Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Worker Dies in Blender at Oregon Meat Plant

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:23 PM
  • 14 Replies

Worker Dies in Blender at Oregon Meat Plant

An Oregon cleaning worker was killed when he fell into a running blender at a meat-processing plant, the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office said.

Deputy Nate Thompson identified the worker as Hugo Avalos-Chanon, 41, of Portland. He worked for DCS Sanitation Management, a cleaning company that has a contract with Interstate Meat Distributors.

Paramedics and sheriff's deputies were called around 11:45 p.m. Friday, after Avalos-Chanon was found entangled in the machinery. Another worker had hit an emergency stop button, but it was too late, Thompson said. Firefighters returned the following day to dismantle the machine and remove the body.

Dr. Cliff Young, a deputy state medical examiner, said Avalos-Chanon died from "blunt-force injuries and chopping wounds."

Thompson said investigators believe the death is a "tragic industrial accident" and do not suspect foul play.

Investigators with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration are examining evidence, interviewing witnesses and reviewing records.

An OSHA report on the plant from last fall found machines were not locked during the tear-down process for cleaning. The inspector said an "unexpected start-up of the machine" could cause injuries.

Melanie Mesaros, Oregon OSHA spokeswoman, cautioned against jumping to conclusions.

"It's way too early to say," Mesaros told The Oregonian (http://is.gd/kLeEjV ). "We're just starting our investigation, which could take six months."

Darrin Hoy, president of Interstate Meat Distributors, said company officials are cooperating fully with investigators, but Avalos-Chanon's death was "extremely unfortunate" and difficult to discuss.

"We're not looking forward to reliving through any of it again," Hoy said.

Mesaros said the agency inspected DCS Sanitation Management's operations in 2001, 2002 and 2004, finding no violations.

by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krysstizzle
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:26 PM
3 moms liked this

Holy shit balls. What a horrifying way to die :/

And really?? "An OSHA report on the plant from last fall found machines were not locked during the tear-down process for cleaning. The inspector said an "unexpected start-up of the machine" could cause injuries."

What the hell. That's just disturbing. 

lancet98
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes there is that little rule about unplugging the thing for cleaning and tear down.

And some of these plants aren't very good.   So, when the rules aren't followed, any employees who complain are shown the door.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Quoting lancet98:

Yes there is that little rule about unplugging the thing for cleaning and tear down.

And some of these plants aren't very good.   So, when the rules aren't followed, any employees who complain are shown the door.

sad, huh?

Raintree
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Welcome to our food system.

Gross.

And sad. Just endlessly sad.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

OSHA pointed out there wasn't any lock out procedures in place so I do wonder if the company didn't bother to do so?  Were there guards or precautions in place to prevent someone from falling in while the blender was in operation?  Did this man ignore safety precautions and procedures already in place?  There are many questions to be answered, but I feel absolutely terrible for this man and his family.

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Wow.  

lancet98
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Generally, employees either say they are warned not to complain or they say that given the time constraints they're given, they have no choice but to remove guards, leave machines on, etc.   I think some machines take much longer to clean of residue and tear down if they are off.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Quoting lancet98:

sad, huh?

griefstrickin
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 5:33 PM
My dh is an electrical foreman for Pilgrims Pride Chicken and has to lock out on anything he is working on or is subject to be fired if not, its called safety which this company the man worked for should of strictly held in place.

My dh often prays before going into the spirals to change lights or do electrical work because he could possibly be sucked into huge running fans. Its so scary when I know he is working on the spirals.
God bless this poor man and his family, its terribly tragic to die like this especially while working for your family.
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 6:08 PM

How horrible.  I won't be surprised if the investigation turns up lots of safety shortcuts at this plant.  

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on May. 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh damn, I'm surprised I didn't see this in the paper.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN