. My fil was a teacher and he drilled holes in his paddle so it could cut through the air faster. I just don't know how the parents are going to win. Its excessive of course but its not like there's a rpm rating on the paddle.

gilbertgrl627
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. 

I never said that you said the school had no blame, and I'm sorry if that's what you took it to mean. I just believe that the parents are not responsible (even partly) for the principal's extreme actions. Don't feel sorry for what I think. It is what it is. It's just my opinion. You never really answered my question, though: if someone was watching your child, and you said it was ok to put them in time-out if they misbehaved, and they locked your child in a basement for hours....would you think you are/were partly to blame?

Now, after reading another comment, it turns out there is more to this story than meets to eye, and it's possible that this severe paddling never took place. I'll have to read more about it, but I still stand by my opinion. 

Quoting LilliesValley:

Did I say that the school had no blame? No, but I said the parents shared some of the blame. The school took it out of hand for sure but the parents could have done many other things including not give permission to do the paddling. Again, I said it went beyond paddling and was in fact abuse. Again, it's not an open and shut situation. I'm sorry you think the parents have zero responsibility here, but I think they do. And I'm sorry you put yourself in a bad situation then yes, bad things can happen. Does that mean the crime is your fault? No but you leave yourself open to it. Do you lock your doors at night? Most people do but still don't. So if you don't do share any of the blame when someone just walks in and takes your stuff? Your insurance company and the police will think so. So do you lock your doors? Yes, it's preventative. If mom was concerned about her kid being paddled she could have come to the school. Yes she had the expectation that they wouldn't beat her child, I do not disagree on that. Is the school mostly to blame, yes. But imo, mom has some blame here to, she could always have said no. But I don't think we'll agree on this so I'll agree to disagree.

Quoting gilbertgrl627:

I disagree completely that the parents share some of the blame. That's like saying a rape victim shares some of the blame.

If you give someone permission to discipline your child, whether it's with a spanking or time-out or even taking the toy away, if the caregiver takes it to an extreme (beating them, locking them in a basement for hours, or throwing their toy away) would you believe you shared some of the blame? Absolutely not. Because you wouldn't have told them it was ok if you knew they would take it to that extreme.

She gave permission for her child to be paddled, not beaten. While I don't agree at all with using a paddle to discipline (my parents used a paddle on me) and will NEVER give permission for my child to be physically disciplined while in school, I don't believe that the mom shares the blame in this.

The principal crossed a line and needs to be punished. Parents can have their child(ren) taken away for something like this. The principal should be held to the same (if not higher) standard.

Quoting LilliesValley:

I don't disagree that it went beyond paddling. But the parents have some responsibility here since they gave permission. Maybe they should have gone to the school. I just don't think it's an open and shut situation. Breaking the tail bone is definitely abuse and excessive but a bruise not so much. I bruise easily from just bumping into something. I just think they'll have an up hill battle.

Quoting cjsbmom:

When it damages the tailbone and leaves bruising, that's not paddling, it's abuse. At least in the state of PA it is. 

Quoting LilliesValley:

Ehhhh... they gave their permission so. My fil was a teacher and he drilled holes in his paddle so it could cut through the air faster. I just don't know how the parents are going to win. Its excessive of course but its not like there's a rpm rating on the paddle.

LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 2:47 PM

To answer your question, yes I would feel partly to blame because I chose to put my child in that person's care. Obviously my judgement was lacking in some way and I would take my share of the responsibility in making a poor decision. I would seriously re evaluate why I thought their judgement was good enough to watch my child and why it wasn't. they would still be ultimately responsible because they did the action, but just like someone not locking their doors to their home or garage I would be partially to blame.

Quoting gilbertgrl627:

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. 

I never said that you said the school had no blame, and I'm sorry if that's what you took it to mean. I just believe that the parents are not responsible (even partly) for the principal's extreme actions. Don't feel sorry for what I think. It is what it is. It's just my opinion. You never really answered my question, though: if someone was watching your child, and you said it was ok to put them in time-out if they misbehaved, and they locked your child in a basement for hours....would you think you are/were partly to blame?

Now, after reading another comment, it turns out there is more to this story than meets to eye, and it's possible that this severe paddling never took place. I'll have to read more about it, but I still stand by my opinion. 

Quoting LilliesValley:

Quoting gilbertgrl627:

Quoting LilliesValley:

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting LilliesValley:

AnnieGoolaheey
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 2:50 PM
I dont understand why anyone would give another person permission to hit their child.
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 3:00 PM
I do not think the schools should be physically disciplining students. I know that I would never grant them permission to spank my kids (yes I do spank but it's last resort and never leaving marks or breaking their tail bones- OMG..). The school principal at my Jr. High wanted my mom to grant them permission to spank me; she wouldn't. It's just not cool when other people punish your kid at all. I get pissed when people yell at my kids or discipline them in anyway. That is my job; obviously if I am not available then do time outs, corner, or quiet time, etc... but never ever hit my kid wow...
DawnPratt23
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 3:09 PM
I thought I smelled a rat, teachers are mandated reporters and would be bound to report the excessive hits.

Quoting Roxygurl:

This was posted on the comments section of the link posted:

This is a very simple story about a mom who got some new clothes, fixed her hair, and cried to a sucker reporter in an attempt to get some money from the school. Shame on the reporter and station for running the story and shame on anyone who accepts it at face value. This is not the first accusation the neglectful-at-best mother has made against school personnel. This is not her first rodeo with the police or CPS. She knows them both well. The reporter failed to mention that the boy, Dalton Day was at a baseball game both Friday and Sat. after the so-called excessive paddling. He slid into bases during both games, and it wasn't until after these games that the boy was taken to the doctors. What was really comical was when the inexperienced and less than discerning reporter held up the large plank wrapped in painter's tape to give the viewers a visual as to what the paddle looked like. That was really a joke! Here is the million dollar question...Will this reporter come and sit in her news van outside our school from 2-11 and let the viewers know when the principal has been cleared of the false charges. I've always loved following Dominiqe on this station, but no more. Girl-your station sucks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)